Driving Hands Free!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Would the police/fire service/ ambulance be able to use theirs under these 'new' laws?

They are only recommendations from a Select Committee and given the state of Parliament etc any chance of sensible new laws coming in rapidly is zilch.

In answer to your question, why wouldn’t they? These are trained emergency response units. Having accompanied a police driver when I was on a training course I was amazed at his focus and keeping a running commentary going whilst driving at very high speed through Wiltshire. But Police and other emergency response units are still beholden to the law so in the event they should have an accident the circumstances would doubtless be investigated. But seriously they need some lee way otherwise your A&E ambulance will be restricted to mandated speed limits. Do you really want that when your 30 minutes into your heart attack.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Would the police/fire service/ ambulance be able to use theirs under these 'new' laws?

Good question Pete, I am sure that the emergency services vehicles are not always staffed by more than one person.

I also see a lot of road maintenance vehicles (cars and vans) on the motorways, said vehicles invariably having only one occupant who I guess is an organisersupervisor for road hazard issues etc.

I wonder how they communicate with their base and colleagues.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
CDFED6-D0-AB98-4246-B582-EE44-BE73145-C.jpg

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Beehpee said:
There’s always going to be individuals and companies that treat everything in life with a risk assessment, I know from experience that I feel perfectly happy making hands free calls several times on a daily basis, each to there own, I’ve lived long enough to make my own decisions and not to rely on politicians to govern each and every detail of my life, I’ve managed so far I think I’ll continue doing the same now while it’s still legal and I’ll continue when the do gooders no doubt get their way and it becomes illegal, god help the youngsters who will have every waking moment of their lives planned and dictated by politicians

I am sorry but having investigated accidents for my job I can only say you are totally unaware of the facts or choose to ignore them. You are more likely to have an accident driving hands free than drunk and four times more likely to have an accident then when not using the device. Please wake up to the realities of life and stop risking other peoples lives, this is not the nanny state this is a very real and serious disregard for others safety.
If you lose concentration when talking on the phone and kill someone imagine how you would feel. A good number of people have now had to deal with this and it can ruin their own lives.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Try concentrating with a bus full off shouting kids , screaming babies !! And negotiating idiots on the road !!

You cannot rule out some distractions but deliberately adding more is worse. The phone call though is actually more of a risk though.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
SteveW77 said:
The Police have failed miserably to enforce the current laws on mobile phone use and speeding,(Try going round the M25 at 70mph and see how many vehicles pass you) .So what is the point in passing another law for people to ignore.

This is a problem, but after the accident the Police can check if you were using the phone so you may still be caught. I suspect the publicity is going to make the police look at this more though although it is difficult to spot people using hands free.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
It's not the failure of the police that's the problem, it's the selfish people who commit the offence, who don't see it as their own duty to comply with the laws and regulations. It's like blaming someone else for your own failings!

We live in a society that has a parliament whom we elect and by virtue of that election are empowered to create legislation on our behalf.

If there is a law we think is wrong we should continue to aside by it whilst lobbying our MP's to get it ammended.

It is a shame people blame the police. Whilst not wishing to do politics it is the politicians over the last ten years who have decimated our Police by some 20,000 officers. I find it strange new laws are considered without the task force to police it. As much as you Guys on here are sensible sadly the idiots out there will continue breaking the Law.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
I do find it strange that whenever we get a thread such as this one, it's frequently suggested that it's the failure of the police that's often held up as a reason not to have such a law introduced.

It's not the failure of the police that's the problem, it's the selfish people who commit the offence, who don't see it as their own duty to comply with the laws and regulations. It's like blaming someone else for your own failings!

We live in a society that has a parliament whom we elect and by virtue of that election are empowered to create legislation on our behalf. We don't then have a right to opt out of bits we don't like. We have a duty as citizens to abide by the law.

If there is a law we think is wrong we should continue to aside by it whilst lobbying our MP's to get it ammended.
I think you are living in a different world, unfortunately it would appear that a very large number of the general population do select what laws apply to them, how many people ignore parking restrictions, the speed limits the use of extension mirrors when towing , the list is endless.
It must be disheartening as a police officer to spend your day trying to enforce laws only to find the the local judiciary fail to impose a reasonable sentence rather than a conditional discharge or a community order

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I can only agree with Raywoods posts wholeheartedly, seen to many accidents myself through misuse of mobiles and laptops when driving,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
SteveW77 said:
I think you are living in a different world, unfortunately it would appear that a very large number of the general population do select what laws apply to them, how many people ignore parking restrictions, the speed limits the use of extension mirrors when towing , the list is endless.
It must be disheartening as a police officer to spend your day trying to enforce laws only to find the the local judiciary fail to impose a reasonable sentence rather than a conditional discharge or a community order

No Steve, I live in the same world as you, and I see far to many people in cars vans and lorries who are so self centred they flout the laws. Its not the lack of police, The police would not be needed if these selfish people didn't choose to break the law. Look how many will slow down for a speed camera and then speed up when they pass it --- Yes. they deliberately choose to break the law, similarly with holding mobile phones, not wearing seat belts, parking on pavements, on double yellow's in school and crossing zones, drink or drug driving etc etc etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts