Dogs in awnings

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
Like many people we've recently purchased a caravan so that we can have more holidays and long weekends away where we can take our dog. The plan is to have her sleeping in the awning in her crate - otherwise she'll probably go off exploring all on her own!! My only concern is whether an awning heater would be powerful enough to heat a full awning - particularly in the middle on winter. I'd love to hear from other dog owners to find out how they manage this and any other caravanning dog issues. Cheers, Liz

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
We have friends who do this and they make sure the cage is on something that insulates it from the ground and cover most of the cage with blankets, they do not use a heater.

Think about it - how much heating do you see in commercial kennels?

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
This is going to sound really naff - We have just bought two 'Pop Up Dog Tents' off of Ebay - the other half has decided that our two Border Collies are going to have to start sleeping in the awning (due to hairs, smells, & padding around in the night - personally I never hear them) and of course its now starting to get cold at night - I think these cost us about

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Sleeping arrangements for ours are simple, my feet, my legs, anywhere really. Can't get out in the night or I loose my sleeping bag!!

Sitting out and tethering, we have two dog pens that go together either as an extension from the awning or round the van door so there are no escapes when opening the van door and so we can all sit out without tieing the dog up. Only works with dogs that can't jump the 2' height of the pen.

Apart from that no real issues for us, she stays quietly in the van for an hour or so if we need to go out and the car is too hot, we always shut all blinds though or else she wouldn't stay quietly!

The carpets came out of our van the day we picked it up, we have rubber matting that can be jetwashed when it gets really bad and some washable rugs over that for the winter.

Oh the top tip is get a poodle, no hairs!!!! and an outside shower on the van is usefull for muddy paws and feet.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We have SBT's and they are both house dogs. However, they both sleep in crates in the awning, they aren't allowed in the van.

During the summer, heating is not really an issue. We ensure there are no draughs. We put an eco friendly ground sheet down and put the crates on top of that, side by side. If temperatures do drop, then we cover the crates with a couple of thick horse blankets (clean of course), LOL!

We are just about to start winter caravanning. So, I have bought a Dorema porch awning. I will do the following:

Put ground sheet down

Put thick cardboard over ground sheet where crates will be sited (might even put a couple of camping mats underneath too)

Put dogs bedding in crates

The older dog will wear either a fleece or knitted 'jumper'

We will cover both crates with a horse blanket or two

However, if temperatures drop significantly, then I have bought two single duvets 14.0 tog (I think). I'll put the duvets in the crates for them too so they can scratch about and eventually cover themselves up.

As stated, you jut have to bear in mind that you are taking a house dog out of the house and putting it in a 'tent' and there will obviously be a significant difference in temperatures between a house and awning. Personally I wouldn't have loads of heating on or have them in a warm van because you will then be putting them straight in the awning where there will be a significat drop in temperature.

Not sure if this has helped you or not.

Good luck.

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just as an afterthought.......

I've slept rough in a sleeping bag on concrete in appalling conditions in February three times for charity.

We were not allowed to sleep in tents etc, only sleeping bags and any cardboard etc we wanted to place under our sleeping bags.

The cold which comes up through the ground is incredible. It feels like ice. That's the only thing to bear in mind but if you have have plenty of insulation under your crate, it'll be fine. - and let's not forget that dogs and humans body systems work slightly differently anyway.

I've done a lot of voluntary work with homeless people and they all say the same thing about the coldness of the ground.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts