Driving to Cornwall

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I am new to this forum and as we are due to go to Cornwall at the end of June for our two week holiday, was wondering how others cope with the long drive. We live in the Bedford area and will be setting off on the Friday afternoon when hubby gets home from work at approx. 2pm. Our first week we are spending in Fowey and think we should have an overnight stop somewhere on the Friday night. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences please? Can you stop overnight at service stations? Is that allowed, or would we be better off booking into a site about halfway? Any advice would be very much appreciated.
:cheer: :)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Motorway service stations can be very noisy, especially where the caravans share the space with artics. Artic fridges running alnight are a real annoyance.

We usually stay over on the Caravan Club site at Exeter which is great. We normally have a couple of days there. Large late arrival area too in case your late.

The other thing to consider is that most if not all motorway service stations charge you for overnight, almost the coast of staying over on a CC site and with proper clean toilets and showers, the CC wins hands doen for us. Close to the CC site is a decent roadside diner that opens late. Route 5 American Diner on top of Haldon Hill A35 is highly recommended. The Haldon Diner adjacent to the racecourse is not very good at all.

As it happens, we go on the 26th, for four days now at Exeter, then on to St Mawes for 3 weeks or so.

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks so much for your advice. I think we will avoid the service stations! We are not members of the CC but are members of the other one so will have a look and see what's about halfway. Happy holidays!!!! B) :)

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
You don't even want to stop for a cuppa in Exeter Motorway services unless your bank balance is greater than your telephone No. Made that mistake 3 yrs ago, all I wanted was a coffee, coke and some chips to go with our picnic and upon being told the price I thought I was miss-heard and said no and retold my order only to be told the same price. Changed my mind and just got the coke. And not to mention it can be a long wait trying to get back out in daytime due to the way the services are situated off the junction.

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
As an alternative why don`t you find a cs/cl on your journey and stop there,all you want to do is put the legs down for the night and it will probably cost you between £8 to £12 a night,we live in Beds and sometimes travel to Devon normally stopping overnight in Somerset on a cl,your on holiday why rush,good luck.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Agree about Exeter services, its probably the worst of them all. Mind you, they all charge ridiculous prices. Still worth checking with Exeter CC, some sites do take non-members.

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I know you said you are not members but the C.C site at Wellington is handy just off the M5, no loos or showers but its a nice little site.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts