Electrical issue

Apr 10, 2022
Visit site
Hi Folks,

New to the form and caravaning.
Just bought a 2000 Baily Ranger 500/5.
When I bought it privately the EHU was connected to the caravan to show all electrics and appliances were working.
When I got home I connected the EHU and everything worked. Seen online you need to test the RCB.
I pressed the test button on the RCB and it tripped like it should. Problem is it won't stay up when try to turn it back on.

Tried to isolate the problem like I would in the house, unplugged and switched everything off. Disconnect the EHU and turned off the MCB's
But still the RCB won't stay up.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20220413_212509.jpg
    IMG_20220413_212509.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220413_212448.jpg
    IMG_20220413_212448.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its far from unknown for an RCD to fail. Unless you have the equipment and experience to do do the necessary checks for correct operation, I do advise you seek professional help.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Some circuit breaker switches have to be pushed up and held in place for a second or two before the breaker resets.
Worth a try before you get an electrician out.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Most annoying problem!
Ok, can you plug into a neighbours mains supply?Or try an alternative socket in the house.
Turn off all MCBs.
Try resetting RCD as described by Roger.
Are you sure All appliances are switched off including hot water heater and heating?
Are you using your own EHU cable for the first time? It is not unknown for the odd one to be incorrectly wired ,check it.
Changing an RCD is pretty easy but if you are uncertain get a spark to look at it.

Once you sort it please let us know. Solutions to these problems help everyone else on the Forum.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Actually changing the RCD (or an MCB) is not that easy. Many manufacturers (Bailey included) use an insulated busbar system which means unless you fit an identical RCD or MCB the connections may not line up and then you have a problem. We had the RCD fail on our 2010 Pegasus 462 about 6 years ago. I got a Schneider (formerly MEM) replacement that was identical size - except or the connections. The only solution was to replace the busbars with with suitably rated flex (which I had in stock) - and note FLEX as solid wire can break due to vibration.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Actually changing the RCD (or an MCB) is not that easy. Many manufacturers (Bailey included) use an insulated busbar system which means unless you fit an identical RCD or MCB the connections may not line up and then you have a problem. We had the RCD fail on our 2010 Pegasus 462 about 6 years ago. I got a Schneider (formerly MEM) replacement that was identical size - except or the connections. The only solution was to replace the busbars with with suitably rated flex (which I had in stock) - and note FLEX as solid wire can break due to vibration.
Perhaps I should have qualified “easy. “Four years ago I took my RCD to a city Electric shop. The guy found me an identical one I had no problems fitting it .I take the point they are not all the same. Except Prima Leisure will cost considerably more!

Reactions: Buckman
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Folks,

When I bought it privately the EHU was connected to the caravan to show all electrics and appliances were working.
When I got home I connected the EHU and everything worked. Seen online you need to test the RCB.
I pressed the test button on the RCB and it tripped like it should. Problem is it won't stay up when try to turn it back on.

Tried to isolate the problem like I would in the house, unplugged and switched everything off. Disconnect the EHU and turned off the MCB's

Any ideas?
Hi,
Could be you have a real good earth fault.

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I had a similar issue on a previous van. Turned everything off connected the EHU then one by one turned everything on turns out it was the RCD for the heater on electric side that tripped .
Fairly simple to replace. Was glad to be honest thought it was going to be a heating element replacement.

Not saying this is your issue but looks to me a failed RCD . Fairly common on older vans.. :unsure:

GAS ....

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar issue on a previous van. Turned everything off connected the EHU then one by one turned everything on turns out it was the RCD for the heater on electric side that tripped .
Fairly simple to replace. Was glad to be honest thought it was going to be a heating element replacement.

Not saying this is your issue but looks to me a failed RCD . Fairly common on older vans.. :unsure:

GAS ....
I would do the checks you have done first before condemning the RCD

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's very unlikely that any of us can be 100% certain of a particular fault just based on posted information. We may have some suggestions, but for both gas and electrical issues if there is a problem that goes deeper than checking if things are turned on, then you should only attempt repairs in a touring or self propelled motor caravan if you own it, and it's not lent or hired to anyone else. That is the law .

If it requires any sort of intervention beyond the user controls, for safety you should refer the issue to a competent fitter.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
To be honest I never check the earth leakage breaker, to me it's just wearing out the mechanical element of the breaker.

And really you should test both IMO.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
It is checked yearly by the service man.
As with most things that are standing by such as a pressure switch you can't always rely on them working when needed.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Any ideas?
Disconnect van from external electrical supply (EHU),then try to resei RCD.
then reconnect to EHU.
If that does'nt work then mechanical latch in RCD is faulty.Changeout RCD for a new one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts