Does you rooflight blow open ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My main rooflight will blow right against its hinges at the slightest hint of a breeze from the back. It only runs on a track with no latches or keeps. The rear smaller one that I had fitted is much better and has a latch so it can be kept open at its first position. Useful for night ventilation.
You can buy an aftermarket latch that requires drilling of the surround for its pivot point. And it costs money too.

My solution is to put 13 amp three core cable in the tracks. Took all of five minutes. No expense spared I fitted one each side to keep the weight balance even.
F5EC2F6F-BD27-4CDB-B60A-3470C0D5605F.jpeg

Reactions: Richard and Ann
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's the same as ours. When we were in Spain I bought a foil car screen reflector and clipped it round the opening with fold back clips, leaving 2 triangle shapes either side for ventilation. Kept the sun out great and didn't move in the wind. Rain splashes in though 🙄

View attachment 1468
A neat solution. An excuse to hop down to Spain perhaps. 😁

• Love
May 24, 2014
Visit site
May be able to help you with this one. Recently we got some baby safety straps for cupboards etc as baby grandson is one of those that can open anything. Perhaps these may be your answer. Wont cause any damage as they are stick on.

DREAMTIMEJOY Baby Safety Locks Strap Cupboard Fridge Lock – Child Safety Lock Latch for Cabinet with 3M Adhesive (Pack of 8): Amazon.co.uk: Baby

Mine has a push button that is mounted just above the handle, which means you have to bush the button in before the handle will pass over it. That too should be an easy fit, see

CARAVAN / MOTORHOME- Dometic Seitz Mini Heki Rooflight Push Button White BG1329 | eBay

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
May be able to help you with this one. Recently we got some baby safety straps for cupboards etc as baby grandson is one of those that can open anything. Perhaps these may be your answer. Wont cause any damage as they are stick on.

DREAMTIMEJOY Baby Safety Locks Strap Cupboard Fridge Lock – Child Safety Lock Latch for Cabinet with 3M Adhesive (Pack of 8): Amazon.co.uk: Baby

Mine has a push button that is mounted just above the handle, which means you have to bush the button in before the handle will pass over it. That too should be an easy fit, see

CARAVAN / MOTORHOME- Dometic Seitz Mini Heki Rooflight Push Button White BG1329 | eBay
Thanks they look interesting items for a number of jobs. Both my Hekis have the push button like you show. The problems isn’t when it is all locked down, it’s when the main vent is raised. It is very sensitive to wind and it doesn’t need to be a gale. There are no keeps in the tracks to prevent its lugs from dropping down into the main track and then it’s easily blown fully open onto its hinges. My Harry Tate approach stops the lugs dropping down into the main track.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Ah I see, I hadnt quite got the jist of what you were saying. I reckon the first lot, i.e. the straps could operate as a safety strap then.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......I simply fitted a plastic stop to the track on one side just past the first two opening positions.
Thus it is either closed or in position 1 or 2.
I have no need to ever want to fully open the roof light.
I still close it in high winds or when towing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
......I simply fitted a plastic stop to the track on one side just past the first two opening positions.
Thus it is either closed or in position 1 or 2.
I have no need to ever want to fully open the roof light.
I still close it in high winds or when towing.
Yes I tend to close all roof lights when towing otherwise it resembles the good old days when the oncoming AA or RAC motorcycle patrol would salute me.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......then you must have left your roof lights wide open at least once for oncoming drivers to notice and for you to be able to recount that experience ;)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
.......then you must have left your roof lights wide open at least once for oncoming drivers to notice and for you to be able to recount that experience ;)
Not at all, there’s often two sides to a tale. I’m the one that flashes my lights and gesticulates at the oncoming outfit with a roof light open.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts