Domestic External Hook-up Socket

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hope someone can help. I want to install a site-style (blue 3-pin) hook up socket on the side of my house that the caravan hook up lead can plug into without the need for using the adapter and a "normal" external socket.

Has anyone else done this?

Sep 30, 2006
Visit site
It sounds a good idea assuming it is done correctly via an ELCB. Couldn't you use an adaptor, blue socket to 13A plug, available from caravan accessory shops and use a standard 13A socket?

Ron

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
I also fitted one (Screwfix)and wired it into the garage ring main which is RCD protected. I've also made up a 3 mtr hook up lead to plug the van in./ Very usefull.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
We too have done this and the van is pluggedin all the time.

I think now the law has changed you would need to get the work checked and passed by a qualified electician. The way around it is by using the blue plug/3 pin. Make the lead long enough to plug in and job done.

Kevin

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
We too have done this and the van is pluggedin all the time.

I think now the law has changed you would need to get the work checked and passed by a qualified electician. The way around it is by using the blue plug/3 pin. Make the lead long enough to plug in and job done.

Kevin
I thought about doing this too. problem is, as Trucker says, the law has changed. You cannot now do electrical work in certain 'wet areas' such as bathrooms and kitchens - including outside unless you are registered as a 'competent person'.

In theory, you can do it yourself, but firstly you need to inform Building Control at the local authority and inform them what you are going to do (costs over

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I use site mains lead, with a 13 amp plug inplace of the blue plug.

This plugs into a socket via a ELCB.

Only plug it in when charging.

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I to have wired one onto an outside wall,( screwfix also like Chrisbee ) and to get over the need for an electrician to check wiring it ends in a 13amp plug, which then goes into an RCD trip in a 13amp socket. I ran the cable through plastic conduit under the path and up the wall to the outside socket, then made up a lead to the caravan, and it is left connected all the time when we are home.

Greg.

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Have consulted an electrician & booked him to do the work. He is going to install a "commando" socket (as they are known) and it will be properly certified etc.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Jennifer

Ask the electrician to fit an internal isolating switch for the outside socket, then if you have any issues you can isolate the socket.

Also you will have control of the caravan charging etc with out leaving your home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts