dometic 12v fridge

Apr 20, 2021
Visit site
Hi I am having a problem with the 12v supply to my dometic fridge the problem appears to be intermittent I have had the fridge control panel checked and all appears to be ok
on checking my bailey oklahoma there is no life however 240v and gas are ok the multimeter reading from my 12s socket is 12.67ahm can anyone help thanks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi I am having a problem with the 12v supply to my dometic fridge the problem appears to be intermittent I have had the fridge control panel checked and all appears to be ok
on checking my bailey oklahoma there is no life however 240v and gas are ok the multimeter reading from my 12s socket is 12.67ahm can anyone help thanks
No fridge in a caravan will work on 12v as that is not part of the design. The 12v switch is there for when the caravan is connected to a car with the engine running. If you had to run a fridge on 12v using an inverter it would probably drain the abttery in a hour.

Reactions: Dustydog
May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi welcome to the forum
You say the fault is intermittent on 12v and OK on gas and 240v, the fridge will only work on 12v when connected to towing vehicle, if its intermittent when connected to the towing vehicle it could be a bad connection /bad earth, or some smart alternators will let voltage drop to less than 12.6v and so the relay to run the caravan would open and stop supplying voltage to caravan. We also have a senator Oklahoma

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Perhaps some of the replies are a little short on information.

Caravan fridges usually can be cooled on 230V mains. LPG gas, or 12V but this needs a bit more detail.

Modern fridges often need a two 12V feeds, one 12V dc feed to operate the fridges control panel only, it does not cool the fridge. This should work when the 12V systems are switched on in the caravan.

The second 12V feed does cool the fridge and is only connected when the caravan is being towed.
This feed automatic disconnects when the tow vehicle stops providing power, so you cannot cool the fridge from the caravan battery.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Or more simply as written so makes sense put in the 2 posts by Buckman and gralay, the fridge works on gas or 240 volts and if you pre cool the fridge it’ll keep cool while your towing when engine running, no engine ripening no fridge working

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If the vehicle connection is 12S I would seriously suggest you check the vehicle socket - they were
very prone to overheating at the currents involved. Unlike 13 pin the 12S had only one earth on pin 3 which supplied -ve for the battery connection on pin 4 and the fridge on pin 6. Pin 7 was defined as earth for pin 6 but it was rarely used for such, and pin 5 was unused so could also be pressed into service as another earth.

Reactions: Dustydog
May 24, 2014
Visit site
When I had my towbar fitted to my previous Shogun I allowed the engineer to connect directly into the wiring loom. With this Shogun, we used a dedicated wiring kit and it caused fridge issues similar to the OP. When towing, the fridge lights were on and off intermittently. It appears, as has been suggested that the car was taking control of the power distribution and not providing enough for the fridge. The answer was to run a fused cable from the ignition side of the cars electrics directly to the fridge feed via the towbar. I have had no problems since and had three caravans on this car.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS