Driving Licences

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I may be retired but not too old to drive a 4x4 and tow a caravan. However as it has not had any personal affect on me to date I am now wandering what were the changes to the driving licences issued to new drivers in the late 1990s regarding towing of caravans? The reason I ask is that my son, who is 27 years old, passed his driving test in 1998 and is insured on my 4x4 and has asked to borrow the van for a holiday. Clarification of this matter would therefore be very much appreciated.

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Colin,

The DVLA states the following, for category B, (for people who passed their driving test after January '97):

"Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg having not more than eight passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle"

So, in other words, he can tow a trailer up to 750kg as long as that's not more than the unladen mass of the towing vehicle and as long as the combined weight of trailer and towing vehicle is not more than 3500kg.

Or, to put it another way - no, he can't tow your caravan!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rupert has it wrong, or wrongly interpreted.

As has ben posted by Legsmaniac is correct.

As long as the combined weight of the car and caravan do not exceed a total train weight of 3500kg and the van weighs less than the car, he CAN tow it.

The 750gk trailer limit is for ubraked trailers and is common throughout the whole range of towing vehicles.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts