Elddis Advante 840

Jun 6, 2021
Visit site
Hi
Just looking for some advice. We have just upgraded and bought an elddis Advante 840 2020 from a friend but our vauxhall insignia is unsuitable to tow this. What cars do you have that will tow this comfortably?
Thanks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The 840 has an MTPLM of 1724kgs however can be plated up to 1800kg giving you an extra 76kg payload. Hopefully you are having a AWD motor mover fitted as a heavy caravan to move around.
You are looking at 4x4 territory to safely tow this caravan as you will need a vehicle with kerb weight of approximately 2120kg. We have the Buccaneer and use a Jeep Grand Cherokee CRS 3.0l for towing, but every one has their own preference for a towing vehicle. We have also used a Shogun but that was very heavy on fuel.
Hopefully you have a B+E driving licence?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi
Just looking for some advice. We have just upgraded and bought an elddis Advante 840 2020 from a friend but our vauxhall insignia is unsuitable to tow this. What cars do you have that will tow this comfortably?
Thanks
There are just so many vehicles that will tow this it’s an impossible question. But they will be a step up from your Insignia. Do you want a large tow vehicle used principally for towing and have a smaller vehicle for daily use. Do you want diesel or petrol/ hybrid? Do you have a BE licence because if you don’t then you will require to take a test. Do you have children, dogs etc.

You are into X5, Jeep, Discovery, Hilux, Defender territory
More information would help.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 6, 2021
Visit site
The 840 has an MTPLM of 1724kgs however can be plated up to 1800kg giving you an extra 76kg payload. Hopefully you are having a AWD motor mover fitted as a heavy caravan to move around.
You are looking at 4x4 territory to safely tow this caravan as you will need a vehicle with kerb weight of approximately 2120kg. We have the Buccaneer and use a Jeep Grand Cherokee CRS 3.0l for towing, but every one has their own preference for a towing vehicle. We have also used a Shogun but that was very heavy on fuel.
Hopefully you have a B+E driving licence?

Yes it's already has a motor mover fitted thankfully 😊 My husband is the one towing and he due to take the test in a few weeks 👍 He wants a Ford ranger but I just wondered what others use 😀

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You do not necessarily require a 4WD SUV the large MB, Audi and Volvo estates could be suitable too.
As a matter of interest, which ones would be capable of towing a caravan with a MTPLM 1800 and staying within the 85% guideline. Doesn't the Volvo XC90 have a maximum nose weight of 90kg although it is quite capable of towing 1800kg?

Yes it's already has a motor mover fitted thankfully 😊 My husband is the one towing and he due to take the test in a few weeks 👍 He wants a Ford ranger but I just wondered what others use 😀

The Ford Ranger with the 3.0l engine is a very capable vehicle and will cope with the 1800kg quite easily. With the 2.2l 160bhp engine the maximum towing weight is between 1600 & 1800kg. Quite a few people use the 3.0 or 3.2L Wildtrak to tow the Buccaneer a heavier caravan. The double cab is the obvious choice.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Who said that you have to stay at 85%. If the OP is an experienced caravanner they could go higher than the 85% guideance. I don’t intend to spend time looking but having seen large estates like Mercedes E class towing large twin axle outfits perhaps you could advise. If the XC90, which model year and model, does have 90 kg noseweight it’s within industry guidelines at 5.44% towing 1800 kg.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Who said that you have to stay at 85%. If the OP is an experienced caravanner they could go higher than the 85% guideance. I don’t intend to spend time looking but having seen large estates like Mercedes E class towing large twin axle outfits perhaps you could advise

Apologies I thin k you misunderstood my question. I was not referring to the OP but out of interest I was wondering if there were any non 4x4s that could possibly tow a 1800kg caravan within the 85% guideline.
However I did do a check anyway and there appear to be none that can at 85%, but many close at to the 90% or higher however for all you would need very deep pockets. :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Apologies I thin k you misunderstood my question. I was not referring to the OP but out of interest I was wondering if there were any non 4x4s that could possibly tow a 1800kg caravan within the 85% guideline.
However I did do a check anyway and there appear to be none that can at 85%, but many close at to the 90% or higher however for all you would need very deep pockets. :D
Never said they would be cheap, but the OP hasn’t stipulated a budget so we can only surmise in the absence of more information.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do not automatically assume you need big 4x4 or SUV for towing a caravan of this size. Yes it does need to be a substantial tow car, but there are several out there that would mange this caravan perfectly satisfactorily.

Because caravans are far from "ideal trailers" you do need to be wary about matching, but following the industry advice (and it is only advice not law) it would be wise to look for a tow vehicle with an kerbweight that exceeds the caravans MTPLM by about 18%

As for nose load the advice is you should adjust your loading of the caravan to try and achieve a load of between 5 to 7% of the caravans MTPLM, so despite the concern about the Volvo XC90 it is perfectly capable with its 90kg.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
I won’t enter my opinion on suitable towcar as its all down to personal preference imo.
Last week, whilst travelling home down the m6 (Thelwall Viaduct area) I was following an outfit (stayed behind it for a few miles). It was all over the place, weather was fine and no winds.
On passing it, I observed the van to be a Swift twin axle, car was a Ford Kuga and tbh the car was being bossed all over the place, must have been quite unpleasant.
I quite like having a heavy towcar and lucky enough not to worry about the fuel.
My current caravan is around a 50% match to our car so is really comfy when travelling, be interesting to see how that changes once we upgrade to a twin axle in the near future.
Buy the biggest vehicle you can afford would be my advice.

Kev

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
If you hubby wants a Ford Ranger-you'll not go wrong-super tow vehicle-the 2.2 twin turbo is getting very good reviews. We tow with a Nissan Navara but have a Buccaneer at 2000kg-very stable tow-we're delighted with it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I won’t enter my opinion on suitable towcar as its all down to personal preference imo.
Last week, whilst travelling home down the m6 (Thelwall Viaduct area) I was following an outfit (stayed behind it for a few miles). It was all over the place, weather was fine and no winds.
On passing it, I observed the van to be a Swift twin axle, car was a Ford Kuga and tbh the car was being bossed all over the place, must have been quite unpleasant.
I quite like having a heavy towcar and lucky enough not to worry about the fuel.
My current caravan is around a 50% match to our car so is really comfy when travelling, be interesting to see how that changes once we upgrade to a twin axle in the near future.
Buy the biggest vehicle you can afford would be my advice.

Kev
Sounds like an ill matched combination and heaven knows what the car and caravan loading and distribution were.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you hubby wants a Ford Ranger-you'll not go wrong-super tow vehicle-the 2.2 twin turbo is getting very good reviews. We tow with a Nissan Navara but have a Buccaneer at 2000kg-very stable tow-we're delighted with it.
I don't think the 2.2l can tow 1800kg or if it can it would be right on the limit however still a good tow vehicle.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have now found the specs on the 2.2l 160bhp auto and it can tow up to 3500kg. Manual can only manage 1800kg.
But it could probably manage it day in day out. But the Ranger was upgraded a couple of years ago the 2.2 disappeared and a 2.0 became the mainstream engine with three different power outputs.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But it could probably manage it day in day out. But the Ranger was upgraded a couple of years ago the 2.2 disappeared and a 2.0 became the mainstream engine with three different power outputs.
Originally it was the 2.2l but was underpowered so along came the 3.2l, but now the 2.2l has made a come back and is proving to be quite popular. Ranger has had the 2.2, 2.5, 3.0 and 3.2 engines fitted at some point.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
All post 19 Rangers have a towing capacity of over 2500kg. Early models were. as Buckman says different and some had 1800kg.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts