Do you pre-plan everything? Suzanne Asquith doesn't!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
In her latest blog Suzanne Asquith tells of how her mother pre-planned holidays with military precision, another must read from the forum's favourite blogger............
See Suzannes blog Here

I have to admit that we don't do early and are happy to take things as they come, although I have to confess that I invariably tell Herself that we'll be setting off at a certain time but I deliberately factor in a couple of hours too early, safe in the knowledge that she would never make the time that I'd mentioned anyway
smiley-wink.gif

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Parksy said:
I have to confess that I invariably tell Herself that we'll be setting off at a certain time but I deliberately factor in a couple of hours too early, safe in the knowledge that she would never make the time that I'd mentioned anyway
smiley-wink.gif

Sounds like she's related to Mrs chrisbee.
smiley-laughing.gif

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Being a Virgo ... I can now indulge in my passion for lists well in advance of our caravan trips. Lists for equipment (so who cares if it's already in the van?), lists for clothing, lists for food, lists for the sake of lists - heaven! Still it didn't stop us forgetting several important pieces of equipment for our trip to Blackmore a few weeks ago ... my son's retainer (he tried to blame me for not packing it!), his football, his lead for his PS2 (see a pattern emerging anyone?), our bananas ... the 'list' goes on!). Luckily my parents were on hand and came to visit us for the day and brought all of our forgotten items with them. And yes, I am still writing lists and will happily continue to do so! I now have an ongoing 'list' of every piece of caravan equipment we own on my computer and shall happily add to that, as and when the time arises
smiley-laughing.gif
Lisa.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
We're off on Thursday for our annual Euro-jaunt, which this year takes in France, Holland and Germany. The only planning is to book our first site in France. We're already entered in the European Classic Caravan Rally in Maastricht, and have discussed a possible meeting with Lutz. The only other "plan" is the return ferry in June!
I'm writing this having taken a break from watching Herself pack the van. I'm now going to call it Tardis! We're only out for two months this time, so how the hell we coped for three months last year, I just don't understand!
smiley-frown.gif
Why do you ladies need so much stuff?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Parksy said:
In her latest blog Suzanne Asquith tells of how her mother pre-planned holidays with military precision, another must read from the forum's favourite blogger............
See Suzannes blog Here

I have to admit that we don't do early and are happy to take things as they come, although I have to confess that I invariably tell Herself that we'll be setting off at a certain time but I deliberately factor in a couple of hours too early, safe in the knowledge that she would never make the time that I'd mentioned anyway
smiley-wink.gif
She must be related to SWMBO who takes everything to the wire where total panic ensues because she is running late. And , you guessed it, it's always my fault
smiley-laughing.gif
I tend to add an hour onto the real time and have been known to change all the clocks for the reality effect!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I feel somewhat vindicated re the load of stuff that OH wants to put into the van. On a recent 7 day trip in March I had to point out that some 18kgs of Coke, squash, etc were readied for loading into the van. My meagre 6 bottles of Becks were not even included in this weight and they would only have contributed an extra 1.5kg! Sometimes think that OH does not relate quantity/volume to weight, or possibly fails to believe other counties and countries have shops to provide sustenance to their population.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We're like Suzanne and Emmerson - and don't plan very much at all. We just book an early ferry, have a chat about where 'we fancy' and then once off the ferry find somewhere to spend the night. In the morning we look at the weather and head off in the direction of the best sunshine forecast. Most of our stuff stays in the van, including clean bedding and towels, a lot of toiletries, washing up stuff, washing powder, and cleaning things, so food and a few clothes are all we need. Even this seems to be less and less each year as we cut down on the amount of 'not worn' stuff. Last year we took exactly a third of what we'd got out, and still came back with a lot of clean things! We do take staples - but that usually involves just emptying a cupboard, the odd shelf, and the fridge, and then it goes straight into boxes to be taken to the van!
In our most recent acquisition - an old van, sited within a 'bus-pass journey' of our home - so far we've forgotten a tin-opener, gardening tools (we have our own little plot to maintain), and a corkscrew, but used the 'emergency' multi-tool from the car. We borrowed a tin-opener, and got to know our neighbours, ending up sitting down for a glass of wine................ so not planning can have it's advantages!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To me the planning is a large part of the pleasure. Given that some of our jaunts are in the lesser visited parts of Europe it is essential to have a degree of planning. Campsites in France is a bit like London buses there will always be another one coming along in a minute but this is not the case elsewhere so I am not sure you can avoid plans, or at least a general framework! The important thing to remember about plans is that they can of course change because you sometimes arrive somewhere thats not as good as you imagined and stay longer at places you like. One thing we learned many years ago was never to use a crossing in the middle of the night so we always cross at civilised times of day, either staying near the Port and leaving at a reasonable time the next day or crossing mid afternoon and not going far on the other side. Likewise we try to avoid long days towing hundreds of miles so we get to our next site with plenty of time to set up. Once on site there generally is no plan and often we don't know what is in the area to see except in a few specific places.
David

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A lot of our stuff stays on the caravan, we've got 'caravan crockery, caravan bedding, caravan cutlery' etc, the toiletries stay in the washroom cupboards so it's not so much the amount of gear that we have to pack.
Herself will insist on taking enough clothes to last for months with every and any eventuality covered but what really takes the time is her 'leaving the house' ritual.
Everything has to be double checked, washed up, put away, tidied up, folded up and shipshape, every trip is like a major spring clean.
My number 3 son and his girlfriend come over to look after the house and the cat so notes have to be written, fresh bread and milk bought shortly before departure and of course Herself and Pickles the Pussy Cat then have to wish each other a protracted fond farewell.
I've given up fretting about the time, I sit in the car 'warming it up' while she treble checks everything one last time before with a wave to the cat who is sitting inside the kitchen windowsill regarding us impassively we're finally off!

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
We seem to take more each year but do try to leave at home next time the things not used. Leaving home in the spring (tomorrow) heading the sun we have to plan for: cold, wet, hot or dry in our packing whilst hoping the cold wet does not get used.
We know where we are going but never book and leave a flexible period to be taken en-route. We have done the "Get off the ferry and wander" thing but now we have an ever lengthening list of places that the year would not be complete without a visit so we are exploring less.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
We seem to take more each year but do try to leave at home next time the things not used. Leaving home in the spring (tomorrow) heading the sun we have to plan for: cold, wet, hot or dry in our packing whilst hoping the cold wet does not get used.
We know where we are going but never book and leave a flexible period to be taken en-route. We have done the "Get off the ferry and wander" thing but now we have an ever lengthening list of places that the year would not be complete without a visit so we are exploring less.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like Parksy we leave stuff in the caravan but according to SWBO
All laundry must be done before we leave because 'if anything happens to us while we are away she doesn't want someone else to go through dirty washing'
There won't be any food shops wherever we go.
Water in the Aquaroll is unlimited and it won't hurt to use it to wash up.
Toilet cassettes won't work unless you fill them with tissue.

Expect this post to be deleted when she reads it.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
What gets me every time is we book the site as far in advance as possible, the other half knows well in advance when we are going and yet we still end up stuffing items into the car half an hour after our expected departure time, because she hasn't had enough time to pack properly, then it's my fault for being impatient lol.
Cheers
John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts