Easter Greenlaning update

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have arranged a "guide" from GLASS and he will meet us at a convenient point about an hour from the site I think. Exact route plan etc will be published on the day as he will need to check with the local Highways Officer as to which lanes are open. I think we should all appreciate the help and work that GLASS will be doing on our behalf.

One problem is that NO MORE THAN 4 VEHICLES will be allowed to travel in convoy on the lanes. This means that only three vehicles from our party will be partaking in the greenlaning.

Whilst this may be a disapointment it is important that we stick to the "Tread Lightly" rules.

The chap from Glass has a Series 1 Land Rover (that I shall no doubt lust after all day!) which has 9 seats available but suggests that we bring our own cushions!!

So there is no problem with seating once we meet up with the guy.

I suggest we work out on the day how many vehicles we actualy leave the site with. So we may have to squeeze in a bit on the way there and back, but with his 9 seats there will be plenty of room for the actual event.

I have asked him to ensure that we meet at a place safe to leave the "spare" vehicles whilst we are off Greenlaning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There's no chance of having two or more convoys, is there Clive?

The reason I ask is that it isn't just people we want to carry, it's also a picnic, camera gear, and any other paraphernalia we want to lug around.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There's no chance of having two or more convoys, is there Clive?

The reason I ask is that it isn't just people we want to carry, it's also a picnic, camera gear, and any other paraphernalia we want to lug around.
And BIG travel sickness tablets.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian & Lol

I have asked about two groups but being Easter we are lucky to get someone willing to give up their time. Also two groups = twice the work planning etc.

As for being a passenger Brian - I am more than happy not to take my vehicle as I do greenlaning regularly anyway and prefer being a passenger - you see more!

So if you want to drive no problem!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for getting back with this Clive, please be assured that we appreciate the involvement of the GLASS representative. However I can see others dropping out because of the restrictions and to me if one group goes, the option should be there for all to go. I honestly don't know what goes into organising such an event, from my point of view it seems simple, find the road, drive on it (using the obvious practices) and get to your destination. If these roads are open to anyone I can't see why we can't have several convoys. Like I said, I have no experience of this sort of event so correct me as you see fit. At the very least, should we take up Ian's idea of the local road (to Stourport) where the farmer organises the drive and gets his cut. I know it will cost more, but if in the end it means we can all attend would that not be a better idea? Anyway, this is your baby, so take it in the direction you think is best, we can ask no more of you, bud.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Mark, had a look at the site but there's a lot to take in and I'm struggling with the legalities of it all. As I understand it, anyone can use these roads that are open to traffic. What I would like to suggest is that with the help of the GLASS representative and the experience that we already have within the group, couldn't we travel in separate convoys? For example, we could all be given a brief by the rep on the route, how to drive and what to do in an emergency. He could then set off in the first convoy. Ten minuets later, headed by either Clive or Steve, the next convoy could set off, a total of eight cars, more than enough to give everyone a go that wants one. The only off-roading I have done is in a 4 tonner and series 3 Landrover way back, and it didn't take into consideration the tread lightly aspect that we will be using, so I am flying blind on this one.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
That a very kind offer Clive as the fun for me would be the driving, also Bina wants to drive 'off road', after all it is her car !

But I have to agree with Lol, there must be a way that we can all have a go even if it means paying a farmer or as he suggests go in two convoys ,after all if they are public roads and we are resposible who can stop us ?

Brian

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Yesterday I went through the motions of obtaining renewals quotes for my 4 x 4 and one of the compoanies told me in no uncertain terms that if the vehilce was damaged as a result of "greenlaning" it would not be covered. So be very careful if using your own vehicle! Also remember that most so called 4 x 4's are fairly useless off road. Quite often you will seepeople towing 4 x 4s behind thier own 4 x 4 and these are the vehicles that they use for greenlaning. Either way even as a passenger it is a very enjoyable experience when it is a"model" run. Bit different if you are in the wilds of Africa and there are no spares or tow truck available for miles around. Now that is excitement!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi guys

The main problem is that I do not know the area and I am not prepared to take the risk of straying onto a bridleway or footpath. For those of you who have never greenlaned before - PLEASE be aware that just because a BOAT is shown on the OS map - it does not mean that you can just go and drive on it. To do so is illegal and can and does result in points on your license and a fine.

We have enough problems of "hooligans" driving on lanes/bridleways/paths and I certainly do not want to be classified as one!

The GLASS guy will be checking which lanes are open and which ones will have TRO's (Traffic Restriction Orders) on them.

For those who have the attitude "what is to stop us?" - all I can say is that this attitude has very nearly closed down what little legal Byways are still available.

As I have said before - two convoys = twice the work. If anyone wants to go off on their own that is their choice. I am organising a legal day that follows the Tread Lightly rules.

I do not know about Steve but not knowing the area means that I could easily lead us onto a lane that has a TRO or onto a footpath or bridleway - hence the need for a guide.

I do not want to make criminals of us on what is supposed to be an enjoyable and entirely legal day out. What you have to realise is that the Ramblers Association in particular would have a field day if we strayed onto where we should not go.

For those that want to drive - there should be no problem.

For those of you never been in a Series Land Rover - believe me!! - Greenlaning in that will be the best experience of the day.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That a very kind offer Clive as the fun for me would be the driving, also Bina wants to drive 'off road', after all it is her car !

But I have to agree with Lol, there must be a way that we can all have a go even if it means paying a farmer or as he suggests go in two convoys ,after all if they are public roads and we are resposible who can stop us ?

Brian
Hi Brian

I a fair and reasonable world what you say would be true. But we have a group of "Anti's" that want to ban all motorised vehicles from what little Byways are still open (just 5%!)

Please have a look at the GLASS website and also those such as the Ramblers who want a total ban

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa

BOATS - are roads like any other and so can have restrictions placed upon them. Trouble is that the local council can close a BOAT at any time via a TRO. It is "thought" that the signs put up are often removed by "The Ramblers" so that they can have the pleasure of reporting illegal use.

Driving on a BOAT that becomes a Bridleway is all too easy! It does not look any different and there are no permanent signs.

If you do end up driving on a bridleway it is about the same as driving the wrong way down a one way street.

The Natural Environment and Rural Communities (NERC) Bill currently going thro' Parliament seeks to remove even the 5% of legal BOAT's.

This even when the very research commissioned by those wanting to shut down the lanes actually proved that most damage was done by Tractors and ----

wait for it -----

walkers!

It even quoted the damage done to Snowdon and certain parts of the Lake District by thousands of feet and put a value on the cost of repair.

Considering the likes of GLASS and FoDRoW provide manpower for the upkeep of the Greenlanes it seemed somewhat churlish of the Ramblers Association to drop and ignore this particular bit of research because it did not say what they wanted it to.

Thankfully, due to some effective lobbying, it is now coming to light and the more draconian bits of the NERC Bill are being watered down.

In summary - get it wrong and we will have problems.

and THAT is why we need a guide.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
How about if a guide covers the route ahead and tracks it all on GPS (or at least pertinent waypoints)? The saved data could be made available to others following later in one or more smaller groups so long as they also have satnav. That way one would be sure that all use the same route even without each group having to have a guide to make sure we don't stray.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
When I go offroading in the desert, I follow published waypoint data to keep me on my route when driving on my own so I figured what works there should work on a smaller scale here, too.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Clive, I'm not suggesting we do anything illegal.I just wonder what the problem is if two groups travel the same route with a reasonable time between them. That surely is not twice the planning but the same planning used twice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree - I like what Lutz suggests as well - never having used GPS it did not occur to me.

I will let the GLASS guy know of these suggestions and post the responce asap.

And Brian - having read my post I realise it could read as tho' I was thinking you wanted to "drive anywhere" - that was not my thoughts at the time.

In fact I agree with you 100% - if the lanes are legal roads why should our wanting to use them be such a politically "hot potato".

Why should one minority dictate to another what they can and can not do?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree - I like what Lutz suggests as well - never having used GPS it did not occur to me.

I will let the GLASS guy know of these suggestions and post the responce asap.

And Brian - having read my post I realise it could read as tho' I was thinking you wanted to "drive anywhere" - that was not my thoughts at the time.

In fact I agree with you 100% - if the lanes are legal roads why should our wanting to use them be such a politically "hot potato".

Why should one minority dictate to another what they can and can not do?
My wife gets away with it.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts