Electric heater problem

Jan 7, 2023
Visit site
As with previous posts, my Truma heater is not working on 240v. The green light flashes momentarily when trying to switch on but then stays off. No switches appear to trip and everything else works in my motorhome on 240v. Any advice would be welcomed

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As with previous posts, my Truma heater is not working on 240v. The green light flashes momentarily when trying to switch on but then stays off. No switches appear to trip and everything else works in my motorhome on 240v. Any advice would be welcomed

Hi and welcome to the forum, I feel sure that some will be able to offer suggestions but if you supply the Truma model number and even pictures it will really help.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dougmac, and welcome to the forum.

As I am sure you will appreciate problems like yours are most quickly resolved by an experienced person who can check various features of the appliance first hand. Trying to resolve some problems through a forum is often difficult either becasue the symptoms are not correctly understood or reported to us correctly, and we have no way of knowing the competence of the correspondent to undertake investigations or repairs.

Fundamentally no heating means that current is not passing through the elements, the problem is we don't know why that is. it could be:-

A failure in the 230Vac mains supply to the appliance.

The appliance's control circuit may not be transferring the power through to the elements - Could it be you have not followed the instructions to use the appliance correctly?

There will be a number of thermal protection devices which for one or more reasons may have triggered and are preventing the current reaching the elements.

The elements may have failed

If it turns out to be a thermal fuse or over temperature switch, then you need to establish why it may have gone over temperature, and prevent it from happening again. It could be an element has gone faulty and is getting hotter becasue of the fault.

It's far from unknown for some thermal fuses to become more sensitive with age and it may simply have worn out.

Air circulation fans in caravan heating system are notorious for getting clogged with dust. The reduced air flow could have caused the elements to get hotter than is safe.

Those are just some of the possible reasons.

Bearing in mind we are dealing with 230Vac mains power, and that has obvious dangers, if you are competent with a multimeter you could start to trace the power circuits to narrow down where the problem could be. If your not confident then really it's a job for someone who is competent.

Reactions: Kingsley
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Id fully expect the ultraheats low voltage transformer has blown and now needs replacing, either as a whole or repaired by replacing just the transformer

Jan 7, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. All sounds a bit too ‘techy’ for me. So I’ll take it to the experts.

Attachments

• 1B34371A-788D-45F4-B901-92565CCFC06C.jpeg
    1B34371A-788D-45F4-B901-92565CCFC06C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • F494B2DB-CF52-4677-9135-7A5CD6AB34E8.jpeg
    F494B2DB-CF52-4677-9135-7A5CD6AB34E8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: ProfJohnL

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Good plan to get an expert in. We had a van with those rotary type switches ( although Whale not Truma). We had an intermittent fault in that the heating would sometimes come on and sometimes not, or come on and then go off and not come back on. After some fault finding the techie narrowed it down to the switch. A contact somewhere within the switch had worn or moved so it was only making intermittent contact depending on how you set it. May or may not be relevant, but worth a check if nothing else presents itself as a fault.
mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dougmac welcome to the forum i would also get a caravan engineer in he will sort it for you .

Jan 7, 2023
Visit site
Good plan to get an expert in. We had a van with those rotary type switches ( although Whale not Truma). We had an intermittent fault in that the heating would sometimes come on and sometimes not, or come on and then go off and not come back on. After some fault finding the techie narrowed it down to the switch. A contact somewhere within the switch had worn or moved so it was only making intermittent contact depending on how you set it. May or may not be relevant, but worth a check if nothing else presents itself as a fault.
mel
Thanks for all replies. Looks like a job for the professionals though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts