Electric charges at Belchenblick

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Has anyone who has booked with The Caravan Club to stay at Camping Belchenblick (in the Black Forrest)? Beware....there is confussion over EHU charges.

We recently stayed there, having booked on the understanding that EHU was included as stated in the invoice price. I was informed as I checked in that electric was to be paid in full by myself before departure.

It would appear that CC bookings no longer include EHU in spite of the brocure stating that it is included.

Full marks to the C.C. because when I phoned them they investiged and called me back to acknowledge that the misunderstanding was their fault and agreed to repay me upon return......Which they did.

BUT.....Belchenblick are charging 60 Cents per unit (Kilowatt / hour) for electric which seems very very expensive, resulting in me having to pay 180 Euros in cash (no cards of any description are taken in most of Germany).

So. If you plan to go there, be prepared to shell out a lot of money for electric.

Brum

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
50 to 60 cents per kilowatt is a fairly standard rate in Germany at those campsites with metered charges for electricity. Those that do not have meters but have a flat rate usually charge around 2.50 Euros per night.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Don't mind paying, but 180 Euros (144 pounds) for 15 nights !!!!!!!!!!.

My winter electric bill for a four bedroomed house was only 175 pounds for 3 months.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I agree. It's a bit steep. I would have challenged them to recheck the meter reading. After all, 180 Euros is 300kW and that, over 15 nights, is 20kW per night. That's about twice our average daily consumption for our entire household at home. To consume 30kW per night would have required almost uninterrupted use of electric heating or some other energy-intensive piece of equipment.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
We used as little electric as possible. Alde Heating and water on 1Kw and the fridge freezer. The microwave was used only once for 20 seconds (to soften the butter). Battery charger was also on which kept the battery charged while it ran the TV and Sat receiver. Lights also used as required.

Another family was charged more than we were - 250 Euros for 13 nights but they sometimes ran a heater in the awning at meal times.

This "other" family booked via a different agent and were told about having to pay for electricity direct to the site but were advised that it would only ammount to "a few pounds per day". Imagine their shock when having to pay another 50% of their holiday costs on electric.

Be warned!

Brum.

PS

In spite the electric charges, we still rate Belchenblick as a good and very clean site.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Based on the information given, the consumption should not have amounted to 20kW per night. If you stayed at other sites with metered readings, how did the consumption (in kW, not Euros) compare? If it was significantly less than 20kW, it would lead one to suspect that either the meters at Belchenblick had been 'tweaked' to run faster or the person taking the meter readings had 'generously' rounded up. It would certainly be a case for keeping an eye on whoever takes the meter readings when you get your hook-up on arrival and again before your departure.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Is it possible to see the meters for individual hook-ups?? If this is possible, then it would seem sensible to take a 'before' and 'after' photograph showing the meter readings, so that any dispute can be backed up with evidence. I'm not sure where such meters are (as though we've stayed at Belchenblick some years ago we didn't pay separately for electricity), but I would have thought that sites would have to supply some actual evidence that you had consumed the amount of electricity that they are charging you for - and therefore that an individual meter must be available somewhere to photograph.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
All the metered sites that I've been to had the meter installed at the post where the cable is hooked up. Normally, the warden would come and unlock the post, take the reading, hook up and lock it again and do the reverse before you leave. If you stand next to the warden while he takes the reading, you can check for yourself.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Based on the information given, the consumption should not have amounted to 20kW per night. If you stayed at other sites with metered readings, how did the consumption (in kW, not Euros) compare? If it was significantly less than 20kW, it would lead one to suspect that either the meters at Belchenblick had been 'tweaked' to run faster or the person taking the meter readings had 'generously' rounded up. It would certainly be a case for keeping an eye on whoever takes the meter readings when you get your hook-up on arrival and again before your departure.
We did not stay on other sites to compare.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Is it possible to see the meters for individual hook-ups?? If this is possible, then it would seem sensible to take a 'before' and 'after' photograph showing the meter readings, so that any dispute can be backed up with evidence. I'm not sure where such meters are (as though we've stayed at Belchenblick some years ago we didn't pay separately for electricity), but I would have thought that sites would have to supply some actual evidence that you had consumed the amount of electricity that they are charging you for - and therefore that an individual meter must be available somewhere to photograph.
We stayed there during 2004 and the electric was included in the site fee

TRENDING THREADS