EHU does not seem to work

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
My wife & I have recently purchased an Elldis 180 motor-home 08/09, I have a problem with the electrical hook up, it doesn’t seem to work?

Owing to the time of year when we purchased the motor-home, we have only been away on three weekends, and I believe it has never worked, and we have just been relying on the leisure battery, as the alternator charges it fine when the engine is running.

I have checked the main alternator and its output is around 14v, I have checked the hook up leads and they test OK, I have checked the female socket and it is wired up correctly. Today I connected the hook up, and checked the consumer unit and circuit breakers and all were receiving 240v, I then tested the on-board battery charger and its output was just over 14v, the leisure battery is nearly flat and no voltage from the hook up seems to be getting through? Are there any relays hidden away that could account for this.

Your help would be most appreciated.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Elddis used to publish wiring diagrams, showing all fuses and relays, in their handbooks. If you don't have one you can download a PDF version from their Archives.

Graham

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Do all your other 240v sockets etc work?
In most cases there are fuses on the charging circuit close to the batteries, so check around the hab. battery.
Alan

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
You should have a switch, for changing, between both batteries. Maybe you have this set to engine battery??

On our Swift, which is simalar, though earlier model, this is what we have. Ours is with the row of switches for checking water level, battery level, outside light etc.

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I disconnected the leisure battery and connected to EHU, all sockets working and eventually tested all fuses, disconnected hab charger unit, a piece of metal has come away inside the charger unit and it does appear to show slight impact damage to one corner? re-checked charger and no power output. So I suspect the charger unit is the culprit and probably fried due to the chunk of metal, it is a sealed unit and I can only see through the cooling grills. Do you know where I can buy a new one from. Thanks for your help Peter.

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I disconnected the leisure battery and connected to EHU, all sockets working and eventually tested all fuses, disconnected hab charger unit, a piece of metal has come away inside the charger unit and it does appear to show slight impact damage to one corner? re-checked charger and no power output. So I suspect the charger unit is the culprit and probably fried due to the chunk of metal, it is a sealed unit and I can only see through the cooling grills. Do you know where I can buy a new one from.
The switch is meant to be automatic, when the main engine runs the alternator charges both batteries, the switch you mean is between vehicle and auxiliary.
Thanks for your help Peter.

(Duplicate post deleted - TJ)

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
From what you say it certainly does point at the charger being fried. Most such units have some sort of make & model identification on them so Googling might find a supplier. Failing that, removing it and taking it to a local caravan supplies shop or approved workshop might be the easiest way of identifying a replacement.

Graham

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts