Dogs on beaches-where can they swim?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Planning next caravan trip, our dog loves to run along a nice beach and pop in and out of the water for a swim! Sadly, so many beaches have dog bans either all year or for the summer season because of dogs mess etc (won't touch on that subject, get too cross when dog owners don't clear up after their dogs etc) but can anyone recommend any particular beaches pref in England that are great for dogs?

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Lorraine,

I know you said England, but if you can stretch to N.Wales then try Black Rock Sands, just outside Porthmadoc - you can drive onto the Beach, then turn Left for Dogs, turn right for 'no dogs'.

Big open stretches of sand but in the dog section a freshwater stream cuts across the beach so they can even get a drink and wash off some of the salt before you put them back in the car.

Last year it was

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
If you want sandy beach that allows dogs I can recommend two.

Woolacombe, North Devon, fantastic for sand lovers - part of the beach is dog free, but the majority of it length is acceptable for dogs.

Borth/Ynylas, Mid Wales - again fantastic for sand lovers - the Ynylas end is dog friendly, not sure about the Borth end.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks for suggestions - we use Woolacombe on a regular base because it is brilliant for dogs - would like to find many more beaches, east coast, dorset, or does anyone know of some nice sites with very safe, clean rivers with good walking where the dogs can easily climb in and out for a good swim? Talk about "its a dogs life.....!!!" Hubby says "forget the dogs facilities - what about a decent pub?!" But no, its the dogs holiday, must get priorities right.....

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks for suggestions - we use Woolacombe on a regular base because it is brilliant for dogs - would like to find many more beaches, east coast, dorset, or does anyone know of some nice sites with very safe, clean rivers with good walking where the dogs can easily climb in and out for a good swim? Talk about "its a dogs life.....!!!" Hubby says "forget the dogs facilities - what about a decent pub?!" But no, its the dogs holiday, must get priorities right.....
Good grief, you must be a clone of Mrs Chrisbee. She always puts our dog's needs before mine.

Jan 22, 2006
Visit site
Hello,

East runton on the north Norfolk coast. There is a carvan club site at West Runton called Inceleboro fields which is lovely and Seacroft caravan site at East Runton. You can walk on the beach from East Runton to Cromer only putting the dogs on the lead as you reach Cromer.

We have visited this area a lot and love it but this year we are trying Woolacombe hope its as good.

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lorraine

we have the same dilemma as you our dog Ben a border collie loves the water, He`d stop in it all day if we let him,We go to Normans Bay C&CC site Pevensey they own the beach opp site 100 meters away and dogs are allowed on all the time, and I must admit we have never yet seen a dog mess there and the owner not pick it up. We are back there next month for a week or so then going to Tanner Park Farm CC site has a dog walk with a stream round it and the dogs in that as well.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Lorraine

We have two dogs and found that the best beaches for them are Perrenporth in Cornwall and Saunton Sands near Barnstaple which runs for miles and is surrounded by sand dunes and a golf course so there is no danger of the dog escaping into danger. If you require anymore info please let me know.

Adam

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts