Elddis and the shift to the AlKo chassis.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi to you all out there. I have recently read on another forum that Elddis have switched over to the AlKo chassis from the long running association with the BPW chassis.
I was aware that the reborn/reintroduced Compass Range was built on the Alko chassis and that at the time of the change it was reported that there were no plans to use them across the whole of their products.
The AlKo chassis is said to be not only a lighter but cheaper product and possibly a much more flexible one and therefore have less torsional stiffness when it comes to the longer chassis lengths.

Can anyone shed any light on this at -all?

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I don't have an in depth knowledge of the change but I'm sure that a company such as Elddis would not use a chassis that was unsafe. All my caravans so far have had Al-Ko chassis' and I've never noticed a lack of stiffness.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
PaulT said:
I don't have an in depth knowledge of the change but I'm sure that a company such as Elddis would not use a chassis that was unsafe. All my caravans so far have had Al-Ko chassis' and I've never noticed a lack of stiffness.[/quote

Hi Paul. I did NOT say that they were unsafe. This is what I said :-

The AlKo chassis is said to be not only a lighter but cheaper product and possibly a much more flexible one and therefore have less torsional stiffness when it comes to the longer chassis lengths.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I did wonder if the use of the Alko chassis on the compass range was a way of comparing the two makes whatever was the offocial line.
If the ALKO is cheaper and lighter then in the current climate that is probably all the manufacturers want to know, although as it is the standard on virtually all other caravans in this country there should be no problem with its use as it is well proven.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Raywood said:
I did wonder if the use of the Alko chassis on the compass range was a way of comparing the two makes whatever was the offocial line.
If the ALKO is cheaper and lighter then in the current climate that is probably all the manufacturers want to know, although as it is the standard on virtually all other caravans in this country there should be no problem with its use as it is well proven.

Hi Ray. I am not entirely sure as to whether you had been following the woes of some of Elddis/The Explorer Group product owners and certain of the variants on another forum but after best part of 10yrs+ Elddis announce with the usual fanfare that the 'New Compass Range' is going to be mounted on the AlKo chassis.
This coincided very conveniently when the Compass name became available again after the demise of Discover Leisure - they had had it as their Dealer Special after Wandahome ceased using it and went onto the Avante as basis of their Dealer Special.

During an 'Open Evening' with Elddis on the other forum - questions were raised about the switch to the AlKo chassis and as I recall the replies were challenged by one or two forum members and the conversion topic was swiftly moved on.
Way back in March 2011 at a Members Question Time & Open Forum under the auspices of The Caravan Club a representative of Elddis was questioned about a rather well aired issue across their Stable and model ranges - the specific point was reference a Compass Rallye. The response was - quote "Elddis are aware of this fault and changes to the design have now been made".

In hindsight it would appear that the change was all part & parcel of the switch to SoLiD. Indeed the switch to the AlKo chassis would appear to be little more than a fortuitous opportunity to combine the introduction of SoLiD and a switch of chassis. This would provide two research 'Test Beds' for the SoLiD construction method instead of only the BPW chassis the had been used throughout their model ranges for a very very long time. The original Compass range was indeed mounted on the BPW product until it was 'Re-born'.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/98415-alko-chassis/

I'm still none the wiser!

Hello Dusty

I'm no wiser either.

There is a reference to a public meeting where it is claimed a manufacture admitted to having a structural problem with some caravans. This has strong echo's of a very protracted thread which the OP was very active.

Having read the thread you point to on CT, I was amazed to see comemnts like

"Hope not as I like the BPW chassis, think it tows much better than the AL-KO. It has already put me off buying another Compass."

How any normal caravanner can make a statement like that, they simply do not have the means to make a direct comparison!

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Dustydog said:
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/98415-alko-chassis/

I'm still none the wiser!

Hello Dusty

I'm no wiser either.

There is a reference to a public meeting where it is claimed a manufacture admitted to having a structural problem with some caravans. This has strong echo's of a very protracted thread which the OP was very active.

Having read the thread you point to on CT, I was amazed to see comemnts like

"Hope not as I like the BPW chassis, think it tows much better than the AL-KO. It has already put me off buying another Compass."

How any normal caravanner can make a statement like that, they simply do not have the means to make a direct comparison!

Hi ProfJohnL. I actually have a transcript from that very meeting,there is no CLAIMING about it - it happened and was documented - all 5+ A4 pages of it.
There were 25 questions raised covering a range of issues/queries/ across the subjects of The Caravan Club,The NCC,Approved workshops,Warranty work,Green Flag,Red Pennant and other caravanning related concerns.

Perhaps if you yourself had experienced some of the issues that a great many members on that forum had experienced and had to suffer and endure some of the less than ethical response from their dealers and the constant denials by the manufacturer and worst still the blaming of one issue in particular on Potholes and Kerbing you might then actually be 'A Great Deal' wiser. Claim on your insurance was another response.
Couple this with such disgust of the manufacturer and the products in question that some individuals actually either or both - had the repairs done privately or eventually and only after The Sale of Goods Act was issued against the dealers finally had them attended to. Some of those caravanner's then sold there caravans just to get rid of them. Such was their measure of related stresses.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello TR,
The matters you raise if they have any merit in law should be pursued. If you or any other of the attendees have done so then that closes the matter. Constantly reiterating your story in the forum is not going to change the outcome.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John
I can appreciate TR's frustration particularly as he has probably lost a lot of money.
You will recall the case of my friends disintegrated Avon dale. We explored all avenues for restitution. Sadly we failed but at least we had a go.
Sometimes TR , hard as it is, we have to accept a loss and try a different brand.
Clear Elddis have failed you and others. If that failure means fewer buy Elddis then your efforts have perhaps had some success.
Time to move I think.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello TR,
The matters you raise if they have any merit in law should be pursued. If you or any other of the attendees have done so then that closes the matter. Constantly reiterating your story in the forum is not going to change the outcome.

Hi ProfJohnL & Dustydog. firstly - ProfJohnL your opening line would lead me to believe that you are of the opinion that I was present at that meeting as were others - I was not UNFORTUNATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have very good reason to believe that the person/persons that owned the Compass Rallye were/are indeed subscribers to 'The Other Forum'. My understanding is that they eventually and only after a great deal of grief finally had the 'nightmare of a caravan sorted out and then got rid.
Each and every one of the other affected individuals from The Other Forum have dealt with their issue/issues either one way or another and my latest understanding is that they have also gotten rid of their own individual nemesis. Some have actually left caravanning and gone to Motorhomes and some have gone the Static Caravan route.

I personally do not have the means nor contacts to move this into and pursue this issue to where it should rightfully be dealt with. Automotive manufacturers have for many years been made to 'Stand-up & Be Counted'.
Why not manufacturers of Touring Caravans?

With respect - as for this statement :- "Constantly reiterating your story in the forum is not going to change the outcome".[/quote]
The very very old adage :- The more mud that you throw at a wall - the better is the chance of it sticking - comes to mind here.

Dustydog. I have moved on (metaphorically). Indeed the SuperSirocco is in for a rather expensive repair programme. Without the repair it would hardly raise a respectable amount of SCRAP value and then I would have totally lost-out.
As is stands,the caravan will come back and it will realise a true market value again. I will put it up for sale and then that is another caravanner's caravanning over from the perspective of products from the mainstream and relatively untouchable purveyors of products that often result in disappointment,expensive changes of direction and thinking - coupled with levels of stress that in some areas of employment would bring about large amounts of financial recompense.

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
This topic is a little worrying as I have just purchased a new Elddis Avante Chatsworth.
Does the avante range have any problems with being on the bpw chassis?
If anyone knows please let me know.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Intransient

I had an Elddis 505 avante sunseeker dealer special. Served us well no problems.

I assume yours will come with the new SoLiD construction. If you have purchased from a good quality well respected dealer they should resolve any problems swiftly for you. All the caravan makers have produced dogs in their time. Some have dealt with problems better than others as detailed on here and other forums.

As for BPW chassis I believe they are as competent and reliable as the Al-Ko .

Thankyou TR.
I am fully aware of the horrific aggravation time and stress spent on the cracking issues.
Let's hope the caravan manufacturers read all the posts and take heed of your posts.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi to both Intransient & Dustydog. The issues that I have related to and one specific issue in particular have not affected all models across the stable of this particular 'Group'. It seemingly has not been reported as an issue from the stables of others - either.
That said it has affected the examples of the longer single axle variants and a considerable number (over the years) of their twin axle variants. I am aware that not even the 'Top End' Buccaneer range has escaped the blight of the more commonly reported issues - after-all it is in principle just a lavishly 'Dolled Up' and more costly version of the lowly 'Entry Level' variants.
The short bodied variants across the model ranges are not being reported as 'affected' by the singular major issue that has had a very very lengthy airing on the other forum. Some of those airings were not only became 'Locked Posts' but some were totally removed from view on the forum. One actually reached a staggering 462+ replies/inputs. The original poster of that one in particular had his Elddis Odyssey repaired and promptly got rid.
That however does not mean that they are no longer available to view - one just needs to know where to look.

If either or both of you are disposed to seek my registered E'mail address from Admin (Parksy) I will gladly be available after initial contact but on the telephone.

The absence of a PM system/facility on the forum makes things a little convoluted.

In conclusion - I am not an Elddis Basher as has been suggested,I actually do prefer certain of their products over others in the mainstream. I think that their twin axle Avante range (pre- SoLiD) had some very desirable attributes and my all time favoured one was the 624 with NS fixed bed. It is just a pity that they did not do a longitudinal island bed layout as per the Crusader Cyclone.

As for reading the posts - well some take more heed than others and some just want to 'Shut the Posters up'. and hope that it all blows over and new queues of eager beavers are waiting in the wings.

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi TR,
Thanks for the reply it has help clarify the position somewhat.
As with most new vans I have a few issues but nothing like my previous van.
I will keep a close eye on things as the van is comfortable, tows well and has everything we need.
I hope it is fine as this van will hopefully see me out.

TRENDING THREADS