Electricity Charges

We use a small site in Derbyshire and I have recently been told I will be charged for electricity whether I use it or not as the pitch has a supply. This seems most unfair, can this be done? Does any-one know I thought there were rules about this.

Christine

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
This is a by-product, I understand, of legislation designed to stop people in rented accomodation being overcharged for electricity.

The previous method on sites was to charge a fee for the pitch and a supplement for electicity.

Due to the regs, which came in a few years ago, this is prohibited. They can include it in the price of a pitch, but the only way to charge seperately would be to put a meter on each pitch, which, with the waterproof housings etc. would be far too expensive.

Now that the majority of units want hook-up (including trailer tents and even pure tents)the cost could not be justified.

I believe it may theoretically be possible, by disconnecting the supply to a pitch, to redesignate it as "non-supplied", but I am not aware of anybody who has actually done this.

I guess if you are going to be charged, you might as well get a lead and use it!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
C & CC sites often have a number of non-electric pitches, and when they've gone you have to pay for electric even if you don't use it. The only way to get an electric pitch without paying is if all of the following apply:

1. you book a non electric pitch

2. one or more non-electric are out of use due to flooding or some other reason

3. you are moved to an electric pitch

Personally I think there should be a get-out in the legislation, for instance if a unit is not equipped for electric (eg a small ridge tent) or someone can prove that they don't have a hook-up lead with them. It is certainly pretty silly to pay for something that you definitely won't use.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And another point. I am getting into cycle camping, and I might cycle to the IOW at Whitsun. The Chichester C & CC site is a logical overnight stop on the way to Portsmouth, but I know that all of the pitches are electric.

So will I - a bike, Bob Yak trailer and small dome tent - be charged for electricity? I hope not. I won't have to pay the full pitch fee, as I will be classed as a backpacker, but surely they don't charge backpackers for electric pitches? Does anyone know?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I work within the electric industry and yes they can charge you seperately for electric used if they have a supplier's licence. As this is unlikely ask the site to bill you seperately for the electric used and then send the receipt to the industry watchdog. I believe the fine is rather large. This also applies to the gas and water industry. They won't do it again!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian, I think I am right in saying that sites do not charge for electricity used, as they know that they cannot, unless they have the necessary licence.

What they actually do is charge for the "rental" for want of a better word, of the supply box outlet. The actual amount of electric used is not taken into account, so they are not "selling" electric, they are charging for the convenience of having it available at your pitch.

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
hi christine

the only true way to deal with this problem is to not use the site only when campers ,be they in 20pound tents or 20.000pound caravans show there dissaproval by moving on will sites start to appreiciate us more ,it is difficult sometimes particularly if we enjoy the site but how else can we prevent these type of stelth taxes being introduced to an already over inflated cost of a weekend away .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts