Draft proof floor cabel holes coachman 2008

Aug 10, 2024
Visit site
Hi, as we head towards the colder weather I wanted to explore making my coachman amara a little warmer.

I have noticed that there are lots of holes in the floor where cables run under the caravan. They seems to have a draft coming in under the bed.

Can I block these up and if so what is the best way to do it? Silicon, expanding foam or what?

Reactions: Hutch
Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
If the holes in the floor are gas drop-outs then I concur with Hutch, gas drop-outs should be readily identifiable as they will have a mesh grid rodent\insect screen over the openings.

If the holes are there to facilitate cable or pipework access and egress etc. then they can be sealed, they should have been sealed anyway to prevent rodent and insect access etc.

Either expanding foam or silicone will do the job but silicone will prove easier to achieve a neater finish and will not absorb water.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If the holes in the floor are gas drop-outs then I concur with Hutch, gas drop-outs should be readily identifiable as they will have a mesh grid rodent\insect screen over the openings.

If the holes are there to facilitate cable or pipework access and egress etc. then they can be sealed, they should have been sealed anyway to prevent rodent and insect access etc.

Either expanding foam or silicone will do the job but silicone will prove easier to achieve a neater finish and will not absorb water.
That's a good point Anseo, something I had overlooked.

Reactions: Anseo
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Some manufacturers run the cables down through gas drop holes - so not always possible to tell whether it's safe to seal around cables.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
However on all our caravans the gas holes have never had the bare or cut edges sealed to prevent water ingress. When querying this, we were not told it is not necessary.

Aug 10, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I had not thought about the gas drop holes. It’s a 2008 model so a bit older. There are separate holes covered with mesh and the rest are for electric cables, water and waste water. From the inside the electric cables, water and waste water holes do not seem to be sealed. From your suggestions a bitumatic seal from under neath might be best. This should stop anything getting in and protect the underneath.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I had not thought about the gas drop holes. It’s a 2008 model so a bit older. There are separate holes covered with mesh and the rest are for electric cables, water and waste water. From the inside the electric cables, water and waste water holes do not seem to be sealed. From your suggestions a bitumatic seal from under neath might be best. This should stop anything getting in and protect the underneath.
Cable and pipe penetration holes are rarely sealed so no problem sealing those. I used electricians waterproof putty compound. Useful in other areas too such as motor mover terminals. Not too difficult to remove if required. The mesh covered holes are gas drop vents so must remain free when you use the van for safety. I’d just put some duct tape across but do remember to remove it before using the caravan.

Electrical putty

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You should also be aware that by law caravan need to have a prescribed amount of fixed ventilation split between high and low level vents to ensure the occupants have enough air to breathe. THe ventilation must not be obstructed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts