Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Camping at Cromer this year and on the 3rd day my wife announced that she could smell dog wee in the awning, I gave the dog a good taking to and told her 'problem solved' next day even I could smell it, so the dog got a more serious talking to.

Thinking hard I was reminded of a situation that arose 20 years ago when a caravan pulled up next to me and the owner took out a tin of Jayes fluid, pored it into a spray can, topped up with water, then sprayed the awning area, he then said to me 'this will sweeten thing up a bit', I didn't gave it much more though till now.

After all this time the penny has dropped, what happens when a caravan owner with a dog, but, without an awning or has small porch awning his dog will wee on the uncovered grass area.

And when this is covered with a ground sheet and gets warm it will smell like dog wee because it is dog wee.

My proposal is to for caravan owners in the interest of hygiene to disinfect your awning area before laying ground sheet. Is this a new idea which ranks a Nobel Prize?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I can't help you there newton, we never leave our dogs in the awning alone. Sometimes after waking and taking them out for their first ablutions they might pee on the roadway, especially the 15 year old, and as I get older I understand why.

We only go to sites with a dog walk and even then try to get a pitch as close to the walk entrance as possible.

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I agree, I will bring my dettol with me so I can disinfect after we leave each site with our beasts of disease. I also propose the caravan club charge per size of the dog's bladder as the greater the size of the bladder the greater the amount of wee on site. Now you've got competition for that Nobel Prize.

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
the SOLUTION

An old remedy for all caravan users

Step 1 is to mix a solution of fifty percent white vinegar and fifty percent water. You must use a liberal amount of this solution to reach the carpet fibers deep down. Work the solution in with a scrubbing brush to ensure it penetrates the down to the soil and below or hardcore. Now blot the area again using the paper towel method above. The vinegar will neutralize the ammonia in the dog urine. If you own a wet and dry vacuum extractor use that to remove excess moisture.

When the area has dried or almost dried sprinkle a good handful of baking soda over the soiled area. Mix half a cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide with a teaspoon of detergent. Ordinary liquid dishwashing detergent is quite suitable. Put on a pair of rubber gloves and slowly pour the hydrogen peroxide and detergent mixture over the baking powder. Work the dissolving baking soda well into the grass or hardcore, first with your fingers and then with a scrubbing brush.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Newton

Have you got any pics of anyone carrying out this exercise and the ensuing furious warden chasing the caravanner off his site?

Lisa

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

My mate used his wife's vacuun cleaner to get the mud of his wet German Shepherd.

He bought her a new cleaner very soon after. The old one filled the house with "Mature" wet canine every time it was used thereafter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts