Does overheating your clutch cause permanent damage ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, on the way way up to the Lake District last week, we had to queue at roadworks for approx 45 mins and travelled only about 1 mile....but it was all up hill and stop/start in first gear ! With the weight of the caravan on the back and the steep gradient, the clutch was smoking by the time we reached the summit and felt very spongy by the time we had cleared the roadworks.

Driving solo during the week the car ( Sorento manual ) seems fine but as I'm no mechanic, I wondered if I could have caused some permanent damage ?

Thanks,

Mike

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
The sponginess would, I guess, be due to boiling of the hydraulic fluid. This has probably been corrected just be cooling down, but I would bleed the clutch anyway, and probably replace the fluid.

Once upon a time I would have said you could have glazed the surface of the clutch pads, thus reducing their ability to grip the plates, but I've not seen inside a clutch for at least 15 years, so I'm not sure if the matrials used nowadays would still have this problem.

Given how expesive clutches are, I guess I would find a good steep hill, do a few slooooow hill starts, and see how it coped. If OK, try again with the van on the back.

You won't have done any permanent damage - clutches are technically a "consumable" item, like brake pads. They are, however, a lot dearer and a lot more difficult to replace!

Hi, we experienced a similar problem with the clutch on our Ford Galaxy after the motorway was closed because of an accident. We were also stuck in a queue of uphill traffic, towing our Sprite Major 6, for over 2 hours stopping and starting. Our clutch smelt like it was on fire. I took it the following day to my local garage and they took the car out for a test drive and did look at the car for me. Their advice was that unless the clutch started slipping there would be nothing to worry about. It may have slightly shortened the life of the clutch. We have since towed the van on more than half a dozen occasions and the clutch has been fine. Hope this helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike If I were you in that heavy up hill traffic jam. I would have used Low range 1st gear on the Sorrento,you would then need only tickover revs,just let the clutch stright up No slipping and no smell. also use this method for manuvering your van. Try it.All proper 4x4s have Low range.

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Mike,

All you have probably done is shortened the life of your clutch by couple of thousand miles and left a heat pattern on the flywheel, I would'nt worry about it too much it will not alter the car's driving ability.

Jan 30, 2005
Visit site
Mike If I were you in that heavy up hill traffic jam. I would have used Low range 1st gear on the Sorrento,you would then need only tickover revs,just let the clutch stright up No slipping and no smell. also use this method for manuvering your van. Try it.All proper 4x4s have Low range.
No need to use low range.

In 1st gear just let the clutch out slowly without touching the accelerator, let the in built idle control do the work.

This is best towing or solo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts