Driving through the Night

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
To All,

I am going to Spain (July/August) next year and will be going Dover/Calais by the Chunnel route. If I get the last Train (23:30) what is it like driving through the night, as this way we will hit Paris in the early hours and plan to have a long stop over half way down, before moving on the next morning for the final leg.

Does driving through the night make the journey seem more tiring, or do people find it easier as there is less traffic,

thanks in advance, Martin

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello martin

when we travel to paris i drive through the night to dover from west yorks, and wouldnt do it any other way, when we land in france its still around 7am ish, and roads arent too bad we use the toll to paris, (not with the van on the back as yet though) if we were taking the van i would do the same. on the way back we set off early morning from paris, and although its not technically night its very early, alot less traffic on the road. when we do take the van next year i will be setting off at midnight as usual to get to the tunnel,then when in france hubby takes over, hes not good at driving through the night, so keep that in mind, it may not suit you. regards edwina

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hello Martin.

Your questions raise two points the first and most important of which has nothing to do with France and everything to do with your past experiences of driving fairly long distances through the night.

Some people find it fairly easy to stay awake and concentrate whilst others are OK for a couple of hours and yet others would not contemplate the thought under any circumstances. The only bit related to France might be that driving on the right adds considerably to the concentration required at least for the first few hours and therefore to the onset of tiredness.

With respect to driving through Paris - why do it? Your 23.30 train will take you through the tunnel in 35 minutes which will put on the road south at about 01.30 local time which will put in Paris ( 180 miles further on ) just when the early morning delivery trucks are flying around like maniacs. So what's the alternative..?

Well, your trip to Spain will take you through Perpignan which Google Maps show as being 708 miles from the tunnel via Paris.

What you therefore might consider is to give Paris a miss ( consider Rouen - Evreux - Dreux - Chartres ) which Google Maps show as 702 miles. It really is a no-brainer.

With regard to your over-night stop, consider Camp Municiple,

Rue All

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Same as Olivier, I would not go anywhere near Paris. The Rouen route is far better and you would not see the sort of traffic that is asociated with major capital cities at all hours day or night.

The major concern is where you will have travelled from and how much sleep you will have had before you leave on the train. I often drive in the early hours but only after some good sleep.

If you are travelling with children they are likely to be asleep whilst you are driving and will be awake when you need to sleep after a long drive. Not a good combination.

We've always found driving in the early hours an easy way to travel and even leave for Cornwall after midnight. But always after a good sleep.

If you are not fully rested before your drive from Calais and can't be assured uninterrupted rest and sleep after that drive you are a potential danger to yourself and others.

After a long nights drive in the summer you may also find yourself trying to sleep on a busy camp site with adults and children moving around and in temeperatures you are not familiar with.

Traffic in France is far less than in the UK and the traffic flows far easier so day time driving is very easy.

Sorry but the fact that you are asking the questions suggests to me that you should not be enbarking on foreign roads in the middle of the night with out more thought to the route and where and when you stop and how you prepare sleep wise.

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Thank for the replies, I will look at Ollies suggestion of Calais - Rouen - Chartres.

Last year we went to Hourtin-Plage on the Medoc, we left Bristol at 5.00am and caught the mid-day ferry to Calais, then drove through Rouen for an overnight stop near Alencon. I did not find this journey that bad and the overnight stop made the final drive less of a struggle.

I want to get about 400 miles under my belt before I stop for a full day and finish the last leg with a shorter drive,

thanks again, Martin

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
When driving down to the Loire this summer I was a bit idle on the map reading and just followed the satnav. We ended up going the Paris route and hit the peripherique at about mid day on Sunday. A lot of traffic but not too bad (prefered it to the M25 the previous day).

Comming back however we went via Rouen and found it much better. From memory about 30 miles further but it was 30 miles motorway cruising.

Hope that helps, Martin.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'd agree with the suggestion of the Rouen route - after Chartes head for Clermont Ferrand, and from there the A75 motorway is free all the way down to the mediterranean near Montpellier. This way you avoid Paris, and save quite a bit on tolls.

Equally, like Sadie says, you really need to plan where are how you're going to sleep. If there are two drivers and you can share the driving then it's not so bad. If you're the only drive, then going all the way to Spain without some proper overnight sleeps on the way is risky to say the least. If you go the Clermont Ferrand route there are some lovely campsites just off the route, which would be great for an overnight stop (or even two nights). Spain is a long way, July/August are likely to be very hot, and better to get there safely a day or two later.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Happy-Lappy. Sorry, I'd guessed it was your first trip. As you already have experience at least you know what to expect.

But if you are driving from Bristol you have quite a drive before you land in France. I have an hour and a half drive to Dover and then stop the other side. Before heading off, just make sure you really do have enough rest, leaving Calais late at night in summer I've driven via Rouen and further south than LeMans and seen less traffic than in the evening before, joining the M25 at the M3 and leaving it for the ferry.

Bon Route and make sure you get the sleep you need.

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Shady Sadie and Val.A for your further input.

Val.A

I have just done a route map for Clermont Ferrand from Calais and it's around 440miles. If we get the last train we should leave Calais about 01:00am local time. As we do not have to be at the first campsite until between 10:00 and 12:00am, this will allow for a steady drive, with added rest at some Motorway Service stations. During the stop over the children in the party (10-16yrs) will be able go swimming, whilst the main drivers get some sleep. We do not aim to leave the stop over site until 09:00/10:00am the next day, so this should enable the drivers to have a proper sleep through the night, before we set out on the second leg of the journey.

Wifey will drive to Dover and I'll take over at the Terminal,

thanks again, Martin

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I was persuaded by family and friends to do Plymouth Santander, twice in summer and with bad weather.

We paid siily monry top price for travelling with the smell of eau de sick and twenty four plus hours of hell. Arriving at Santander we had to drive and find a site feeling like hell on earth.

On the second trip our friends had a rough return crossing three weeks later as we were heading for Dijon. I was never asked again as I could not get over the crossing in the time in Spain.

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Olly,

We went to Playa Joyel at Noja, Northern Spain last year (2007) and my Wife and eldest daughter had to spend both crossings in the cabin, as they both suffered from sea sickness, this is why we have decided to take the Chunnel next year. There are six families going next year and this journey has been excepted by all the relevant people in the party,

best regards, Martin

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Happy-Lappy, Im with you, we have driven from Devon to dover and then back to the west coast, used it as part of the holiday stoppping on route for a day or two, when fuel was cheaper in France it worked out cheaper than going plymouth Roscoff. This year we did use Plymouth and paid

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
For the past two yeasr we have travelled down to Northern Spain via Calais, we took a late night Friday ferry which meant we went through Paris early Saturday morning which fortunately gave us little traffic. The first night was at Limoges (a Castle site) then the following day down into Spain.

As we also travel mid August most of France is already on holiday so its relatively quiet on the roads. But as others have said, better to take an extra day getting to your destination and enjoy the trip.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Being now a (very) senior citizen who used to drive regularly London to Scotland overnight by choice, and also throughout europe, much depends on your experience and - dare I say it - age.

With increasing year the peripheral vision tends to weaken even though you are well inside the acceptable limits for driving, so suggest an eye check on a regular basis. I would also suggest taking the most stree-free route available - usually on autoroutes even if they are tolls, although the boredome factor has to be considered too.

Also, is there really any advantage in one more day on the beach if you are too tired to enjoy it ?

With two drivers, a different situation. i would suggest about 2 hour spells with 10 minute break at change over - you should soon recover the time spent for the break. You do, however need such mutual trust that you can doze easily when not driving - a potential cause of domestic disharmony to put it mildly.

I too would avoid Paris if at all possible, and if coming from Bristol I would consider and cost the West Channel routes e.g. Poole Cherbourg or Portsmouth Caen very carefully. This from a resident of east Somerset. If, of course, you have passengers who are not good sailors then the Tunnel is very good, but I would still go down the coast and via Rouen.

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Dear All,

I would first and foremost like to thank all of you, who gave me some sound advice about travelling through France at night.

I have since decided that after reading your various replies, to drive to Dover on the Thursday night for the first stop over, then I have booked the 6.20am train for Calais (earliest one available that morning)and then plan to drive 540 miles to the next stop over. I will then drive the final leg on the Saturday.

Not sure if I will go via Paris or Rouen yet, I will take advice from my Brother who lives near Paris, as I would not get there until around mid-day, the traffic may not be too bad at that time,

thanks again and best regards, Martin

G

I live in the south of France Martin and we've travelled from the south to Calais and Dunkerke to many times to remember. And we know Paris very well.

Rouen = Bon Route

Paris = No Brainer!

From Calais south you have the arty statues on the bridges over the Autoroute to entertain you, low traffic levels some great stops such as Baie de la Somme and it's a great road to travel from a surface quality to the rolling country side.

Paris just has traffic and to many thing that could ruin or delay you trip.

540 miles is easy in France done sensibly, spaced out with some good rest breaks.

If you are unfortunate and get held up somewhere around Paris or get frustrated due to drivers in the busy Paris area you have not made a sensible choice when you still have hundreds of miles of driving in front of you with a big box in tow. Calais Rouen has basicly one turn on the route and on busy days traffic if you can call it that is well well spaced out rather than the hubub of traffic around the major French hub that is Paris.

Anyone who really wants or needs to go via Paris should consider it when they have plenty of time and plan a stop over not to far from the city. With 540 miles. NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Madness

G

ps Martin.

I just realised that you would be heading well on to Paris on a Friday morning!!!!!!!!!! and a meeting with the "Le Weeekend" traffic as the early Friday lunchtime finishers escape south and hit routes towards the coast.

Via Paris! You are having a laugh mate!

Or you're a glutton for punishment:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts