Electric hookup

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, can anyone clarify the actual rules (if any) for site owners charging seperately for electric hook-ups, As I have heard
ead several comments that they are not now allowed to charge seperately or charge obviously inflated prices ie. £2-3 per night per pitch. Is there a guideline that should be followed or is it up to the site owner to set and charge what they like? any comments appreciated Mark...

PS I do have alternative power sources for when on site, But hookup is convenient on a longer stay?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I understand it, you can no longer sell-on electricity at a higher price than you paid for it. This stops unscrupulous landlords selling electricity to tenants at highly inflated prices - good job too! But the same law also applies to campsite owners who can no longer charge for electricity at a price higher than they themselves are paying. But the only way of doing this would be to put a meter on every pitch which is, of course, totally non-economical.

To get around the problem of charging for electrics most sites now offer an 'all-in' price for a super pitch which is a couple of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
zbungle, thanks for a very clear and concise answer. It is a pleasant change to see somebody actually answer the query that was raised.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree Zbungle does explain the situation well. I am not sure how we got to this situation by including campsites unless they took into account static sites where owners could be subject to the miss selling of electricity. I suppose whether a campsite decides to play by the rules is neither here not there (unless you are prepared to complain) what you have to take into account is the total price per night you pay compared to other sites.

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damian, I am happy to pay the charge and appreciate the installation and maintainance costs.It is though getting harder to opt out. In the days of old you could have a pitch that had EHU but not use it, so no payment. Now that the cost is inclusive you are paying for the hire of the EHU in the pitch fee, so you pay whether you use electricity or not.

The sites that do have non electric pitches tend to have them in the least desirable part of the site.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree, Ray, but I do not have the answer to what can be done to change the situation.I guess, the only way forward is for the sites to have to fit meters, either PAYG or read them at the start and finish of your stay, and charge accordingly. If this happens, I can only see site fees increasing as a result of the extra work involved.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts