E&L INSURANCE AVOID!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A serious warning to everyone taking out Caravan Insurance.

AVOID E&L INSURANCE AT ALL COST.

I took out a policy in November and gave the agent all of the storage details and was advised that we were full insured! Since then I have read on a couple of sites that people have had problems with claims with this company. I thought that I would be fine but decided to make sure today. I sent 2 emails with no response to check before sending a final one today. The reply that I got was that I was not covered. I could not believe it. I had not changed my storage site since I joined!

I rung up to cancel my policy and spent 15 minutes arguing this with a snotty girl who seemed straight out of school. In the wording it states 'If you have not made a claim, you may cancel this policy at any time and be entitled to a return of the unexpired portion of your premium' I was then advised on the phone that there is a 70% charge for cancelling in 6 months! I was told that I could not speak to a manager but eventually they did put me through to be told that there was nothing I could do.

What more could I do. We use a locked storage compound, have hitchlock, alarm, wheelclamp etc. I have had no option but to cancel this with a loss over £100. it is not the money that annoys me, it is the company.

We are new to caravanning and are learning new things every day so we are putting this down to experience. If you have taken out insurance with these, please read the wording very carefully, if you have not done so, please be very careful.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
HI

Am very wooried about this,I pay monthly and my policy says that by paying this way I can cancel at any time

without penalty ! Will be ringing tommorow and going to the caravan club, I'm lucky ave only payed one month, (TIP..if you

do pay monthly canacel the direct debit I will asap !!)

thanks for all the info !!

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
We have also learnt the hard way with e&l insurance. we picked up our new coachman laser last september and found that our insurance company refused to cover us as it was a twin axle, we rang e&l insurance thinking they must be ok as practical caravan endorse them by distributing theire leaflets. unfortunately on our second trip out some moron ran in to the side of our van claiming he did not see it, this was september last year, we rang e&l and adviced them and they said they would send out the claim form. 8 days later we received a claim form for a horse, i rang and adviced that i did not own a horse but wanted a claim for my van to be told both claim forms are the same colour and it was an easy mistake. any way claim form filled in quotes obtained 1800.00 pounds for the new lower side panel and locker doors. as this was i third party claim i did not think we would have any problems, however they would not authorise the repairs without a loss adjuster inspecting the van, this took another two weeks to arrange, it then took 6 weeks to get the parts all this time the van was unusable. the van eventually went in and was returned in as new condition, but this is where it has gone really pear shaped, i had to pay 175.00 pounds excess which was to be paid back to me when the third party payed the claim. it is now the end of aprill i have contacted a&l every two weeks to find out where my money is, they told me last week that they still have not paid glossop caravans for the repairs and they can not put the claim through untill they do so. on explaining that it was now seven months since my claim they said they would deal with it some time this week. as i said that was two weeks ago and i still have not heard a thing. 175.00 is better in my bank than theirs and i want it back but it looks like it is going to be a case for the insurance ombudsman if my cheque is not delivered very soon. on another note they seem cheap for the monthly policy untill you read the small print and find it is actually a 28 day policy, in other words 13 payments per year as opposed to other companies quoting 12 payments. be warned.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Im currently insured with E&L so after reading about this here decided to check a few things out for myself which I wish I had done a long time ago. At this moment in time Im really sick to the teeth of this company although I must admit Im somewhat to blame also. I've just checked on my payments and after being quoted a reasonable

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I believe that we have all received the message loud and clear about this company but if you are not already aware E&L have served legal notice on another forum threatening to sue them if they did not remove all references to them. The forum has complied but it highlights the sort of company they are when their only defence is to sue rather than justify themselves.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
if E&L do get this thread removed then we should just keep putting new ones on to warn all other caravanners how bad this company is. maybee when it starts to cost a fortune to have threads removed constantly this company will decide to treat customers fairly, untill then i for one will be advising everyone i speak to on site not to use this company and that is a lot of people as we spent 85 nights away last year and plan more this year. also it is time practical caravan and which caravan stopped sending fliers for E&L as it is not in the interest of theire target customer. take note pc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts