Dogs on Sites ?

Mar 14, 2006
Visit site
Hello, would anyone out there know if there are any restrictions to the number of dogs allowed on sites, we have 3 all well behaved, and currently use our caravan to attend agility shows, but are thinking of upgrading our caravan, and getting more use out of it. but are worried that we won't be allowed on with our 3 dogs.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew, we have 4 dogs and never have a problem on CC sites with the number.

We have also stayed on commercial sites and apart from one they have all accepted the dogs, but then they would as they charge between 50p and

Mar 31, 2006
Visit site
Caravan Club Sites do not charge extra for dogs and some have designated dog walks, exercise areas. I did see a man with 5 small dogs this weekend. I don't think there is any restriction as long as they are well behaved and you clean up after them

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Our last half term break inthe West Country was ruined by almost constant barking from the 7 dogs belonging to the 4 caravans nearest to us. Dogs should not be a problem, as long as the owners are responsible. Sadly, many are not.

h

G

It comes down to that basic fact of life. Consideration for others. People should be allowed to follow whatever pastime they like, provided it is not illegal, and does not impair anyone else's pleasure.

There is, as far as I know, no restriction on the number of dogs one can take onto the Club sites, but.. if the numbers continue to increase then I suspect pressure will demand some controls.

By the way, just a thought. Should pets be restricted to dogs? Will the horse fraternity demand access for their 'pets'? And of course I did know a bloke who kept his crocodile on a lead and took it for 'walkies'.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I may be wrong but I think a couple of years ago a new rule was intoduced by the CC for their sites which limits the number of dogs to 3 per unit.

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
We stayed on The Pickaquoy Centre site in Kirkwall, Orkney in August 2005. Unfortunatelt for us, it was hosting a Sheepdog Show that very week (good timing eh?).

So, all the owners were devoted doggy people, but unfortunately for everyone else on the site, we had to endure endless barking and 'training sessions', to the total disregard of all other 'holidaymakers'.

Now if you've ever been to Orkney, you will know there is only 1 other site on the Main Island, some 15 miles away, so moving was not an option. Neither was complaining unfortunaltely, as where were the doggy people supposed to go?

Just a point, that despite the fact that some of the devotees are no doubt animal lovers, some (not all no doubt) totally disregard the non-doggy set.

PS. Orkney is lovely and well worth the trip, but check it isnt Dog Show week first!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunatelt for us, it was hosting a Sheepdog Show that very week (good timing eh?).

Brilliant!!!

I have two dogs, I'm quite lucky as the older dog is silent in the awning and the house and the youngster is almost there. If there's one thing I can't stand it's barking dogs on campsites and other people's houses.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh I am sure we all have our stories about this and that!

But as a genuine observation - If you want REALLY REALLY bad behaviour - you need people - NOT any sort of animal - just certain types of people.

A dog barking when left on its own? - a control collar cures that in days - the dog barks it gets a wiff of citronella - with a dogs sensitive ofactory organ it soon learns.

If a dog craps where it shouldnt - the owner is at fault.

But what do you do about the drunks, the kicking of a ball near your pride and joy, the lack of respect for your pitch?

Give me animals every time - far better behaved than some people.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Phil

I do symphasise with you. I know exactly how 'fired up' dogs can get, particularly when in training or attending an event. They do make a hell of a racket and it's a shame the campsite didn't contact you (to see if you still wanted to stay on site) when they realised that such a large number of competitive dogs and owners would be on site.

I bet it was a racket, I know what it's like as the last two championship dog shows I have been to with my dog (exhibiting) were held in sports halls and there was in excess of 400 other Staffordshire Bull Terriers at each show, VERY noisy.

Barking dogs arn't acceptable on campsites.

p.s. Just a tip - don't book any campsites in the NEC area from 8-11 March 2007 as that's when Crufts is taking place. (I'm stopping at a site in the West Midlands for Crufts too, with my dog).

Lisa

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Clive is right about the really bad behavior of some people and they are the people my post about kennels was aimed at. Most dog owners on site will take their dog on long walks and would never leave it alone for any length of time but , as I witnessed only last week at Sandrinham, there are those who's only reason for having a dog with them is because they have a dog. I saw a dog spend nearly the entire week tied to the towball of the car, it lead just happened to be long enough for it to crap in the hedges at the back of the pitch and it barked at anything that moved. It was only walked last thing at night in the woods,doggy bags.. I don't think so !!This type of dog owner should not take the dog away with them infact they shouldn't have a dog at all.

Brian

There maybe some unruly dogs on site. We`ve encountered the Staffy roaming around our caravan off lead and the dogs on the last few occasions off lead who have ran up to my Spanial and Rottweiler barking and causing a nuisance while mine were on lead but we walked away. We`ve had all the dogs go for mine under the sun even though the owners avoid us like the plague through ignorance. We`ve also encoutered the barking but do you know what? None of them done the hundreds of pounds worth of damage to out 2006 van that a child done with a boomerang!!!!!

Give me a dog anyday!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi northamfarm in somerset dont think they have a restrition and dogs are free there and site is across from the beach where your dogs can have a run

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Basically agree but with one exception - a friend had the most wonderful looking Golden Retriever but this thing was psychotic - not my analysis but the vet that in the end advised to have him put down.

No autopsy after so we do not know if it was a brain tumour or whatever.

What I do know is that he would come up to people all smiles and waggy tail then without warning go into full attack mode.

I believe dogs are dogs not substitutes for anything that is lacking in our lives. Makes me cringe when I hear people call their dogs "their babies". Yuk!! Take them to bed with them Double Yuk!!

If anyone hasn't done so read some of Richard Leaky's books on how man evolved. Strong evidence to suggest that man and dog evolved together in synergy as hunters.

If you read it you will not be able to stop yourself laughing at the "Ban hunting with dogs" brigade.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts