Dunkirk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Are you allowed to stop overnight on the dock at Dunkirk? We'll be crossing on the 0200 boat and fancy a kip before heading into Belgium.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As I understand your enquiry, you want to have a rest as soon as possible after coming off the ferry at Dunkirk. I don't know whether you are allowed to stay in the port but it's only 30km from the port to the Belgian border and there are 2 aires on the A16 en route:

Teteghem just outside Dunkirk

Ghyvelde right on the border

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I can't remember if there's a specially reserved area - but there is a series of lay-byes just outside the dock - but I'd guess they will be filled with trucks.

An alternative is a 30 minute drive north-east on the A16/E40 - the Texaco service station at Mannekensveere - about 1/2 way between junction 3 and 4 on the E40 in Belgium. This is a new service station (well a few years old now) and has nice wide bays for filling up and a few caravan bays.

Failing that there is a Belgian "Aire" between junction 5 and 6, and a large motorway service station at Jabbeke (note you need to follow the slip road to access the service station).

If you use viamichelin.com - you should be able to see the service station and the aire, and their closeness to Dunkerque.

I nearly always stop at the Texaco station on my commute - it's got OK toilets (showers too), coffee machine and reasonably priced fuel

Robert

Aug 10, 2008
Visit site
There is a big car park next to the terminal, where you can buy a ticket if you do not already have a ferry booking.Have seen motor homes and caravans parked up in there. It might not be policy to allow you to park there for sleeping purposes, but I cannot imagine them trying to move you on,as we ourself parked there for 4 hours once in the car. Its not like any staff come around and check...

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
After coming out of the ferry you come to a small roundabout (hgv park on rhs)turn left and there is an open area which we have stayed on a couple of times on the rhs but beware of soft sand if you go to far off the road.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Emmerson

The HGV park mentioned by Robert is MASSIVE. It is on your right as you leave the port, but access is at the far end, after you have passed it. We have stayed there a couple of times - no problem, just pull up alongside the trucks - but try to avoid one with a refrigeration unit - very noisy!!

Keith

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts