Driving from Stranraer to Lake District (Grange over Sands)

Jan 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

Tuesday the 30th june will be my first time towing on the Mainland UK. I am from Northern Ireland and i dont believe we have roads quite as busy as the mainland.

So im looking for tips how, when, why for the trip down. I am towing a 5 berth Lunar Jupitor and towing using a Mazda Premacy 2 ltr DI.

Any one know how long this might take? All beit not goin @ breakneck speeds lol im a careful driver.

Many thx

John p

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi John.

I think it should take you in the region of 4 hours from the ferry to grange . Thats without a break !! So 4 hours plus anyway and the A75 can be very busy .

Enjoy your hols anyhow.

Dougie.....

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi John.

If its just a stop for a break, then you have the main towns along the A75. ie Dumfries, Castle Douglas, Annan , Gretna, Only problem would be parking with the caravan!!. After Gretna You are onto the M6,the visitor centre at gretna is worth a visit plenty room for parking, and there is the gretna outlet village for any shopping . The main town along the route is Dumfries but you may find a problem getting parked. Around an hour after you come of the ferry you will get sign for Gatehouse of Fleet this is a nice fairly quiet village.

Hope this has been of some help to you .

Dougie.....

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Actually - total journey time is more in the region of five hours with a couple of short breaks. The road from Stranraer is always pretty busy, and in many places single carriageway.

Best stop is around Gretna and from there to Grange is about two hours. Come off at Junction 36 M6 and take the A590 signposted barrow in Furness. From the M6 its about half an hour and is more or less dual carriagway all the way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts