Early Arrivals

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
What do you think of caravanners arriving too early to get on their pitch, when it clearly states on booking, arrival time when the pitch will be available?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Liz,

I dont know what you are asking really.

Surely not everyone can plan and execute a timetable for exact arrival at a site, there may be traffic delays etc, or the roads may be clear and good time is made.

Those who arrive early should be able to park theeir van up in an area until their pitch is vacant, or do you propose they drive around for a couple of hours , probably in a busy holiday area, with van still in tow?

As long as the person vacating the pitch is not inconvenienced, what does it matter?

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Liz

In some cases you have to travel over night due to the distance so I agree with Damian on this I don't see a problem with this.

The last site we arrived early at was your neck of the woods St. Ives I am so glad we did due to all the road works at Queensferry. We arrived atg 02.00 a.m. and parked in a field at Polmantor which there were about at least 15 or saw caravans already waiting. No fuss was made by he owners and very well organised with the cafe open offering take away breakfast. When pitch was avialble we asked to pull forward and to go to our pitch.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Liz,

Yes we have arrived early, very early at Treamble Valley one year, and the staff were great, simply asked that we put the van in the early/late arrival area, just opposite Reception, until our pitch had been vactaed and checked that it was ok to use.

We left the van and went into Newquay for the day, returning later in the afternoon to put tthe van on the now vacant pitch.

I do , however, know that not all sites are like this, and some can make it seem as if you have committed a major crime.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Liz,

In most instances when it states no arrivals before say 12 o'clock there is a very valid reason.You will usually find it will also state that people leaving must be off the site by say 11 o.clock. There are many valid reasons for this.Some sites do not have an area for caravans to park up (Rowntree Park CC). Some have narrow or single track approach roads (Chatsworth CC).Pitches may need maintenance before the next caravan goes onto the pitch (eg grass cutting), etc etc. There is no excuse for arriving early, people know the time and there are laybys to wait in. Some wardens like the ones at Chatsworth CC will quite rightly send you out again. It is well known that if it states all caravans leaving must vacate their pithes by 12 o'clock and no one is to arrive before 1 o'clock, poeple arrive early with some pathetic excuses hoping to have first choice of the vacant pitches!On most sites wardens require this rule to assist them in running the site efficiently.

Hamer

May 12, 2006
Visit site
I think if we ever go to road pricing, this will become a major issue for a lot of people and for site managers. If it costs half the price to travel overnight then an awful lot of people will be arriving early, and an awful lot of people will want to be leaving later. It would be manageable for large holiday sites, but smaller caravan club site will have difficulty.

Val & Frank

Mar 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi Liz

We were booked to stay on the C.C. site at Cheddar last summer.We arrived about 1/2 hour early due to light traffic (for once) and were greated by a quite irate lady warden who scolded us and made us feel like naughty schoolchildren, explaining that the instructions clearly state bla, bla, bla, and by the time she had fininshed it had taken the edge off a our short stay at what is a lovely site.

Regards

John

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Liz,

Yes we have arrived early, very early at Treamble Valley one year, and the staff were great, simply asked that we put the van in the early/late arrival area, just opposite Reception, until our pitch had been vactaed and checked that it was ok to use.

We left the van and went into Newquay for the day, returning later in the afternoon to put tthe van on the now vacant pitch.

I do , however, know that not all sites are like this, and some can make it seem as if you have committed a major crime.
Treamble Valley is the site we say we will definitely go back to...it was the our first site in our first proper touring holiday when we bought our first 'van nearly three years ago!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We stayed at a site in just north of Newquay called Trevarrion and when we asked the owner what time could we arrive as we would possibly be travelling overnight he told us to pull onto his overflow field (which doubled up as the local football pitch out of season) and he would find us when our pitch was free. This relaxed attitude really started one of the best holidays we had.

Marc

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Thank you Marc for bringing the topic back up, I personally feel if people are going to be really, really early I mean hours, a telephone call to the site, asking if their pitch would be available, if not is their anywhere they can park up until pitch is vacated.

Some Pitches become vacant early, in this case no problem.

But others like to make the most of their holiday and stay to the last minute.

I am glad you brought topic again for another reason, tourers and motorhomes are getting longer and longer, more and more big vans are coming onto site. Problem is do all sites have the facility for people to wait if they are really early.

Ok if it's a site that you have been on before and they have a waiting area, but there might be a problem if the site you have not been on before cannot accommodate you early.

So I can see no problem with early arrivals, if you know the site fine, if not just give the site a quick bell.

Liz

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
We do not do overnighters if we can help it, we pick our site and area and off we go. If by chance we get to a site early we have often parked the van and have gone and said that we have arrived early, a few times we have been askd to park in waiting areas and overflow waiting areas like Marc.

If any site owner or management ever dared to go off on one about early arrival I will bite their heads off! We are prepared to wait but there is no need for the lecture or rudeness we've heard of at some sites.

At least twice we have a arrived a day late at a site due to un forseen problems on route and the site has been called to tell them. On each occasion the first thing I did was offer to pay for the lost night. The French site refused to accept my offer and still deducted one nights stay from the 7 nights for 6 price, the Cornish site lady owner started on a lecture even though we had called them and offered to pay over the phone and on arrival for the lost night. She got a short sharp lesson and was very pleasant for the rest of our stay.

Early or late arrival is something to be relaxed about on both sides, if a pitch is free there should be no grief for the site and if it is not you shpould be prepared to park up somewhere until it is. If for some reason you will arrive late you should call ahead and if it means you miss your first night you should be prepared to pay without a lecture from the sites staff.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
A lot of caravan sites limit the size of units allowed. The CC can accommodate longer/larger units, but there are fewer pitches on which to put such units.

Also many people who attend a site have been there before and hope to be accommodated on a particular pitch. Early arrivals don't get this option as they are usually placed on any available vacant plot.

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Hi Cris I was wondering when you were going to comment on my topic.

It should state clearly on booking, arrival time when the pitch will be available.

So really if anybody does turn up extra,extra,early I mean hours, then who's fault that, but I must agree if this does happen no need for lecture or rudeness from both parties.

All I am pointing out that it states on booking what time the pitch will be available, just a quick phone call should be appreciated from the site, then they are in a position to let you know where to park, or pitch may be available.

If everybody decided to travel overnight to arrive early on site, without prior warning, all sites would have trouble on their hands, especially during BH and High Season.

As you say nobody wants unpleasantness, it puts a damper on the holiday.

Same with Late arrivals, just a quick phone call, sites should appreciate it; we do here just a phone call whether arriving early or late, no fuss, no rudeness. Problem is with a busy holiday site, tourers, motorhomes, are arriving, departing all the time, so without the phone call and just arriving without prior warning it could cause a problem.

Regards Liz

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ann good point raised. On booking here we do ask what van etc, so we are able to allocate suitable pitch for van, i.e. Fleetwood Heritage, Avondale Land Cruiser, Swift Conqueror etc. these are only a few of the larger vans we have stay here.

So all pitches are allocated, so if early arrivals arrive it does not mean they get a choice. So you can appreciate a phone call to site if you arrive extra, extra, early is appreciated. Liz

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Driving when working I do very high mileages at times in a day and towing the caravan in Europe we have often done 500 or 600 + miles in a day.

If the traffic flows or the weather changes sometimes expected arrival times have been vastly different from what we expected even with stops along the route.

We've taken a last minute window in my work schedule and called sites in Devon and Cornwall and Yorkshire and just jumped in the car and headed off with the van as it was alway kept ready to roll.

We've travelled at night and headed for our sites, our approach when arriving erlier than expected is to politely ask if we can pitch up.

I don't find "Sorry but NO" offensive if the site is busy or whatever we just then park up and wait wherever we can. Caravanners are out on the road with all the problems that road travel throws up, if arriving early or late the last thing you want as a paying guest is "attitude".

Surely its all part of a sites service, if you arrive at a full site a 10am when people do not have to be off until ten or the empty pitch needs mowing or the hedges trimmed fair enough, If the site has vacant pitches why should it be a problem?

Being flexible and accomodating and making the guest welcome, take their money and you'll get repeat buiness and word of mouth personal reccomendation to their friends and family or fellow forum members.

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Sites should try to help guests who just turn up without booking, but we have also got to take into account those who have booked. Hence if you have booked and plan to arrive early on site, please let site know, .Liz

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I can't believe anyone could be bothered cris but obviously they do. Too much of a gamble for me and to tow whatever distance just to be told the sites full and then have to look for some other site just beggars belief. The only scenario I can think of where it would happen to me is if I had left the site I was on due to a disagreement with the warden.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Being self employed, I and the guys that work for me take time away often when we've got a last minute chance. We often work over bank holidays so it's a last minute call if we can get away.

The one thing that P@@@'@ me off if some of the rude comments you get calling a site when you get a rude response saying like your F$$$$$$ stupid to be calling as "of course" we are full.

One site near Newquay has said call later and no doubt someone will not have turned up and sure enough we've headed off in the evening and parked in the early hours in a holding field and have soon be parked in the morning and they have always seemed to have a few spaces where I guess others have failed to turn up.

We can't always accomodate customers due to work load, but we are always pleasant to them as we might be able to the next time and be glad of their work and money.

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
You would be surprised how many tourers or motorhomes do just turn up without booking, mostly those who are on holiday in the UK and take a long holiday from work and just travel around the uk.

On the whole people do book, but my topic really was for those people that have booked and arrive on site way too early, when it does state clearly on booking, the time pitch will be ready.Why do they arrive way too early? Liz

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Being self employed, I and the guys that work for me take time away often when we've got a last minute chance. We often work over bank holidays so it's a last minute call if we can get away.

The one thing that P@@@'@ me off if some of the rude comments you get calling a site when you get a rude response saying like your F$$$$$$ stupid to be calling as "of course" we are full.

One site near Newquay has said call later and no doubt someone will not have turned up and sure enough we've headed off in the evening and parked in the early hours in a holding field and have soon be parked in the morning and they have always seemed to have a few spaces where I guess others have failed to turn up.

We can't always accomodate customers due to work load, but we are always pleasant to them as we might be able to the next time and be glad of their work and money.
I don`t find myself agreeing with much that cris says, but he`e got a point on rude site staff.

I rang a site last year we`ve been going to for 25 years (sometimes we`ve been the ONLY tourer or tent on site) to ask if there were any pitches free for the weekend. "You are, of course,joking aren`t you?" was the sarcastic reply from the site owner himself. Well, no.

But if he thinks he`s getting any more of my money, he`s having a laugh.

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
weve been to cornwall from lancashire every year and its a long drag weve always travelled through the night and the site weve used had a field where we could park this year is different weve changed site and if we arrive early we have nowhere to go

the thought of either sitting in traffic getting into cornwall at noon fills me with dread but if we arrive early wed have to drive around watergate bay for hours and most of the lay bys and services are full eberyone knows that so this year we plant to do a stop over half way down then because weve had some sleep instead of driving all night the traffic wont feel as bad

also cornwall shoud be easier this year aslong as india queens is up and running properly

i think if there is anywhere to park if you arrive early thats fine but you shouldnt pester people and hang around waiting for them to budge

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
It's rare if we arrive early and then usually no more than 30 minutes due to my bad timing. Our longest drives are around 200 miles and if I can see we are going to be early I pull into a layby when some miles away from the site. In all honesty I would be too embarrassed if I did arrive too early and expect the warden to accommodate us.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
As someone else as already said some sites have very valid reasons for asking people not to turn up before a certain time. This can either be narrow or poor access roads where you don't want to meet another outfit heading in opposite direction or the site not having a late arrivals area or space for outfits to park while awaiting their pitch becoming vacant.

I can only think of one occasion when we turned up early. We had travelled down from central Scotland to C.C. site at Rookesbury Park. We travelled overnight and I fully expected to stop for a good few hours at a motorway service area but found the roads very quiet and made really good time. I had slept for a few hours before setting off so felt alert as well so we just kept going. This meant we were going to arrive at the site just after 9am but phoned ahead to make sure this was o.k. with site before actually arriving. Site staff were fine with this, and let us on as there was a few empty pitches. I would have been quite happy to sit on late arrivals space if the site had been full.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts