Electrical and plumbing carry bags

Jan 21, 2018
Visit site
Hi guys, has anyone got any top tips on what to use when carrying your plug in cables etc and waterworks etc? I’ve used zippable bags but unfortunately the zips break really easy and then all the contents tend to spill out.
Thank you

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My 25m electric power cable winds up onto a cable roll which keeps it tidy and always ensures that the caravan plug is on the outside when you next come to use it. (safety too) My water drain hose is only a couple of foot long so sits in the cleaning bucket in the toilet compartment. Water filling tube is again around three foot of wide bore pipe and sits in the front locker on top of the spare wheel or gas bottles.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a cable reel for the cable. Cost next to nothing in a dealers and fits in the front locker without problem. Might not fit in a side locker though if you have a new Bailey.
Everything else just goes in the front locker without a bag or in a side locker if it fits.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When using an Electric Hook Up (EHU) cable it should be fully unwound from a reel to prevent over heating.

Even copper conductors have some resistance (Ohm's) to the flow of current (Amp's), and that resistance will hinder the flow of current resulting in some power (Watt's) losses as heat. You will also get a voltage drop across along the length of the conductor.

The recommended EHU should have cable with conductors of 2.5mm2 cross sectional area (CSA)

A length of copper conductor of 2.5mm2 cross sectional area will have a resitting of 7.41 milli-Ohms (mR) per meter length.

So each conductor in a 25M long EHU will have a total resistance of 1,852.5 mR or .185 Ohms.

As the EHU has both a Live and Neutral conductor, both of them will have the same resistance, and becasue the same current flows through both teh Live and Neutral we have to add the values together giving us a total of 2 x .185R = .37 Ohms total resitance in the EHU cable.

The heating effect of a Resistance is dependent on the current flowing through it and at full load that would be 16A.

Ohms law tells us that Power in watts will be Current x Current x Resistance:-

16A x 16A x .37R = 94.72 Watts. That nearly as much heat as an old style 100W filament bulb produced!.

Imagine an enclosed cable reel with that much heat being pumped into it, it wold soon start to heat up. Most EHU cables use a PVS insulation which is only rated to 70C, after which it starts to soften and the insulation may start to breakdown.

IF teh EHU is fully unwound the heating effect is only 94.72W/25M = 3.8 W per meter, and in the cable will easily dissipate that amount of heat to the open air and ground it lies on.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
When using an Electric Hook Up (EHU) cable it should be fully unwound from a reel to prevent over heating.

Even copper conductors have some resistance (Ohm's) to the flow of current (Amp's), and that resistance will hinder the flow of current resulting in some power (Watt's) losses as heat. You will also get a voltage drop across along the length of the conductor.

The recommended EHU should have cable with conductors of 2.5mm2 cross sectional area (CSA)

A length of copper conductor of 2.5mm2 cross sectional area will have a resitting of 7.41 milli-Ohms (mR) per meter length.

So each conductor in a 25M long EHU will have a total resistance of 1,852.5 mR or .185 Ohms.

As the EHU has both a Live and Neutral conductor, both of them will have the same resistance, and becasue the same current flows through both teh Live and Neutral we have to add the values together giving us a total of 2 x .185R = .37 Ohms total resitance in the EHU cable.

The heating effect of a Resistance is dependent on the current flowing through it and at full load that would be 16A.

16A x 16A x .37R = 94.72 Watts. That nearly as much heat as an old style 100W filament bulb produced!.

Imagine an enclosed cable reel with that much heat being pumped into it, it wold soon start to heat up. Most EHU cables use a PVS insulation which is only rated to 70C, after which it starts to soften and the insulation may start to breakdown.

IF teh EHU is fully unwound the heating effect is only 94.72W/25M = 3.8 W per meter, and in the cable will easily dissipate that amount of heat to the open air and ground it lies on.

Prof a very clear treatise on electrical theory. It could almost have been written by Hughes for “Electrical Technology. But where does it answer the OP’s stowage question? :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I still use the zipped bags most of which must be 10 years old. Getting a bit battered but no zip failure yet. I do spray the zips regularly with silicone spray for lubrication as I believe it extends their lifespan B)

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
otherclive said:
ProfJohnL said:

Prof a very clear treatise on electrical theory. It could almost have been written by Hughes for “Electrical Technology. But where does it answer the OP’s stowage question? :)

I don’t think the Prof was even attempting to answer tho OP’s question Clive, but instead was more concerned as I was with responsibly advising anyone who is unaware of the dangers drawing anything other than a very small amount of current through cable coiled around a small reel. He beat me to it although my reply wouldn’t have involved any figures !

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
otherclive said:
ProfJohnL said:

I don’t think the Prof was even attempting to answer tho OP’s question Clive, but instead was more concerned as I was with responsibly advising anyone who is unaware of the dangers drawing anything other than a very small amount of current through cable coiled around a small reel. He beat me to it although my reply wouldn’t have involved any figures !

Succinctly put:)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm like Clive my cable sits on a 25m cable roll but is fully Unwound when used and stored underneath the van depending how long or short the distance from the EHU is , my wastemaster sits in the front Locker with my aqua rolll placed on top like a jiggsaw puzzle that fits spot on and my chocks go to the right hand side of the gas bottles and bits and bobs in the middle!!
Craig .

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
i do admitt that i have bought cheap thin 1 with a zip on and lasted 5 min.so i bought a wastemaster and aqua roll bag from dealer on fleabay.was nt too far from me either.i asked them for a cable bag too..so they made 1 to my specs,and didnt cost much more than the cheaper 1.I will try and add a photo later or tomoz .Its made from a nylon poly mix and the inside is smooth to the touch and wipeable.with piped edges and nice n thick but lightweight .weve had them prob 10 years and there still like new.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If you have a TKMaxx nearby they sell stout 'shopping bags' by the tills in many different colours/patterns 79p or larger 99p. These would be ideal for storage/carrying and are light and easy to store flat when empty. B&Q may still sell their black carry-out bags by the till - I use a couple for laundry bags in the 'van - flat when empty and carries the dirties right to the washing machine when we get home! Or you could try dedicated storage bags from many sellers on ebay.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We've got one of them big laundry bags that just sits in the shower (as we don't use it) and just gets filled up , zippppped up then put in the boot when filled up :sick: . Bin liners & bags just tend to split.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I used to bag all sorts of kit - the Aquaroll, Wastemaster, couple of loungers, the satellite dish kit and probably other stuff too. Then I had one of my regular weight purges, and realised that many of these bags are pretty heavy duty fabric and its quite revealing how much they weigh collectively, so all ditched now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For EHU cable ( on reel) plus adaptors for Europe Lidl shopping bag - the fabric sort with two metal ring handles. For water connections etc. lidle shoppin basket, fabric, the sort with a folding metal handle and whoch will fold down flat. Available in solid co.our or attractive blue/white polka dots.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts