Early Christmas present from my Xtrail

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I had it go into limp mode a few weeks ago on my way to pick up the van on my Devizes trip. Pulled off the main road and restarted it, no problem. Shrugged it off as there was no engine light and would have had a job getting garage to diagnose a fault for a one off problem with no fault code.

Today on my way back from work, DOUBLE engine light. Amber and red. I think the red basically means you need to stop right now, which I duely did. I've got a basic diagnostic code reader so I plugged that in and retrieved the fault code. It's a P0089 which is to do with the fuel pressure regulator. If I'm really "lucky" it could be a fuel pump issue, but a bit of searching suggests that the former is most likely. If it's just the regulator, it shouldn't be too expensive. Anyhow, I sat and thought about calling out the breakdown but as I started to feel the air cooling around me, I elected to gingerly drive it home.

I've had text exchange with a bloke I know who works at the garage and he says they're busy but should be able to fit me in. Hopefully it gets sorted before Christmas / new year. Got a few days in Devon booked over new year so hope I don't end up having to cancel.

Cars never break down at convenient times!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We did have a similar problem on a Vectra some years ago. The problem usually happened when going up steep hills and the engine always started straight away with no warning lights. I took it to the dealers who diagnosed a fault in the system and after that we had no problems.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We did have a similar problem on a Vectra some years ago. The problem usually happened when going up steep hills and the engine always started straight away with no warning lights. I took it to the dealers who diagnosed a fault in the system and after that we had no problems.
I have had two Vectras with " limp home " warnings. On the 2.2 diesel it was a split air intake hose, and on the 3.o diesel it was a blocked fuel filter in the fuel pump unit. Both at around 60k miles, changed to Hyundai's.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ours was the same diesel but at far lower mileages.
The 2.2 I fixed myself, but the fuel filter in the fuel injector system, I didn't have the time to do, so a Hyundai dealer gave me a very good deal, even knowing of the problem.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
The 2.2 I fixed myself, but the fuel filter in the fuel injector system, I didn't have the time to do, so a Hyundai dealer gave me a very good deal, even knowing of the problem.
It could be something as simple as the fuel filter. If it was about 20° warmer I’d take a punt and replace it myself.

Booked in for Tuesday. Can just about drive it if I keep to short journeys, avoid hills and drive as if I am in my nineties. Thick sleeping bag and warm clothes in the back in case I have to call the breakdown .

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
For my Fuel injector filter, it was a 4 hour strip down, investigation and then a , £ 2000 PX replacement and another 4 to 6 hour rebuild. But I had to go back to work overseas for 6 weeks, leaving the wife without a car, So a Santa Fe with warranty was a good move.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts