electric step

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi, My electric step has stopped working on auto when you turn the ignition on. It works fine on the manual switch. Any advice where to start looking? Many thanks .

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
There will be a relay somewhere (little box about 3cm, with 4 wires), which connects the step's motor to the ignition circuit. There will also be a fuse somewhere along the way, not normally in the base vehicles fusebox. One or other of those has failed, unless a wire has simply come off. If you can find the fuse, try replacing that first as it'll only cost a few pence, but the relay won't be expensive either.
Post exactly what your motorhome is, and if someone is familiar with it they will tell you where to look.

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi Tony, Thanks for quick reply. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, just got back from work. My van is a Pilote Galaxy 44 on an 02 plate. Once again many thanks for the help.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I put a link to your post on a Facebook group called Motorhome annd Campervans UK, here are some of the replies, see if they help. One guy also posted a set of diagrammes.

Sean Birch has it got a sargent fuse box fitted ? ours is behind the drivers seat,,,,it has a fuse in there ....some people remove it themselves to stop the step going in and out every time to unlock or lock your van,,,it might have blown....

Richard Bayliss I had a problem similar to this and I sent the Sargent control box, not fuse back to them and they changed a capitor (I think I rember right) which controlled the step. It was the unit in the wardrobe which housed the 240v RCD and the switches for the Hot water etc. If you speak to Sargent technical they might be able to help. 01482 678981.

Steve Jones There will most likely be 2 fuses too; one on the manual feed and one on the auto feed

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Now my problem is that I think the step operating automatically is dangerous: if I unlock as a pedestrian is passing or near to a parked vehicle etc. I'd **** to disable the automatic operation. So can I just remove a fuse.....?
This is on a 2010 Autotrail Tracker fitted with Sergeant box

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'd have thought that would be a nuisance, since I expect it would disable the step completely. A tidier solution might be to have a switch fitted, to operate when you need it?
I share your dislike of machines which think they know what I want to do!

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
It has a manual switch too - but if you oress the remote fob or dashboard lock switch the step flies in and out like a guillotine. Very worried about grandchildren's fingers but no injuries yet!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts