Dog ground spikes

Aug 27, 2005
Visit site
Anyone use these? Having 2 small but fiesty terriers Im a little concerned they may manage to pull them out of damp ground, but I could be overcautious with my boys!

Has anyone had this problem before I buy a pair?

Jane

x

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Jane, I use one of the screw in type ground spikes for my boistrous boxer dog and he hasn't pulled one out of the wet ground yet. We previously had another boxer dog who was a little more boistrous and sometimes aggressive and the ground spikes always held him in place too. I can't see them being a problem with your dogs so long as you screw the spike in upto the the free spinning lead attachment.

Graham B

Aug 27, 2005
Visit site
Jane, I use one of the screw in type ground spikes for my boistrous boxer dog and he hasn't pulled one out of the wet ground yet. We previously had another boxer dog who was a little more boistrous and sometimes aggressive and the ground spikes always held him in place too. I can't see them being a problem with your dogs so long as you screw the spike in upto the the free spinning lead attachment.

Graham B
Thanks Beechy! Im being paranoid arent I??

I shall get a pair over the weekend then :)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HI Jane

I agree with Beechy, I use one for my staffxbull terrier which is a very strong dog with an attitude problem towards other dogs and she can't pull it out.

Get one (ground spikes, not a dog like mine!) - they are worth their weight in gold.

Regards.

Lisa

May 12, 2005
Visit site
I`ve used the screw in type out side, and a knock in one in the awning, I use 7feet of light chain to tether the dogs with, this means that all the pull is side ways and not up. I`ve never lost a dog in six years

Sep 7, 2005
Visit site
I find the screw difficult to get turned down into the hard ground but please fellow caravaners don,t tie your dog up to the tow car tow ball. Seen a woman driving along unaware her dog was struggling behind her. She finally stopped before exiting the site by a man jumping out in front of her after she had not seen or heard the concerned people running behind her.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kieth

Sorry but that's actually quite a funny story.

Even speaking as an ex fundraiser for the RSPCA.

Regards

LH

Aug 27, 2005
Visit site
Reminds me of the tale about a guy locally who stopped for a chat while the railway barriers were down. He tied his dog to the barrier.......

The dog did live to tell the tale.

Anyway, thanks for the reassurance. Ive not tied the dogs out before and as I said these 2 are my babies. Bob is a westie, Jack a Scottie. whilst I imagine Bob would happily spend the day lazing in the sunshine Jack is more of a livewire and would run rings around a spike.

After reading your replies Im fairly confident that our first trip will be ok, and belive me Ill sleep easier for not worrying about it!

Jane

x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jane - we have a very strong & boystrous 25kg choccy Labrador who has never pulled out the ground spike (screw type) on a 5 metre lead, although he's very laid back with other dogs & people. Get your self an indoor kennel for the evenings - the dogs will love it and you'll have complete peace of mind at night.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I also wouldn't be without one. Two terriers won't pull it out of the ground if its screwed into the hilt. Easy way if the grounds hard, is to slip your steady winder bar through the top for extra leverage, works a treat.

Aug 27, 2005
Visit site
Thanks! Mike, we have a collapsible crate for them at night, they only use it overnight because we tend to have a lot of foxes in the garden and they get charging round if they sense them!

Plan was to take the crate and drop them in it inside the van, or even buy them an inner tent for the awning to sleep in through the summer months.

Great tip about the winder bar!! Id never have considered that!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts