Driving Tests for over 70s

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about that now Dodger. The driving test was introduced,I think, in 1936, meaning that new drivers would have been born in 1919 or before.I don't think there are many 91 year-old drivers about now!
I grant you, though that there are still some un-licenced drivers on the road.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
emmerson said:
NigelHutson said:
Colin-Yorkshire,

You might be very surprised at the number of times that a driver of more mature years hits the accelerator pedal rather than the brake on vehicles with automatic transmission, and then isn't quick enough to move to the brake, resulting in a collision of some sort. Whether or not it's because the proportion of older drivers who drive automatics is greater than younger drivers, I don't know, but again, I can recall numerous instances of where this happened. Fortunately, the vast majority were minor 'bumps', but at the other end of the scale was serious injury following the car going through the front window of a house after sliding down a steep bank (and the driver admitted pressing harder on the accelerator rather than hitting the brake!).

Nigel.
Having driven mainly automatics for many years now, I have got into the habit of left foot braking, and always cover brake with my left foot when maneouvering in tight places, such as positioning the caravan.
I must admit though that I have never hit the throttle instead of the brake.
But then I'm only a boy of 74, and scored 50/50 on the assessment!
Part of my job as TM was to assess new drivers, and believe me, some of them were cr*p, regardless of age!
Yes, I would support re-assessment for all ages, every five years, but cannot imagine how it would be policed.

I think that the problem (or at least most that I was involved with) came about when the drivers accidentally put the selector into Reverse rather than Drive, so that the cars started to move backwards which startled them, and they then either pressed harder on the throttle thinking that it would move forwards, or the sudden backwards movement caused them to press it harder. Whatever the reason, that's what happened.

I totally agree that there are good, average and down right awful of all ages, hence me not bringing age into anything except the experiences of older drivers with the automatics (and of course, when you consider how many vehicles/drivers there are, the ones involved in incidents is pretty negligible).

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
emmerson said:
The driving test was introduced,I think, in 1936, meaning that new drivers would have been born in 1919 or before.I don't think there are many 91 year-old drivers about now!
The test was waived during WW2 so there could still be some a bit younger than 91.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Tests were also suspended through the Suez crisis 1956, But don't know whether full licenses were issued forever or whether people drove unaccompanied on provisional licenses and had to be tested later. But can remember (as a boy) some instances of people driving partners cars about the village in 'comical' fashion!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My father never sat a driving test either, he learned to drive while serving in Burma during the second world war. Apparently his tuition consisted of following the painted white disc on the unlit truck in front of him, but instead of a 'fail' from a driving examiner the penalty for losing sight of the truck convoy could be lethal. Dad drove lorries, jeeps and bren gun carriers during his service career as a regular soldier, he started off in Burma in charge of pack mules.
After reading some of the replies in this thread I contacted the local Institute of Advanced Motorists and I'll be having a free driving assessment next week with a view to progressing toward becoming an advanced motorist.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
My Father in Law never sat a test and he started off with Horses,Canon and Limber in the Royal Artillery in 1934 when he was 14 and ended up at Dunkirk and then became a D-Day dodger landing in Scilly, although he drove during the war he took his driving test in the 60's,

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Parksy said:
After reading some of the replies in this thread I contacted the local Institute of Advanced Motorists and I'll be having a free driving assessment next week with a view to progressing toward becoming an advanced motorist.

Well done Parksy. Of course the assessments are open to all drivers, not just those of us who may have given up full time work. ;)

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
You're right Colin, still got two, both capable of giving horrible amounts of gravel rash if you don't get it right! (And I'm one of those 'sad' people that break the law occasionally 60+, -- that's mph, not age, passed that a long time ago!)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Parksy said:

Well done Parksy. Of course the assessments are open to all drivers, not just those of us who may have given up full time work. ;)

Good on you Parksy.
The volunteer observers will give you a good hours run in your own car. I think you may be surprised at what you "see" even with your HGV qualification.
Looks like I and WC may be busy at the next Woosiefest. B)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps this should apply to the over 50's now :(
Devon dry stone walls dont move when you reverse in to them, as happened last weekend :(
So new rear light and respray to near side rear panels and £528.00 lighter in my pocket :angry:
Oh well look on the bright side no one was hurt....................except my pride!!

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Perhaps this should apply to the over 50's now :(
Devon dry stone walls dont move when you reverse in to them, as happened last weekend :(
So new rear light and respray to near side rear panels and £528.00 lighter in my pocket :angry:
Oh well look on the bright side no one was hurt....................except my pride!!

Snap. :( Our car had a repaint on the back corner during the week. The OH didn't believe the reversing sensor when it said there was something behind her. :whistle:

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Devon dry stone walls dont move when you reverse in to them
Many Devon stone walls are also disguised as hedges, with a thin-ish layer of greenery in the summer at least. Squeezing into a "hedge" in a narrow lane (because there were cars behind me and the driver of the one car coming the other way was apparently incapable of reversing 15 yards to an opening behind him), left gouges in my front plastic "bumpers" (if you can call them that) from the stone wall lurking within it. No caravan attached at the time.

Fortunately I am acceptably good at re-finishing and, with the use of a few pence-worth of materials, the damage is now invisible.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm 165 years old and never taken a road test with a car, only a horse and cart.I manage to keep the accidents down to 19 a year (so far no fatalities).OOPS nearly mounted the pavement whilst replying to this topic !

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
thomas_374576025 said:
hi dr zhivago not me mate if they wont me to take a test they will have to pay happy new year cheers .tom

Well ‘they’ didn’t pay for your first test, so why should others pay for any subsequent test?

TRENDING THREADS