Do you put up awnings in the rain

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
I've heard people say that you should never pack an awning away wet so what do people do when its raining on their last day. And also when you arrive on site and it is raining do you delay putting the awning up. Sorry to be so negative just thinking about Easter when we go away.

Dec 18, 2005
Visit site
We put ours up in the rain (providing it is not raining hard and blowing a gale).

As for taking it down, we look at the weather forecast - if it is forecast to rain on the day we leave we take it down the day before.

If it is wet when we put it away, we dry it when we get home (threading it onto the caravan on a dry day gets it dry in no time).

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We just do the same as Jeremy. It does mean sometimes having to travel with a wet awning in the car boot or the caravan which seems to take up a lot more space when wet.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Denise

we have a Scenic Plus which we have put up in rain, no problem, apart from me getting wet!

If its wet when we are leaving, we just put it into the shower then get it out on the washing line when we get home when its stopped raining - its dry in no time then back in the bag.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Denise

we have a Scenic Plus which we have put up in rain, no problem, apart from me getting wet!

If its wet when we are leaving, we just put it into the shower then get it out on the washing line when we get home when its stopped raining - its dry in no time then back in the bag.
As I cannot erect the awning on the caravan when I arrive home with it wet, I have fixed awning rail to the fascia board of the garage and use this.

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. We won't be abe to dry the awning on the van at home so any ideas on drying would be appreciated. We have got a big garage so maybe we could hang it in there.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Denise, we have the same problem, not enough room to put the awning up at home. We generally hang it in sections over the linen line if the weather is fine, if not dry it in the garage.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
If you need it you put it up.

When it rains you have vegetable matter in the rain, most awning cloths have anti mould treatments. If you "pack" it wet and leave to long or in a warm locker or van the wet combined with the vegetable matter will fester into mould and spores leaving a nice mess.

Just do not leave for more than a day or so if wet. Get it unfolded so the air gets to it and you will be ok.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
If you need it you put it up.

When it rains you have vegetable matter in the rain, most awning cloths have anti mould treatments. If you "pack" it wet and leave to long or in a warm locker or van the wet combined with the vegetable matter will fester into mould and spores leaving a nice mess.

Just do not leave for more than a day or so if wet. Get it unfolded so the air gets to it and you will be ok.
Vegetable matter in the rain? Don't you mean spores in the air?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts