eBay question?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We bought this Wash Basin off eBay. In the picture it looks great however on receipt of the item, it is faded on the inside almost as if it has been bleached in the sun. You can see the line between the bleached and non-bleached sections. I am not sure if we can resurrect the previous darker colour as it seems they used a compound which removed the gloss off the inside of the wash basin.
If we cannot resurrect it we have a bit of a dilemma as we can go ahead and fit it into the caravan anyway. We are not sure if we can return it as the seller stated they will not accept returns. We also paid extra for it to be courier and it should have arrived last Friday at the latest however it only arrived this morning 10 days after the original order. The article is not as described. We had the same wash basin in a caravan that was rejected so know exactly what it should look like.
We wanted this style as the current wash basin is difficult to use if you suffer from arthritis in your wrists and forearms as it is narrow with high sides. Any advice wouls be appreciated. Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Quite simple reply to the Seller using eBay message contact. If you don’t get any success then open a dispute via the EBay system. Do not contact the directly other than by the EBay message and dispute procedures. I’ve always found EBay excellent in this regard.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Quite simple reply to the Seller using eBay message contact. If you don’t get any success then open a dispute via the EBay system. Do not contact the directly other than by the EBay message and dispute procedures. I’ve always found EBay excellent in this regard.
Thanks Clive. The basin new costs in excess of £300 which is why we were hoping we could get the gloss back rather than returning it. IMHO the cleaning agent used by the seller messed it up. It would look a bit out of place with the faded colouring in a fairly new caravan.

I am wondering if something like this will help? https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/polytrol/

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Clive. The basin new costs in excess of £300 which is why we were hoping we could get the gloss back rather than returning it. IMHO the cleaning agent used by the seller messed it up. It would look a bit out of place with the faded colouring in a fairly new caravan.

I am wondering if something like this will help? https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/polytrol/
It might but by doing anything to it you will invalidate your position with EBay or any other Seller whether online or direct. But polytrol cannot be used on white surfaces.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is a granite or grey looking surface.
As Clive suggests it might work, but then again it might make it worse!

The Web site won't let me open the Ebay listing so I cant see the sellers description of the item. That is crucial as to whether you do have a right to return the item as not as described.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As Clive suggests it might work, but then again it might make it worse!

The Web site won't let me open the Ebay listing so I cant see the sellers description of the item. That is crucial as to whether you do have a right to return the item as not as described.
John
Sellers often put returns not accepted but that doesn’t prevent the Buyer taking up their concerns with the seller via EBay or raising a dispute. Of all the things I’ve bought on EBay I’ve only been dissatisfied with two. A pair of Yaktrax that just wouldn’t fit the advertised size boots, and a load liner for a Superb which again did not fit the boot either. I sorted both out satisfactorily but was meticulous to stay within the rules of the site.

EBay returns

Last edited:
May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi Buckman
Your 1st thing to do is to contact the seller through eBay message including photos of the wash basin and a description of faults, they will have a certain time to reply, if they don't reply then you can open a dispute via eBay for a refund. Don't contact seller directly. Send all messages through eBay!!
Good luck hope everything ends well
Gra

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John
Sellers often put returns not accepted but that doesn’t prevent the Buyer taking up their concerns with the seller via EBay or raising a dispute. Of all the things I’ve bought on EBay I’ve only been dissatisfied with two. A pair of Yaktrax that just wouldn’t fit the advertised size boots, and a load liner for a Superb which again did not fit the boot either. I sorted both out satisfactorily but was meticulous to stay within the rules of the site.

EBay returns
Hello Clive.

I too have encountered some issues with Ebay sellers who may have stated "no returns" but when they send me the wrong item, then they have no choice but to accept a return.

I have also had one item that was described as "Like New" but was clearly used, and again Ebay supported my returns claim.

The concern I have for Buckman's purchase is if for example:- it was described as "used or with marks" then the if it is discoloured then it is not returnable as it was described accurately. But if it was described without any reference to colour or surface damage, then he may have legitimate case to return it.

It all depends on how the item is described.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello Clive.

I too have encountered some issues with Ebay sellers who may have stated "no returns" but when they send me the wrong item, then they have no choice but to accept a return.

I have also had one item that was described as "Like New" but was clearly used, and again Ebay supported my returns claim.

The concern I have for Buckman's purchase is if for example:- it was described as "used or with marks" then the if it is discoloured then it is not returnable as it was described accurately. But if it was described without any reference to colour or surface damage, then he may have legitimate case to return it.

It all depends on how the item is described.
I was aware that it was second hand, but was not aware that it was faded due to a cleaning agent. We have decided that as we need that shape of basin due to arthritis in wrists and forearms. A new basin is over £300. We will try and restore the gloss using oils as it appears to be a composite type of plastic.
The basin sides etc are very thick and it is heavy unlike the current wash basin which is very thin and very lightweight. We will keep the current one in our garage and can always exchange it back if and when we sell the caravan. Thanks very much for all your input.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was aware that it was second hand, but was not aware that it was faded due to a cleaning agent. We have decided that as we need that shape of basin due to arthritis in wrists and forearms. A new basin is over £300. We will try and restore the gloss using oils as it appears to be a composite type of plastic.
The basin sides etc are very thick and it is heavy unlike the current wash basin which is very thin and very lightweight. We will keep the current one in our garage and can always exchange it back if and when we sell the caravan. Thanks very much for all your input.
Be interested to hear how the restorer liquid works.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Gtechniq sell stuff for car exterior plastic resto that work well c2or 3 from memory that might help or I suppose you could try one of those sink,shower liner restoration kits if what you bought isn't great. Even. A good t cut and polish might help.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The idea that returns are not accepted is not legally enforceable as the product must be as described, if it is not then you can return it for a full refund. I have not seen the advert so do not know what it said, but if it was mis described then get back to e bay and open up a dispute if the basin is not up to the standard you would expect from the advert wording.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
As an ebay seller albeit v occasional myself I take great pride in my 100% positive feedback; there's no way I'd mis describe something and if I had , somehow would take it straight back even if there are 'no returns'. TBH on ebay I always err on the safe side and list every little defect if that applies. Honesty is the best etc. You have that weapon in your armoury!

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts