Downlighter wattage ?

May 18, 2007
Visit site
I have been playing around with G4 bulbs in my van. Have tried LED's but not too impressed with illumination.

What wattage should the G4 bulbs be ? I have put in what I thought was correct but now the halogen bulbs dazzle !!

Also base on halogen wattage what would the LED equivalent be ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jon,

The Halogen G4 format of bi-pin bulb is available in wattages from 5 to 35W.

You need to check the fitting which should have the maximum wattage of bulb it can safely take- if you put an over rated bulb you may be in danger of over heating the fitting and wiring with a fire being a possible consequence.

Its not possible to make direct comparisons between the power rating of LED and halogen bulbs, for a number of reasons. LED's are technically far more efficient than filament bulbs but the quality of the light (Band width and colour temperature)is also different.

LED's tend to produce a very narrow band of light frequencies. So called white LEDS tend to produce a bluish light with only a small red content - tending to feel and look cold. By comparison, a Halogen bulb produces a much wider spectrum of colours which is warmer and probably more satisfying to read by.

The halogen bulbs are available in clear and frosted designs. Clear bulbs will give a slightly sharper edge to any shadows the light casts, and are like to produce a highly focused bright spot in their field of view. This can feel almost clinical. The frosted bulbs will give a more evenly balanced light spread in their field of view, producing a flood rather than spot light effect.

I suggest google "G4 bulbs" and you will find a range of companies offering a wide range of bulbs.

TRENDING THREADS