E and L insurance

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hello

any one out there with e and L ??? more importantly have you ever had to go through a claim with them, am wondering about using them as they seem relly good prices but am aware you get what you pay for !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm with E&L at the moment. As you said they are cheap but they tend to get a lot of negative press. The main problems seem to be that you have to read the security requirements very carefully as they are much more detailed than other companies. Unless you store your caravan as an approved storage site you may struggle to meet the conditions. Note that if your van is worth more than 5k it is classed as high value so check high value requirements too.

Secondly I've heard the premiums jump up for the second year. As all premiums are published on the web and these are based on sum insured I don't understand how this can be the case, but I've not had my renewel through yet.

I plan to move to Caravan Club or Caravan Guard next year. With one years no claims the costs are similar and they seem to have a better reputation.

Caravan Guard actually called me up last night and price matched a quote I'd got from the caravan club. I've asked them to send me out the paperwork so I can check the policy over.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Thanks richard,I did enqurie and they said the basic security you have to have is a wheel clamp and hitchlock ! Will look into the conditions carefully after what you said before I commit,

Thanks for your help !!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dont like bad mouthing companies too much, particularly as I have never used E & L myself. But I remember a thread on another forum about 12 months ago about the same company and refusing to pay out when sombodys van that was broken into and various items had been stolen, such as cushions. It all boiled down to the security fencing wasn`t high enough and the policy holder hadn`t picked up on it. So do check all the details very carfully, but i personally wouldn`t go near the company.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Dont like bad mouthing companies too much, particularly as I have never used E & L myself. But I remember a thread on another forum about 12 months ago about the same company and refusing to pay out when sombodys van that was broken into and various items had been stolen, such as cushions. It all boiled down to the security fencing wasn`t high enough and the policy holder hadn`t picked up on it. So do check all the details very carfully, but i personally wouldn`t go near the company.
Thanks will bear it in mind !!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Thanks all !!!

It seems many (experienced)people are saying the same things which are generally not too favourable !! Dont think I'll bother with them it is obviously why they are so cheap,

Thanks again !!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Regarding E & L, I haven't got my caravan insured with them but (this may sound unrelated...read on) I had to have the vet out to my horse and he asked which insurance company I use. I told him (not E&L)and he said that he and most vets in the Midlands (through past experience with E&L advise clients of the anticipated costs of treatments (if they are insured with E&L, Entertainment and Leisure, Equine & Livestock, all the same company) because that insurance company hardly ever pay out on vets fees although their clients have insured their horses through them. Their quotes are normally a lot cheaper but they don't pay out.

I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Regarding E & L, I haven't got my caravan insured with them but (this may sound unrelated...read on) I had to have the vet out to my horse and he asked which insurance company I use. I told him (not E&L)and he said that he and most vets in the Midlands (through past experience with E&L advise clients of the anticipated costs of treatments (if they are insured with E&L, Entertainment and Leisure, Equine & Livestock, all the same company) because that insurance company hardly ever pay out on vets fees although their clients have insured their horses through them. Their quotes are normally a lot cheaper but they don't pay out.

I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
I think that says it all!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have you investigated M.C.I.A.? They advertise in Practical Caravan (page 247 April 2005) I had no problems with a payout. They also insure house and contents so why they call themselves Motor Caravan Insurance Agency I've no idea.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts