Don't forget to pack...

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

As we're new to caravanning, I'm sure we're going to get to our destination & find we've forgotten something vital! It won't be anything obvious like the aquaroll - it will be something like a bottle opener... Any suggestions for things which should never be left behind?

Sue

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Sue

We always found it best to completely kit the caravan out with it's own seperate equipment - including the bottle opener - so then you won't need to transfer items from the house every time you go out.

The only things I put in our van is perishable foods, I always keep a few tins and jars in there permanantley, clothing, and of course the wine and beer!! Things like toiletries are always stored in the 'van, and I keep seperate towels and tea towels, which are washed an put straight back in for the next outing.

We are lucky enough to have our caravan at home, if yours is stored then this could be a bit more difficult. :O)

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Frank & Sue, If you go to Equipment & Accessories & go to page 10, you will see a posting sent by Jeff on the 10th of April more or less asking the same question. Hope this helps.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
We're also pretty new to caravanning, but like somebody else does - we have kitted out our van with everything to keep in there..

ie- caravan toiletries (toothbrush/soap/shampoo/etc)

caravan towels and flannels (so i dont have to take any from the house)

first aid kit (headache tablets/tummy upset tablets/allergy tablets/insect bite stuff)

food stuffs (supply of tinned soups/baked beans/salt/pepper/vinegar) that always stay in the van

Cleaner - multi purpose cleaner/polish

books/magazines/croquet set/playing cards/board games

all the above stays in the van so all we have to do is take our clothes and perishable foodstuff and we're ready to go!

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
also forgot -

frying pan

knives

chopping board

teapot

toaster

tin foil

bin bags

swing bin liners (handy as doggy "clean up" bags)

dog towels

throws - i cover up all the caravan upholstery with throws

food mats and coasters

tv aerial lead

spare bulb kit

caravan manuals

also we cover the floor with that heardwearing plastic "runner" stuff as we have the dog.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Sue

We always found it best to completely kit the caravan out with it's own seperate equipment - including the bottle opener - so then you won't need to transfer items from the house every time you go out.

The only things I put in our van is perishable foods, I always keep a few tins and jars in there permanantley, clothing, and of course the wine and beer!! Things like toiletries are always stored in the 'van, and I keep seperate towels and tea towels, which are washed an put straight back in for the next outing.

We are lucky enough to have our caravan at home, if yours is stored then this could be a bit more difficult. :O)
wendy you do exactly the same as us...we dont take anything from the house - only clothes and perishables. the caravan has its own seperate stuff to the house.

G

And don't forget to hire the Transit van to carry all the stuff behind you!!

Seriously, do take account of the weight of everything you are packing. It is very easy, as I have found out, to overload the van. Food, magazines and books etc are heavy items and the kilos can soon pile on.

G

So a Mars Bar and a juice drink really helps combat heavy traffic? I'm going to buy all I can get my hands on ;-)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Sue

My Onboard Manager (the missus) does exactly the same. Within one hour of arriving home the washing machine is on and when the towels etc. are laundered they are back on the van. I suppose thats the beauty of having the van at home :O)

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
So long as you have the necessary documents (passport, ferry tickets, car docs etc. as appropriate) DON'T FORGET THE CREDIT CARD! Anything you have forgotten can then be bought once you arrive.

Jun 30, 2005
Visit site
We also have a second set of everything in the van apart from the obvious. One tip is to weigh everything as you put it in and keep the list in the van too. Once you have the 'weekend kit' put the awning and the longer trip kit in, again weighting it. Once this is all in check you noseweight and adjust till its correct for the van / car combination.

With all this in the van, you know exactly what you are carrying and know at a glance what weight you have left.

Once final tip - like us you may only pack the whole lot once a year, sometimes twice. It is very useful once you have got your weights right and its packed in to take a couple of photos as you load it all in so you know what went where last time!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts