Drying an Awning

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Hi. Not meant to be a stupid question.... struggling to think of a way to dry an air awning if I have to put away wet when leaving a site. I leave my Caravan in a storage site when not in use so can’t put it back up to dry it out.

Trying to think of a sensible option. Any tips on putting up in a garden as obviously I won’t have a rail to put it into?

Thanks!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We’ve never had a garage to dry one although that will change tomorrow. So we lay ours out in the lounge and dry it with cloths. Loosely bundle it up and then open it up before going to bed. Next night do the same but turn it over. Sometimes it’s done like that in one of the spare double bedrooms.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clifford_374377114 said:
I can't recommend how to dry it but don't lay it flat on the grass - it bring ants and other bugs onto the awning! I speak from experience!

And it will act like an Israeli army water collection system. IE bring up condensation.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I have been fortunate enough to be able to inflate my air-awning on the drive on a calm day, using bar-bell weights as anchor points, and letting it dry it off. I have also dried tents in my garage by suspending some paracord across the space and hanging the tent over that.

If you have a large enough outside space, you could put down a tarpaulin (Huge tarps can be purchased from ebay quite cheaply) and lay out the awning to dry.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I have heard of an awning rail being purchased and fixed to a housegardenshed etc wall, and the awning being erected pretty much as usual to facilitate cleaning, waterproofing and drying out etc.

It may be worth taking a look in an awning supplier store and see what they use to support the awning for display purposes.

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Got some good ideas from you all so feeling more comfortable I can keep the awning in good condition.

I was going to weight it down on the lawn and turnover but that would’ve given me a big problem. Washing line or someway to put up, or almost up, seems best.

Thanks.

Craig.

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I can't comment on Air awnings, as I've never owned one.
However I always dry both my full and porch awning over the bannister and stair rail. I do one panel at a time on the bannister and the roof section on the handrail.
Regards,

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If it is a nice day, I have draped a panel or two over the washing line and the rest over the garden table and chairs, with chairs stragically spread out to allow drape and air flow. Failing that it is over the bannister rails indoors. Fortunately in this regard, we have one of those town house style properties so there are a lot of stairs. :dry:
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We always ensure we wipe the awning down with either microfibre or viscous towel, it is surprising how much wet you can get off, then bundle into large plastic bag, the sort used to cover garden furniture, when we get home, either in the garage over 2x1 timbers or outdoors overthe washing line.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Crag,
A real pain but we have all had to do it.
The real need is to have a free circulation of air. It can be a dull day outside, no sun , but with a breeze, good news.
Drape the awning over chairs , washing lines whatever, off the ground. Every few hours turn it over and make sure there are no stuck contact areas which will retain moisture. Best fold up indoors on a dry floor.

If you can take the awning down a day or so before you decamp keeping an eye on the local weather reports all the better,.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
You can still inflate the awining without caravan or rail. We used to use the g/sheet to protect it, inflate it and support the rear with the rotary washing pole.

With our trad awning, we dry panels one by one on the rotary, the dont take more than a few mins each. Roof we lay on g/sheet with camping chairs underneath to lift it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts