Driving whilst using mobile phone

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From the IAM . Hopefully an eye opener for some 😉
It depends if they can view this form on their phones o_O and they shoildnt be sleeping whilst driving either....

But seriously, I see far too many drivers still using mobiles whilst driving, it's frankly quite disturbing.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I worked for a major engineering company 2000-2003 their rules were no use of mobiles when driving even though the car had a hands free set up. I can honestly say that I have never used a mobile whilst driving. Even now with both cars fully equipped I make no outgoing calls and the phone is set to tell incomers that I am driving and will calll them back. But if the call is repeated shortly afterwards and it’s from family I do answer it, as they know my rules.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The article is a bit misleading as it gives the impression that a large number with points are a result to using a phone.

What it actually states is that they already have points on their licence for unknown reasons i.e. speeding, but if caught using a mobile that adds another 3 points and you lose your licence. However by the same token if you already have 9 points and are caught speeding again you will lose your licence.

I agree as per previous posts there are still far too many driving and using a hand held mobile phone. By the same token I think that driving standards has got a lot worse since the lockdowns. I have been overtaken in 30mph zone when I am already doing 30mph.

On Sunday coming back from town, at a round about the car in the left lane took off like a scalded cat and then proceed to go right on the round about cutting straight in front of us. I was driving the Jeep at the time and if we had hit them, the Jeep would have done a lot of damage as the other car was a lot smaller. Just to add at that same round later that day was a terrible head on smash!

Update. Read the local news this morning and one of those injured was the daughter of the gent who is the security guard at A&E and she was brought in while he was on duty. Having visited A&E numerous times over the past 2 years we recognised him straight away. Nice helpful gent!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In my book it's as bad as drink driving!

Hands free is no better as it can take your concentration off your surroundings!
However you still have both hands on the wheel and no need to look at the phone as you can do everything using buttons on steering wheel. However if I do have the opportunity I will pull over and stop the engine. You can still be fined even if you have pulled over and left the engine running. Luckily I seldom get calls and normally OH is with me and can take the call.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i do not use a mobile phone while i am driving ,but the amount of drivers that i see still do in my book they should get fined .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Quite simply it is impossible to drive when talking on a phone, even hands free, without compromising safety. The conversation takes some of your concentration and means less for the road. It will vary according to what is being said but arguments and business calls tend to be the worst because they require more attention and arguments can induce anger.. Texting or dialling cannot be done safely as it requires the eyes to be off the road far too long.
The worst example I came across was a lorry driver due to make a timed delivery to a supermarket distribution hub. He was delayed and was going to miss his slot, so tried to ring to change this, in doing so he took his eyes off the road and failed to see traffic ahead of him had stopped. He ploughed into the car ahead and killed the driver.
Talking on a mobile is simply too dangerous and people need to appreciate this.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Quite simply it is impossible to drive when talking on a phone, even hands free, without compromising safety.
Yes and No.

I occassionally get a call come through on the car hands free. If its a family member or friend then we find it no different from having a chat with a passenger. If its something more complicated then we'll pullover or call back.

With the advent of many car controls using touch screens are the distractions going to get worse.

Reactions: Beardy and Hutch
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
With the advent of many car controls using touch screens are the distractions going to get worse.
Very true. In the good old days you could reach down and feel for the heater control when you were a bit hot or cold. Now you have to navigate through 6 levels on a touch screen.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Quite simply it is impossible to drive when talking on a phone, even hands free, without compromising safety. The conversation takes some of your concentration and means less for the road. It will vary according to what is being said but arguments and business calls tend to be the worst because they require more attention and arguments can induce anger.. Texting or dialling cannot be done safely as it requires the eyes to be off the road far too long.
The worst example I came across was a lorry driver due to make a timed delivery to a supermarket distribution hub. He was delayed and was going to miss his slot, so tried to ring to change this, in doing so he took his eyes off the road and failed to see traffic ahead of him had stopped. He ploughed into the car ahead and killed the driver.
Talking on a mobile is simply too dangerous and people need to appreciate this.
You'd need to explain why talking on a hands-free phone takes more concentration than talking to a passenger in the car - I don't do either most of the time but I know I'm in a minority when it comes to talking to passengers.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
You'd need to explain why talking on a hands-free phone takes more concentration than talking to a passenger in the car - I don't do either most of the time but I know I'm in a minority when it comes to talking to passengers.
When talking to a passenger in the car you can both see what is going on around you and can see when a situation is developing and shut up while it's being dealt with.
A person on the other end of a phone call cannot possibly see this and could well continue distracting the driver who then fails to deal with it correctly.
Safest place for a mobile when driving is with the passenger or in the glovebox!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When talking to a passenger in the car you can both see what is going on around you and can see when a situation is developing and shut up while it's being dealt with.
A person on the other end of a phone call cannot possibly see this and could well continue distracting the driver who then fails to deal with it correctly.
Safest place for a mobile when driving is with the passenger or in the glovebox!
As said no different to having a passenger in the car and probably safer than talking to the passenger.

If my phone rings while driving I simply press a button on the steering wheel which is easy to reach as my hands when driving are at the 10 to 2 position. I can then converse without having to look anywhere else and keep my eyes and concentration on the road. Invariably if it is a business calling I ask them to put it in an email for me to read at a later time.

How many of us can honestly say that their passenger has never said something like "did you see that" or distracted you just for a few seconds? :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes and No.

I occassionally get a call come through on the car hands free. If its a family member or friend then we find it no different from having a chat with a passenger. If its something more complicated then we'll pullover or call back.

I think you are more correct than you think Sam.

I had a ride in my mates Tesla X last week.

The lack of a conventional dashboard was striking. Instead , bang in the centre is a massive laptop. The speedo was a tiny readout in the top right corner. Everything else , heaters etc required reading and touching this massive screen. Hardly hands free!
For the average driver I suspect these massive screens may well compromise safety far more than most of us can imagine. Eye balls left inside car and hand touching screen. Not good imo

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
See Gafferbills link to the research which indicates that it is.
I am no expert but I think that the difference between talking on a hands free and talking to a passenger is that you process the conversation differently in your brain. Talking to someone who isn’t physically there involves you making them present in your mind whilst you are speaking which takes more processing power than when they are sitting next to you. This reduces your processing capacity for driving. If you watch people using a Mobile phone in a shop or some other public place you will see them become less responsive to the world around them; sort of glazed over, stand still or not notice those around them. Stopping in the middle of a pavement a particularly annoying behaviour. This is not because of the physical action of holding a phone; it is processing the conversation with a non present person, sort of makes you a bit non present too.
There will be a paper on it somewhere I guess.
mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In my book it's as bad as drink driving!

Hands free is no better as it can take your concentration off your surroundings!
It’s been well documented that even with a hands free system talking on a mobile negatively affects a driver’s overall concentration, and responses. It has a totally different effect to talking to a passenger in the car. Clearly there are drivers who can communicate effectively whilst driving (police traffic officers) but the majority are affected.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes and No.

Some companies that introduced virtually all touch screen controls ( VW, Citroen/Peugot) have now backtracked on their later models.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think you are more correct than you think Sam.

I had a ride in my mates Tesla X last week.

The lack of a conventional dashboard was striking. Instead , bang in the centre is a massive laptop. The speedo was a tiny readout in the top right corner. Everything else , heaters etc required reading and touching this massive screen. Hardly hands free!
For the average driver I suspect these massive screens may well compromise safety far more than most of us can imagine. Eye balls left inside car and hand touching screen. Not good imo
My grandson doesn’t rate many aspects of his new Tesla especially the plethora of notification alerts many of which can’t be shut off. Also it’s surrounded by cameras which bleet away when in a car park or close proximity to other vehicles at slow speeds.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It’s been well documented that even with a hands free system talking on a mobile negatively affects a driver’s overall concentration, and responses. It has a totally different effect to talking to a passenger in the car. Clearly there are drivers who can communicate effectively whilst driving (police traffic officers) but the majority are affected.
Police Officers are trained to give a precise running commentary of where they are and will be , not where they have been. Even more difficult .
IAM Advanced driving as some of you know is based on Roadcraft. Part of the IAM test is giving the running commentary.

With the Police usually with two officers on board, similar to airline pilots, one does the driving the other the communications.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Police Officers are trained to give a precise running commentary of where they are and will be , not where they have been. Even more difficult .
IAM Advanced driving as some of you know is based on Roadcraft. Part of the IAM test is giving the running commentary.

With the Police usually with two officers on board, similar to airline pilots, one does the driving the other the communications.
Typhoon and F35 pilots fly solo, but have years of training on less advanced aircraft, plus simulators. But their communications are very clipped and often difficult to understand by a layman. But the vast majority of ordinary motorists don’t have the skills and training to match the performance of the various professionals discussed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts