Electrical Cable Issue

Apr 24, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone or indeed everyone help me with a problem I have :-
Collected a brand new Adria van on 01/03/19 - last Thursday evening (Bank holiday weekend) arrived on site to find the cable which attaches the electrics from the car to the van had become detached from underneath the A-frame. It was still plugged in to the back of the car but the length of cable which had been dragging along the ground had almost split in one area and has scuffing in others. The area where it has almost split in two is at the back of the A-frame closest to the van and furthest away from the car. The dealer says it’s user error as you are supposed to check that this cable is securely attached before each journey, we have only been vanners for two and a half years and have never checked this cable assuming that it’s an intergral part of the van! What do you guys think?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
Askandshack, I think that sadly the dealer is right. From what you say the caravan has a long length of cable and this has been hanging very low which risks it grounding. If this is the case it can rub through the cable insulation and as seems to be the case here it has caught on something and pulled the cable out from the caravan. You do need to be sure the cable is well clear of the road which in my case means running the cable over the A frame to keep it clear of the ground.
I am sorry but if the cable was hitting the road this should have been obvious and some action taken.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've moved this query and the relevant part of the reply from Raywood from a separate post from another forum user.
If you have a question please try not to hijack someone else's earlier question, start a separate thread.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If the OPs van had cable retainers like the one shown in the video it’s hardly surprising they popped out. Didn’t Adria gain a top place rating for new and used caravans? That’s them
off of my list then and they are not British-made but better check UK made new vans as they too probably use similar clipping to retain the cable.

I think that the OP should show his dealer the video and see the reaction. But from their response so far they would probably only put a couple of new clips on!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Had a look at the video. There looks to be a lot of cable and it looks as if it could hit the road if just taken direct to the cars plug. It does happen, as I know someone else who had the same problem.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
When we first bought ours I thought mine was a bit long so on our return trip from the first site we went to with it I wrapped it round the A-frame then into the plug but on leaving the site it was a tight left turn ( Osmotherley caravan site ) and because it went tight it ripped the handbrake on and I nearly pooped myself thinking I had hit the fence or the van coming in !

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mines not overly too long but in order to ensure that the electric and breakaway cables stay off the ground I use a strip of Velcro tape to encircle them under the stabiliser handle. It’s loose so doesn’t affect their movement when cornering or would not inhibit the breakaway function.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I always put a gentle twist in the cable, by doing so, it is amazing how much it shortens it, tightens it and suspends it away from the road.

However, it sounds in this case as it has become disconnected from the caravan. Sounds more like a warranty issue if that is actually the case.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cables can be a pain, and I have used bungees on the jockey wheel handle to lift the cables up.

But I think if the securing clips have let go of the chassis allowing a greater length of cable to droop and touch the floor. The clips are insufficient to support the cable, and that is eitehr a design error on the part of Adra to supply strong enough clips or enough of them to secure the cable to the chassis.

No user should be expected to have to provide additional or stronger clips to secure the cable to the chassis. IIn my book the seller is liable under the Consumer Rights Act for not supplying clips that are fit for purpose. OR the cable supplied is longer than is necessary to allow full articulation.

Apr 24, 2019
Visit site
Thanks very much for all your comments they have been very helpful, unlike the dealer. According to the chap who is carrying out the repair there is only one cable retainer on the chassis when there should be three or four. It sounds like a flaw to me and we shall be taking it further.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Those clips in themselves are fine. However, it is also worth using a couple of long tie wraps round the entire A frame leg such that the cable simply passes loosely through, so that if some mishap dislodges the clip, the cable will still be caught.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On most of the caravans I've owned the cables/s run inside the A frame section. Aschrisn7 has said, it is ieasy to put acable tie or two round the A frame member and thus keep the cable contained and there is usually room to thread this in under the A frame fairing so it is not visible except from underneath.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
But the point tha Askandshack is queering is why should he need to reinforce it. Its an obvious issue and the design of the caravans (well its cabling and clips) is not adequate to retain the cable. The fact that many caravanners do have to reinforce the cable retention shows its a design flaw or the manufacture has failed to use enough clips.

The single clip is not fit for purpose.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Can't help thinking notwithstanding all the previous comments that the design problem should have been noticed and at least temporary remedial action taken until problem fixed permanently (very easy thing to carryout with bits of string).If the problem had been spotted and towing gone ahead despite knowing the problem existed would have been irresponsible.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Thingy said:
I always put a gentle twist in the cable, by doing so, it is amazing how much it shortens it, tightens it and suspends it away from the road.

I do the same, twist the cable two or three turns, shortens cable nicely, then on tight corners you've still got plenty of length.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I do the same, twist the cable two or three turns, shortens cable nicely, then on tight corners you've still got plenty of length.

Its the same principal as the spirally coiled suzies on artics. Allows, as you say, expansion on corners. I am however going to go underneath and add a couple of cable ties, just to be sure.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Like the Prof I do think from what has been said that there is a design issue there. Provided there is enough cable for the cornering I would still run the cable over the A frame though as this prevents any problem.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
You could do this, but the downside is it adds another set of terminals at both the added plug and socket, thus doubling the number of potential corrosion points.
There was a period when some upmarket vans had 12n and 12s sockets on the A frame fairing with detachable coiled cables to the car.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts