Electric

Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi can anyone help was away everything working great got home went out this weekend connected 240v but only getting power if battery charger is in on position switch it and no power thanks in advance

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You need to be much more informative about the problem.
When connected to the mains do you have mains power to the mains electric sockets?
Do you mean that with the mains and battery charger Off, you have no lights and water pump?

Presumably you do have a battery fitted in the battery locker?and connected to its leads?
Have you checked the fuses?

What van do you have and what power distribution system is it? the choices are BCA, Nordelettronica or Sargent? or if the van is quite old, some other system such as Zig?

Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
You need to be much more informative about the problem.
When connected to the mains do you have mains power to the mains electric sockets?
Do you mean that with the mains and battery charger Off, you have no lights and water pump?

Presumably you do have a battery fitted in the battery locker?and connected to its leads?
Have you checked the fuses?

What van do you have and what power distribution system is it? the choices are BCA, Nordelettronica or Sargent? or if the van is quite old, some other system such as Zig?
Hi apologies new to caravan World right battery is converted and its nordelettronica 143 ne rm and control panel ne171 nordelettronica panel no lights on when plug in 240v lights up 14.5 no power or lights on in van mode switch battery charger on everything works thanks

Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
battery conected no lights on control panel nordelettronica Ne171 put 240v power on control panel lights up 14.5 no lights or power to sockets until switch battery charger on then every thing work nordelettronica 143 ne rm

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ok, so you have a Swift caravan which , unfortunately for you, has the infamously bad Nord system.

The very best advice I can give you is to ring Paul or one of his team at Apuljack Engineering.
They will talk you through some checks , so be in the van when you call, and advise what needs doing.
They are , in my opinion the VERY BEST at repairing to better than new all Nord stuff, and their turnaround time is fast and reasonably priced.
You will almost certainly have to send them some parts of your system, so when you go to remove any of it, take photos of the connections BEFORE disconnecting !!!!

Last edited:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mike and Irene
Everything that Damian said about the Nordellectronica battery charger and control panel is true, they were substandard.
Mine has been rebuilt by Apauljack, it's better than new now but I always leave the battery charger switch on.
I'm not sure if switching the charger off will stop.the 230v system from working, I'll try it tomorrow and will let you know.
The 12v works by pressing the middle control panel button with the battery charger switch in the On position.

With the ehu lead connected the display will show the leisure battery voltage if the charger is switched on.
As a matter of interest why would you switch off the battery charger when the caravan is connected via a ehu lead to mains power?
The battery charger will keep your leisure battery charged.

Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi Mike and Irene
Everything that Damian said about the Nordellectronica battery charger and control panel is true, they were substandard.
Mine has been rebuilt by Apauljack, it's better than new now but I always leave the battery charger switch on.
I'm not sure if switching the charger off will stop.the 230v system from working, I'll try it tomorrow and will let you know.
The 12v works by pressing the middle control panel button with the battery charger switch in the On position.

With the ehu lead connected the display will show the leisure battery voltage if the charger is switched on.
As a matter of interest why would you switch off the battery charger when the caravan is connected via a ehu lead to mains power?
The battery charger will keep your leisure battery charged.
Hi new to caravaning world thought when battery was fully charged switch of charger was doing this when away and was working fine just checked the battery is flat wondering if this could be what is wrong no display on control panel saying how much power in the battery will charge it up and check after that thanks mike

Reactions: Parksy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is a wide history of the Nordellectronica systems being poor, and as the previous contributors have pointed out Apauljack have rebuilt some of these units with excellent results. If yours is faulty then that is definitely the way to go.

But you have now clarified that your battery may be flat - which of course will affect the 12V systems in the caravan. However it should not affect the 230V mains circuits, they should power up when the mains hook up cable is connected, and the mains consumer unit is all set to on.

You suspect your may be flat, we cant confirm that for you, but it could be a number of other things. One thing that occurs to me based on the description you give.

When you get 14.5V showing on the panel when the mains power is turned on, but absolutely nothing when mains is off, suggests to me the 12V battery is not connected, or has failed. If the battery was connected but flat, the voltage shown on the panel would most likely be somewhat lower than 14.5V .

The battery usually has a fuse (typically 20A) in its positive cable. If this has blown it could give rise to symptoms you describe. But it raises the question of why has it blown, something has caused it - for example if the battery was accidentally connected the wrong way round.

What I do urge is that if you are not sure about how to find faults with electrics not just 230V mains but even 12V its best to have checked professionally as safety is involved.

Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
There is a wide history of the Nordellectronica systems being poor, and as the previous contributors have pointed out Apauljack have rebuilt some of these units with excellent results. If yours is faulty then that is definitely the way to go.

But you have now clarified that your battery may be flat - which of course will affect the 12V systems in the caravan. However it should not affect the 230V mains circuits, they should power up when the mains hook up cable is connected, and the mains consumer unit is all set to on.

You suspect your may be flat, we cant confirm that for you, but it could be a number of other things. One thing that occurs to me based on the description you give.

When you get 14.5V showing on the panel when the mains power is turned on, but absolutely nothing when mains is off, suggests to me the 12V battery is not connected, or has failed. If the battery was connected but flat, the voltage shown on the panel would most likely be somewhat lower than 14.5V .

The battery usually has a fuse (typically 20A) in its positive cable. If this has blown it could give rise to symptoms you describe. But it raises the question of why has it blown, something has caused it - for example if the battery was accidentally connected the wrong way round.

What I do urge is that if you are not sure about how to find faults with electrics not just 230V mains but even 12V its best to have checked professionally as safety is involved.
Thanks for advice will check fuse then get it checked over the battery was totally dead would even attempt to move the motor mover the 14.5 showing on panel I thought that was voltage going to battery when connected to mains thanks

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Some of your interior light are 12v, the water pump and electric toilet flush (if fitted) run on 12 volt as does the cooker and water heater ignition systems.
The Nordellectronica display panel will use 12 v for the display.
If Theres a battery problem the display should show an error message which will be E and then a number, but if your
leisure battery is discharged because you were turning off the battery charger you're unlikely to get a display on the panel.
Give the battery a charge and let us know what happens please.

Reactions: Mike&irene

TRENDING THREADS