Electrics Problem on my Swift Challenger

Oct 16, 2007
Visit site
Hello, I'm Pretty new here, new to caravanning and would appreciate some advice.

I have a 1991 Challenger and it has developed a problem with the electrics, I am pretty handy but don't really know where to start trying to find the problem.

The problem is as follows -

When I hook up to the mains on site/at home one of the 2 fuses (the one on the right) in the KT12 charger unit keeps blowing. It was fitted with a 10a fuse, I have replaced the fuse with another 10a one but it blows instantly. The electrics are otherwise working fine, the mains (fridge, water heater & 240v sockets) all working fine and do not trip out, the 12v lights & water pump work ok off the battery. One thing I have noticed is that if I replace the fuse with one of 15a it doesn't blow and seems to work ok again, BUT as the KT12 is only rated to 12a I don't see this as a safe/viable solution.

If anyone has any ideas what might be causing this problem it would be greatly appreciated, especially if it is something simple, before I call out the (expensive) experts. Thanks Jody

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Used to have an ABI Transtar which had a similar problem, when I replaced the fuse on the charger and re-connected the mains or switched it on the fuse blew.

Fortunately I still had all the original paperwork and manuals, the one for the charger stipulated the use of a surge-protected fuse (never come across one before). My local electrical shop (a proper one, not one of the stack it high, sell it cheap, know nowt places) had some, so I popped one in and it never blew again in 7 years. I had still had spare ones when I sold the van.

Don`t know if applies to your van, but worth considering.

Sep 30, 2006
Visit site
Used to have an ABI Transtar which had a similar problem, when I replaced the fuse on the charger and re-connected the mains or switched it on the fuse blew.

Fortunately I still had all the original paperwork and manuals, the one for the charger stipulated the use of a surge-protected fuse (never come across one before). My local electrical shop (a proper one, not one of the stack it high, sell it cheap, know nowt places) had some, so I popped one in and it never blew again in 7 years. I had still had spare ones when I sold the van.

Don`t know if applies to your van, but worth considering.
They are also known as 'anti-surge' ot 'time delay' fuses.

Ron

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Let us know how you get on Jody, it`s always useful to know when and how people resolve their problems, many don`t bother which means others don`t get the benefit of your experience.

Angus

Oct 16, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

Sorry i didn't reply earlier I was waiting to see if the fuses turned up before passing on the address.

The web address is www.householdsuperstore.com

Although it did take nearly 2 weeks for them to come, so I found some at an Electrical wholesalers in Huddersfield called Harrisons their website is www.dharrisonandsons.co.uk not sure if they deliver though.

Hope this is of help.

Jody

Oct 16, 2007
Visit site
Hello Angus,

I will be going up to the caravan this weekend to try and fit / fix the problem, I'll let you know how we get on,

Thanks Jody

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts