Driving Attitudes

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 24, 2014
Visit site
and go for the horse drawn carriage.

Which not only just emits methane, the said emitting can also cause noise polution. Not to mention the frequent creation of temporary roundabouts. Horses should be used only for burgers and glue. :woohoo:

And lets not forget our travelling "cousins" who have been known to race these things up and down the public highway.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
and go for the horse drawn carriage.

Which not only just emits methane, the said emitting can also cause noise polution. Not to mention the frequent creation of temporary roundabouts. Horses should be used only for burgers and glue. :woohoo:

And lets not forget our travelling "cousins" who have been known to race these things up and down the public highway.

There is a group of horse owners who are not from any "community" here in the Black Country who regularly take lightweight carts pulled by horses onto the local road network, especially at weekends.
Some of the horse drawn outfits are driven by children.
There's a widespread belief perpetuated by local news media that these trotting horses are somehow a part of our Black Country heritage, but as far as I'm concerned these weekend mobile road hazards are an outdated nuisance which cause chaos and frustration on an already overcrowded road network

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Niall_McIntosh said:
Sorry to be a pedant, but they aren't exempt from "Road Tax", they are exempt from Vehicle Excise Duty (VED). There is, currently, no such tihing as "Road Tax" and, in any case VED goes into general taxation, so isn't hypothocated to road maintenance.

Either way it is still a tax for using the road!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I certainly object to paying any form off road tax as I only ever drive offroad on broken and rough terrain. It certainly feels that way. B)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
Aye but Parksy, you have to remember that the rules "don't apply to them".
The police sometimes have to round up horses that have left the places where they are kept out in the open in all weathers, gardens have been trashed and night time road accidents narrowly avoided when these strays become lose. Nothing seems to happen to the owners though, although in some parts of the area the kind owners have taken their horses into their houses at night!
There was a recent incident where one of these self entitled individuals took his horse into a Wetherspoons pub for a drink, I won't upload the footage because of the bad language when staff ordered the owner to remove the horse from the premises.
When I worked for the electricity board I had a job to do at a run down council tower block, and one morning I was confronted with one of these 'tatters' leading his cart horse out of the lift from his 12th floor flat. :woohoo:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I do think that generally people on the roads(all modes of transport)are getting a lot more arrogant. The biggest driving problem I see when towing is people can't join a motorway :evil: when you're going along in the inside lane doing say 60mph and someone is trying to join they just don't get up to speed,they sit there looking at you and then they have to slow down and join behind,if they'd just put their foot down and crack on, much better for all.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Brasso530 said:
I do think that generally people on the roads(all modes of transport)are getting a lot more arrogant. The biggest driving problem I see when towing is people can't join a motorway :evil: when you're going along in the inside lane doing say 60mph and someone is trying to join they just don't get up to speed,they sit there looking at you and then they have to slow down and join behind,if they'd just put their foot down and crack on, much better for all.

I have the same pet hate! Just speed up!

I was towing at 60mph on a dual carriageway in Oxford with people tying to join; traffic was passing to my right so I could not move over, but the road in front is clear for the purpose of joining. The dozy driver trying to merge was sitting with the rear 3/4 of their car along side the front corner of my car with their indicator on... making no effort to speed up. If they moved over (and I was questioning their intentions) they would hit me... so I slow down to try and resolve the stand-off. SO DO THEY! What goes on in peoples heads? Obviously not Rule 259.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
In all four pages, no-one has mentioned that drivers are becoming more and more arrogant and careless because there are no Traffic Police to stop them! As for bikes.................!..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
emmerson said:
In all four pages, no-one has mentioned that drivers are becoming more and more arrogant and careless because there are no Traffic Police to stop them! As for bikes.................!..

Whilst the reduction in traffic officers is disappointing, I think it is more to do with changes in societal attitudes across a range of situations. There’s a general reduction in courtesy, respect for others and manners.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
emmerson said:

Whilst the reduction in traffic officers is disappointing, I think it is more to do with changes in societal attitudes across a range of situations. There’s a general reduction in courtesy, respect for others and manners.

I have a strong suspicion that we are seeing the effect games consuls are having on youngsters who see violence poor/dangerous/inconsiderate driving in games along with other deteriorating moral standards depicted in games and video's These youngsters are now old enough to drive and emulate the behaviors they have seen. They lack proper social interaction so they can't comprehend how insular their behavior is.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have no doubt that your argument carries some weight Prof,but I see all ages on all modes of transport thinking they own the road.As a keen cyclist (used to ride about 7,000 miles a year training)I'm ashamed to call myself a cyclist,BUT ,as with all things not everyone is a bad person,we all on here think we have no faults and it's everyone else who is wrong?I think everyone just needs to be a little more considerate and not be in such a rush.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Brasso ; like you quit a few thousand miles a year cycling commuting to work and back and out with the kids , & more running now though which is just as bad when trying to cross junctions but drivers attitude aint going to change I don't think they are just going to get worse , my wife tells me I drive like Miss Daisy sometimes but I drive as if I'm driving at work on the bus to a safe manner advanced looking ahead and judging what people are going to do , until a Scrambler that comes out of nowhere and cuts you up ! :(

Be careful on those roads people

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts