Done it ! First trip !

Jul 23, 2022
Visit site
After joining recently, and posting about our first ever caravan research and purchase, we've finally hooked up for the first time ( towed for the first time, pitched for the first time - you get the picture ) and as a few members asked for updates ............

Arrived at the storage pound ( Scone, near Perth) to see our new pride and joy was still there . Started taking the corner steadies up when the pre-booked mobile service engineer arrived to do the annual service. After a quick chat we left him to it, while we done a "dummy run" to the site we had booked for the next 5 nights. Being very nervous and aware of our ( lack of) experience, it was 25 miles up the road ! The road looked good, clear, wide, and should be no problem .....
Got back to the 'van, and was relieved to get a clean bill of health from the Engineer, who also stayed and assisted/ checked first coupling up and ran through how everything worked. When he drove away, we both had a huge "gulp" , feeling very abandoned...
Drove very slowly out and into the road, feeling both apprehensive and excited at the same time. Driving along the road it immediately hit me how those roads were not as wide as I thought ! Despite having my nice new mirrors on, and having a relatively small 'van, it felt massive and wide. Got to the campsite ( '5 roads ' nr Alyth) and was shown to our pitch - feeling relatively confident for the first time as it was only reversing ( fresh from my CACC course), and after my Third attempt i was in 👍 Not kidding - ' Mrs ' warden then comes over and tells me I'm on the wrong pitch!
Second attempt at the next pitch (4 down from where we are) and we're finally uncoupling and starting to relax.
Over the next couple of days it's just pure heaven: everything works, and more importantly we're sussing out how to work it. Drew up a list of all the things we never knew we needed ( oven trays, two-into-one waste pipe, a higher step, self adhesive hooks, coat hangers, 2ft long hose with connector for the water tap to bottle, watering can to fill the 'cistern' etc etc)
The 'van came with a full awning, but due to the great weather and heat, we decided not to bother getting it out and trying it. Our 'camping table/chairs/gas stove' were all used and left outside for the duration.
A great,relaxing 5 days followed, trying not to think of all those narrow roads that lay in the return leg.
The whole experience has been amazing - is it always as bright, sunny, chilled and relaxing as this ?
Now planning the next trip in a week's time :- looking at travelling a really long distance, and going up to 50 miles !!

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Ah that's just great! I remember (just) our first outing, and the experience was similar although having an artic licence the towing bit didn't bother me.

When you come to erect your awning for the first time my advice woud be......
They are not call "A divorce in a bag" for nothing, so................

Leave yourself plenty of time, as in at least an hour or so, preferably longer.
Don't rush anything
If it looks wrong, it probably is wrong.
Don't be afraid to ask for help, we all had to put an awning up for the first time and recall how difficult it seemed. Others on site will always be happy to lend a hand/assist/advise, so don't be afraid to ask.

If you look like you are having trouble you will probably find someone will come along and offer to help you anyway, so accept, and learn!!,

Good luck, I am sure you will have many years making happy memories!,

Reactions: Ferrodo
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As the others have said, well done, only had to change pitch once, due to a stroppy Warden,. Yes roads are narrow when you are towing, I have lost a couple of rear high side light to hedges. Enjoy your next trip away.

Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
Take it easy, take it steady, enjoy it.
We're into our 33rd season of caravanning and still learning.
If you're sociable look at membership of one (or both) of the clubs. There are the CAMC centres with rallies here and abroad. Also C&CC DAs with rallies, meets and THSs all of which can broaden your caravanning experience - if you equip for off-grid - often for a small outlay per night.
You can also look at the ACCEO groups for further events.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Glad it all went well for you, no better way to relax than ‘vanning….. just an observation, in your list of “need to get “ you didn’t mention levelling ramps/ kit and van levelling can also cause a bit of friction between people as can the awning.
😉

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Glad it all went well caravanning only had to change the pitch once and have a great time on your next trip

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed you first foray into new adventures!
While making a list of additional items please consider the allowable payload for the caravan. The small plate usually by the entrance door will give Mass In Running Order (MIRO) and the maximum permissible (MTPLM) . Google the MIRO for the year of your van as the inclusion changed in 2010/11, then anything you carry in the van comes off the payload which in some vans can be a mean total! Makes you wonder when the new arrival on the adjacent pitch unloads a cast iron parasol base and full set of garden furniture!

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Congratulations Clydesider. Your pre planning and dummy drive to site worked well.Enjoy all your trips and just take your time. Do you have or use a checklist , like a pilot say? 45 years on we stil use one so as not to forget anything particularly our pre departure caravan / car checks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had spreadsheet lists for a combination of types of trip EG winter long weekend, summer one, two weeks full summer holidays in Britain and same for abroad. Amendments to cater for grandkids etc.

So starting with a full weighed inventory of what we had, clothes,food, plus awning stuff, fluids in loo and flush etc Literally everything we could possibly take. It also helps weight control as you become very aware then of the impact of new “ must haves”
i transferred items into the various lists where some would go in the van and others in the car. It sounds a bit complicated but I could call up a populated spreadsheet and make any adjustments required before printing off. It gave me payload, caravan weight compared to MTPLM. Even with some goodly years of experience I still used the spreadsheet approach right through to our last caravan trip prior to selling it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is amazing (actually quite logical) how the weight of what you take adds up, The box of tissues, the local where to go what to see guides, spare batteries for the torch, the pairs of wellies , umbrella food in the fridge and cupboards ...... and so on and that before you even set off

Then when your on holiday what about the souvenirs, and bottles of wine or beer, cornish pasties...

Just take care and enjoy.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It is amazing (actually quite logical) how the weight of what you take adds up, The box of tissues, the local where to go what to see guides, spare batteries for the torch, the pairs of wellies , umbrella food in the fridge and cupboards ...... and so on and that before you even set off

Then when your on holiday what about the souvenirs, and bottles of wine or beer, cornish pasties...

Just take care and enjoy.
On one long trip to France we took 2x15kg bags of dog food. That was counterbalanced by saucisson sec, cheeses and tins of cassoulet, for the trip back. Not all of the dog food was eaten I might add.

Jul 23, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments guys.
Re the levelling ramp: van came with a 2 piece banana shaped and coloured thing - soon worked it out after I scraped the tile adhesive off the spirit level i took with me !
I checked the Payload from the "matching service" print-out i got from the c&cc, which is very useful and informative. Out of the 172kg I have availab!e, I've to subtract the gas bottle, awning and poles, motor mover, water bottles etc etc, which I've still to do ; I was keen to just get going ! 😄
I did have the occasional but of juddering - so I've put together a wee box of kit for my second trip which is next week :-
Bathroom scales
Old pick axe handle
Saw
Piece of flat wood.

Hopefully the juddering is due to incorrect noseweight (54-76 lbs from aforementioned print out )

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Doesn’t your MRO include for one gas bottle 6 kg gas? Also battery unfortunately comes out of payload. Win some lose some. In the Owners Manual on my last van Swift listed what is within MRO. It was one gas cylinder, electric hook up, steady winder, step, document pack, water hose, no fluids in water heater or toilet.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Clydesider, I would really check your caravans weight, and if your brave enough, ( I am not) ask the wife t reduce what she wants to take away, I reduce, a six pack for a hair dryer, my beers, and ciders go in a cool box in the car , two bottles of white wine and a six pack of cider in the lower part of the fridge, for immediate use after pitching up, without arguing.
He ho , It's all good fun. .

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Presumably you have cleaned any black paint off the tow ball? I have just had new stabiliser pads fitted with the AWS annual service and ‘groaning’ a bit more than usual when articulating. When I get home I will clean both the ball and pads with spray brake cleaner. Not sure that fits your description of juddering but maybe it helps?

Reactions: Ferrodo
Jul 23, 2022
Visit site
It's a brand new detatchable; I took the paint off it for the cacc reversing course. I gave it another quick fine run down and degreased before putting on. As it was AWS serviced an hour before I hitched then maybe the stabilizer pads were cleaned ? It's something I've never thought about, so thanks for the tip - I'll add it to the check list.
Would a badly balanced van cause it ? The only thing in the van was the full awning and poles, and the two big water containers - all of which were ( stupidly) in the shower right at the rear end.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It's a brand new detatchable; I took the paint off it for the cacc reversing course. I gave it another quick fine run down and degreased before putting on. As it was AWS serviced an hour before I hitched then maybe the stabilizer pads were cleaned ? It's something I've never thought about, so thanks for the tip - I'll add it to the check list.
Would a badly balanced van cause it ? The only thing in the van was the full awning and poles, and the two big water containers - all of which were ( stupidly) in the shower right at the rear end.
Nose load is important as said by Hutch.
I never carry anything in the shower cubicle. The tray is delicate . Awning poles etc may damage the tray in transit.Not cheap to replace.The groaning you heard is very common from the hitch. I take the view it proves the pads are doing their job gripping the ball. Every so often a quick clean with a rag and brake cleaner fluid, NOT Brake Fluid, will keep it clean

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts