Elddis Cyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Visit site
I have just bought this caravan its the 1985 model. can anyone tell me the tyre pressure what it should be? i dont think there is any documentation with it.

MANY thanks

Simon

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Simon,

I have a Cyclone EX2000 with 14 inch wheels and I contacted Elddis direct for the tyre pressure and they stated 55 p.s.i, but I would be carefull as these pressure's differ from model to model and you are correct they do not publish any thing in the handbook. You could try the Elddis owners club on line but I think I drew a blank.

Rob

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
'85 Elddis used 13" wheels/tyres so the pressures used on 14" are likely to be very different.

Firstly determine the Gross Weight of your caravan. Secondly, determine the Maximum Load and Pressure for the tyres. This is moulded on the sidewall but a few obscure brands don't have this information.

Calculate pressure = max tyre pressure x gross weight / max tyre load / 2.

This will give a guide setting in the absence of any detailed info for that year and model, which would only be valid if the caravan is still on the original size and type of tyre.

Apr 13, 2006
Visit site
Many thanks for that. I will try the owners club. One final question as I am a total newbie to caravanning. I need to clean it as its dull with a few too many black streaks for my liking. I have been told Bobby Dazzler is good, is this true? Also as its an Alu body can I wax it afterwards with, say AutoGlym then use my soft electric buffing machine to bing a shine to it? Its one of these sheepskin pads on it.

MANy thanks sorry for the two questions

Simon

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Simon,

Fenwicks Bobby Dazzaler is good but it is a finishing product not a cleaner. Get hold of some Fenwicks caravan cleaner it comes in 1 ltr bottle and is a concentrate. Mix to Fenwicks instructions and follow the instructions and you will be amazed at the results.If you have stubbon black streaks just mix a small solution of 1 part Caravan cleaner to 9 parts water. This is just the same as the fenwicks black streak remover. Always remember to work from the bottom to the top as the Fenwicks instructions, hard to belive as I always clean a car from the top to the bottom. The fenwicks Bobby Dazzler should be used afterwards as this gives a great shine and helps to reduce muck sticking. As far as the tyres go I would go with the advice given about size to weight ratio, as I said my tyres are 14" and not 13"

Rob

Apr 13, 2006
Visit site
MANY THANKS Rob. I am off to the caravan shop tomorrow so will give it a whirl. I only got the van Friday and the cheapo wing mirror I bought started coming off on the M6. It was only a fiver i suppose but my wing mirrors are quite big and round and the straps provided with the mirror are not big enough to go round. I am going to get a "suck it and see" so hopefully that will do the job. Oh and I am having an Alko stabilizer fitted Tuesday ready for the off on Friday to Somerset. I should have cleaned it by then with any luck.

Thanks again Rob much appreciated

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks,

Same to you.Only other thing I would suggest is a good caravan through flow cleaning brush, they cut the work load down dramatically. Film has just finished so i'm off to bed.

If you need any more help send a post.

Rob

Happy Easter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Simon,

Have you started cleaning yet. I was quiet intrested in your comments on the " suck it and see" attached mirror. I have used the magnum type mirrors for years and I must say the vibration from road and vehicle leaves a lot to be desired. Practical Caravan carried out a test recently on the best type I will check it out for you. Also brought back the van to-day from storage to clean. Started at 1.30p.m and finiseed the out side at 8.50p.m apart from 1 hr for dinner. The wife was not happy when I said O.K see you in a couple of minuites (30mins later burnt roast lamb and potatoes) My fault oops. Maybe I should have done dinner and left the wife to clean the van. Whats wrong with pot noodle, a packet of walkers and a bottle of wine. I think I'm in the dog house. Maybe I will try the pub.

Rob

Apr 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Rob

Well I did a bit of reading up on the mirror and decided it would suit me better. We have such bulky wing mirrors its difficult to get the straps to go round them. Anyway the SIAS is tested to 120mph and obviously I will only be doing 119 when towing :)I put it on today and wound the nut round to expell all the air and its great. Thing is that you can adjest it from the inside also just like you would with your own mirror, unlike the strap on type.

Well i cleaned the van today, started at 10am and finished about 7pm. Mind it was mucky. There is some wood on the Elddis at the bottoms all the way along the sides and they look like they are rotting so are next on the "to do" list, which is ever growing.

Funny that you mentioned the wife, are you sure yours isnt related to mine? I said it would take me probably an hour, 9 hours later and she said my tea was in the dog. Poor bloody dog I say !

I did mention to her that if she wanted to clean it i would gladly let her do it, she unfortunately didnt take me up on it.

Simon

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Simon,

Some of the dinner ended up in the dog. I had to sit there and hang on to the lamb bone as she had a feast. She's getting to old to let her demolish the lot as the bone gives her a deli belli. Visiting the hosptal to morrow to have two fore fingers sewn back on and minor lacerations to the thumbs treated.

Where is the wood you are talking about. Inside or outside.The only exterior wood I have is

1. in the A frame to attach the front A frame faring

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To Continue

2. where the external water outlets are mounted

3 the floor

Inside its all over,but its O.K

Did the fenwicks do the job?

So much for a easy Easter. Now have scotch and water in hand and replying to Emails.Bliss

Rob

Apr 13, 2006
Visit site
The wood is along both sides of the van at the bottom. It runs the length of the van front to back.the very bottom of the van sides. Its on the outside. Its painted white but needs redoing as its showing signs of wear. Fenwicks did a great job. The black streaks came off real east with it diluted right. I also bought some fenwicks cream to buff out some of the window scratches.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Simon.

Is the wood below the alloy body line or above? As far of the rainaway Iv'e not heard of that one. The Fenwicks windowwize is great stuff. Last year in france I got a little too close to a hedge and put fine scratches into the windows. Used the windowwize and elbow grease and the scratches were gone,expensive but excellent. Also if your perspex windows look smeared Autogym do a excellent product for cleaning perspex.I used it today and it gave a great finish. It is not the glass cleaner(thats great too)I will have to go to the garage and check its name.

Will respond shortly once I've been to the garage and topped up the scotch

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Scotch topped up.

The window cleaner is called Autoglym Fast Glass. Spray it on,clean with a soft cloth,allow to dry and then buff with a dry clothy. I don't work for either Autoglym ofr Fenwicks but have benn camping for 27 years and I teach people in the motor industry(never mind)and you tend to pick up good advice from not only the technicians but the valeters. Any thing to get a good finish on the car and the van without killing myself at the same time is good for me.

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Simon,

enjoy Somerset when you go.Contact Elddis re tyre pressures by e mail or phone. There Email address is www.explorergroup.co.uk.

Might here from you over the next couple of days but mem shiab and I are of to Florence for a week(25 years married, get less for murder as they say, but I don't reget it) anay way drive save have a good time and if you need any more info send a post.

Rob and Nicky

Apr 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Rob

Sorry for the delay in replying.

The wood is right at the very bottom of the caravan, right on the 45degree angle between the side and the bottom. The rainaway stuff is great if you are going 45mph +. With the wind on the windscreen rain cannot stick to it so you dont even need the wipers on, when travelling on the motorway. We have used it before and when everyone else had their on like the clappers we didnt have ours on at all and the windscreen was perfectly clear.

I will try the glass stuff but from looking at the van I think the scratches are too deap.

Hope you have a lovely time in Florence :) I wil be inline till Thursday then off to Somerset so wont be oline then. If we get a house down there I will come on here and give you a shout.

just off now to have the Alko fitted :)

have fun matey

kindest regards as always

Simon

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob

Sorry for the delay in replying.

The wood is right at the very bottom of the caravan, right on the 45degree angle between the side and the bottom. The rainaway stuff is great if you are going 45mph +. With the wind on the windscreen rain cannot stick to it so you dont even need the wipers on, when travelling on the motorway. We have used it before and when everyone else had their on like the clappers we didnt have ours on at all and the windscreen was perfectly clear.

I will try the glass stuff but from looking at the van I think the scratches are too deap.

Hope you have a lovely time in Florence :) I wil be inline till Thursday then off to Somerset so wont be oline then. If we get a house down there I will come on here and give you a shout.

just off now to have the Alko fitted :)

have fun matey

kindest regards as always

Simon
Hi Simon,

Have a great time in somerset and I hope the van does you proud and you have a great time.From the way you talk and discussion on the M6 I presume you are northert based. Florence 25 years married and never regret a moment, but could persuade nicky to go to France in the van. She said that will be O.K in July. No problems with that a freind of ours who we visit frequently own's a camp site a La Haye de Puits on the Cherborge pinnsular. I f you want to take the van across the water it is a site I can recommend, Its great. Clean,tidy,a fishing lake and La Haye du Puits is about 3/4 of a mile away with good restaurants and bars without being commercial, just a typical lovely French town.

This window stuff your talking about is it simalar to Rainex that came out in the 80s. What are you driving with such big wing mirrors,Shogun sport or simalar.Mirrors on mine suffice but need to change.van clean lost a wheel trim,heck thats life.

Hope to here form you soon

Rob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts