Dometic fridge not working on gas

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I haven't seen any evidence on this forum of anyone treating gas systems flippantly.
I was refering to this comment
This might sound horrendous, but a proven method to correct is to remove the fridge - turn it up side down. Give it a few gentle shakes then rest it for a minute or so. Turn back to its up right position - shake again then rest. Repeat the above then re install the fridge.

I felt it was pertinent to reference the domestic points of the regulations to show how seriously gas safety needs to be taken, and to show how the GSIAUR are not the only regulatory requirements then need to be fulfilled even on private touring caravans and motorhomes by their owners.

Regarding the OP's problem, He clearly has not resolved it, and it needs more investigation and if it needs disassembly it should be referred to professionals.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't think that Tintentman was being flippant when he suggested turning the caravan fridge upside down Prof.
Not many of us would agree that turning a fridge on a workbench upside down would be likely to restore depleted refrigerant, more than likely rust flakes or debris has been moved which could cause a caravan fridge to start to work again, however temporary the solution may be.
As stated elsewhere, this forum deals with practical aspects of touring caravan ownership including repairs.
It's for the individual who is asking the question to decide if they have the ability to carry out repair or maintenance work on their tourer or motorhome themselves or if they should consult a professional repairer.
We can't decide for them and we're not an enforcement agency.
Trying to scare members away by throwing comments about domestic installations at them is unhelpful.
They've read the advice presumably, so it's for them to decide how to proceed.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
How many caravan dealerships use a qualified gas enginer to check and repair caravan gas systems? My guess is very few dealerships as a person with the qualifications will probably be working elsewhere earning a lot more money for less stress.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
How many caravan dealerships use a qualified gas enginer to check and repair caravan gas systems? My guess is very few dealerships as a person with the qualifications will probably be working elsewhere earning a lot more money for less stress.
No idea about Dealers but I do know my Mobile engineer is a member of The Approved Workshop Scheme and the Mobile Caravan Engineers Association. He is “competent” on all aspects of caravan gas systems. I guess the old saying “Your life in their hands”😜😜😜

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No idea about Dealers but I do know my Mobile engineer is a member of The Approved Workshop Scheme and the Mobile Caravan Engineers Association. He is “competent” on all aspects of caravan gas systems. I guess the old saying “Your life in their hands”😜😜😜
The AWS technician we used last year is gas qualified according to his website as it has a Gas Safe logo and he mentions this the "About" section of his website.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The AWS website “ majors” on the servicing aspects of the caravan, and specifically dwells on checking gas appliances. There’s a difference between checking and repair/ servicing of gas appliances. I recall Damian describing what he had to do to be able to carry out wide ranging repairs. It was way over what would be required for the annual caravan service.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I don't think that Tintentman was being flippant when he suggested turning the caravan fridge upside down Prof.
Not many of us would agree that turning a fridge on a workbench upside down would be likely to restore depleted refrigerant, more than likely rust flakes or debris has been moved which could cause a caravan fridge to start to work again, however temporary the solution may be.
As stated elsewhere, this forum deals with practical aspects of touring caravan ownership including repairs.
It's for the individual who is asking the question to decide if they have the ability to carry out repair or maintenance work on their tourer or motorhome themselves or if they should consult a professional repairer.
We can't decide for them and we're not an enforcement agency.
Trying to scare members away by throwing comments about domestic installations at them is unhelpful.
They've read the advice presumably, so it's for them to decide how to proceed.
Turning an absorption fridge upside down to restore the efficiency is a long-standing tip from decades ago - I can't say if it's a myth or not.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The AWS website “ majors” on the servicing aspects of the caravan, and specifically dwells on checking gas appliances. There’s a difference between checking and repair/ servicing of gas appliances. I recall Damian describing what he had to do to be able to carry out wide ranging repairs. It was way over what would be required for the annual caravan service.
On our Lunar we used a dealership for annual servicing. Shortly after its third service when it was out of warranty, I had an issue and asked an AWS technician to rectify the issue. When he was doing the repair he noticed that underneath a gas pipe was corroded near a join and gas was leaking out.
Strangely enough I had complained to the dealer about an occasional smell of gas and was told that it was the new spare wheel in the front locker. We did wonder why we had being using so much gas with the result that we bought our first Safefill bottle. The AWS tech did the repair for £25.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......... also forgot to mention our fridge door broke off on the way here.

...........the OP reports the above and that the fridges gas burner is lit and hot.
I would be checking the door now fastens and seals properly before I looked for any gas faults.
Bad fitment of the door could easily cause poor cooling performance.

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts