DPF Cleaners. Any Good?

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Most of us have diesel cars and no doubt a lot of us have had the dreaded DPF Blocked message. Has anyone used a DPF Cleaner? If so are they any good? Or a waste of money?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Depends what you mean by dpf cleaner.We use a 2 part cleaner,basically acid based solution direct into front end of dpf,pump it through and let it dissolve soot,wash through with part 2.put all back together and run car on a forced dpf regeneration,road test,all good.About an hour labour,£100 parts,£50 diagnostic.
After this treatment it should be good for another 100k miles,but ask yourself why it's blocked?do you have a pipe blocked,a dpf temp sensor inop,or something else.
If you mean dpf cleaners that you add to the fuel tank,you're wasting your money.Most cars will regen of their own accord about every 150 miles,regardless of if you do short journeys or long journeys,but if you only do short journeys it won't be driven for long enough to complete regen,if that makes sense.
I will say,once your dpf is blocked the car won't unblock it on its own.Hope this helps,far to many different varieties of car to give an exact answer,but hopefully you get the idea,cheers.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m on my third dpf installed Car since 2010 and never had a problem with the dpf system giving trouble. I tend not to use the cars for short town journeys or short journeys in general. I have always used branded fuels often filling with super diesel as it burns cleaner and has a far lower ash content than standard branded diesel. It’s the ash that finally causes the dpf to end life unless the soot gets it first.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Most 'modern' cars with a DPF have a cleaning cycle as part of the EMU mapping. It checks the oxygen(?) levels into and out of the DPF and if they don't match the program then it runs a cleaning cycle. Said cycle is usually changing the engine running parameters to deliberately get the DPF to a much higher temperature than normal. It is this cycle that sometimes causes the fans to run for 5-10 minutes after you walk away from the car just to cool the engine.
Having said that towing a caravan has much the same effect as the cleaning cycle so if you have been towing of late the DPF will probably be fairly clean.
If you haven't been towing then another way to clean it is to go for a run on the motorway and keep the revs at or above 2000 for 30 minutes - this will usually mean 50mph+ in fourth gear. (Goes against the grain.....)
My garage also told me that giving it an occassional tankful or two of quality fuel - such as Shell or BP - is also a good idea if you normally use supermarket fuel.
For the record my Passat 2L 140 TDi CR estate has just had its second MoT at 75K miles and the emissions were unreadable so it got an immediate pass on the Smokometer.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As I've said before,if you give a car a good run every couple of weeks,and a short"thrash" it'll be fine,personally I do about 7,000m a year using supermarket fuel most of time ,never had a problem.Most cars we see with dpf blockage problems it's usually something causing it,like egr valve stuck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts