Emergency Towing of a Twin-Axle

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
seth said:
A totally empty conqueror wieghs in at 1400kg.The tyre load rating is 88T ,this translates to 560kg each.Plus the normal 25% extra load bearing for unevenly loaded wieght.By my maths thats 1400kg or there abouts.

Running anything at 125% of its rated capacity (using up its contingency) is never a good plan. But you also make a good point about uneven weight across the axle, Its likley that even empty the caravan will also be uneven, thus one side will be more than 560. so its going to be over 125% one one side at least.

But It's not just about tyres, its all three elements the axle, the suspension and the tyres.

A further point which you alluded too earlier, If one axle is twisted, it must have had quite an impact. Who knows how the impact may have missaligend other componets on the chassis affecting the geometry and alignment of the remaining axle. The more I think about this caravan the more it shouts get it lifted and carried not towed.

But returning to the more recent postings, put quite simply attempting to tow a TA caravan with only one active axle is foolish. And in a non emergency situation like the OP's posting, the vehicle is simply not roadworthy and is illegal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First and formost damage aside, the law quite plainly states that in the case of a twin axle trailer all four wheels must be in contact with the road surface, it would be illegal to tow with one or both wheels not in place, unless it is fitted with a lift axle, but you will not find these on a caravan Chasis, unless you go back to the eighties when Abbey (think that was the manufacturer) fitted one, but that was only for use when manoeuvring the caravan, when on the road all four wheels had to be in use.
Re the HGV trailer spring, to the best of my knowledge these have not been used for years, and have been mainly replaced by Air Suspension. It was difficult to tell if you had a broken spring as they were multi springs, and you could normally continue with your journey, in fact it was more than likely that the break would not be spotted untill service time.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
seth said:
A totally empty conqueror wieghs in at 1400kg.The tyre load rating is 88T ,this translates to 560kg each.Plus the normal 25% extra load bearing for unevenly loaded wieght.By my maths thats 1400kg or there abouts.
Firstly, 25% extra is not "normal". Besides, if the tyres are rated at 560kg, it's unlikely that each axle is rated at more than 1100kg. Add a "normal" safety factor of 10% and you're still way below 1400kg. Whichever way you look at it, he's over the limit.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Parksy is correct.

Every motor insurance policy has a due diligence type clause that demands the insured takes good care and ensures their vehicle is in a good legal condition. This applies to trailers and caravans being towed.
If the OP follows Seth's advice then the Insurer will be fully justified in rejecting any claim that arises.

In general Parksy is correct, but Third party insurance will remain in place even in this instance. The insurance company will claim back from the tower and third party claims. Did you check with your insurance company before making this claim? I did which is why I now know about the third party element.
The police would not prosecute you for no insurance either as third party insurance is in place. I am not condoning the actions of the person in question and would not suggest that any one attempt something so foolhardy.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
The facts are there for everyone to read.Ive not made them up.I would be interested to know were the law states the situation about towing a four wheel trailer in an emergency.Im not really sure how to take some off these replies,or how reliable they are."no springs on trailers today."Funny really because the six i have,have all got road springs and air bags,unless of course the airbags are not secured to anything on the bases.Strange really because my oldest is 2003 as well.
So really were insurance is concerned even a vehicle with a road light defect shouldnt be on the road,because after all its a defect.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The simple facts of the original posting are now being lost in silly argument as to who is right and wrong.
The FACT is the OP has damaged his axle , presumably on the way to the site, what he was proposing was not an "Emergency" situation but a standard tow home, with a damaged axle .
The FACTS are that had he done that, he would almost certainly have had a severe accident involving other innocent people on the road.
The FACT is the safest way of sorting his return home is to have the caravan recovered on a flat bed, unless he can get a replacement axle and have it fitted, but the geometry of the chassis would need to be checked as well.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
seth said:
I would be interested to know were the law states the situation about towing a four wheel trailer in an emergency.I
I doubt whether there is any law which specifically refers to such a situation but it falls under the general heading of an unroadworthy vehicle within the meaning of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Yes Lutz i doubt it too.But if people choose to read my post properly i actually did say "the safest way without a recovery is............"
And since when does a prediction become a fact Damian?The replies here are basically a load of peoples opinion not fact.Text book springs to my mind.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
When I worked for a living, we had a car salvage place in the area which held autions weekly. A growing trend was for people to buy damaged vehicles and then tow them away on an unbraked dolly. Therefore in most cases, as the combination was in excess of 750 kg it became an unbraked trailer. More research was done, and it was found that the dollies were intended for emergency use only, which was defined as "taking a vehicle from a place of danger to a place of safety". Successful prosecutions followed in every case.
Therefore I would regard this scinario in exactly the same way. The caravan is now in a safe place, so therefore shouldn't be taken back onto the road, other than on the back of a vehicle equipped to carry it.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
seth said:
Yes Lutz i doubt it too.But if people choose to read my post properly i actually did say "the safest way without a recovery is............"
And since when does a prediction become a fact Damian?The replies here are basically a load of peoples opinion not fact.Text book springs to my mind.

This topic is drifting away from it's original query and you seem to be arguing just for arguments sake Seth.
It's one thing to hold different opinions to each other, but where road safety and the possibility of traffic laws being broken are being debated it's best to err on the side of caution. Arguments about sprung trailers and how they should be recovered if damaged have no bearing on the original point which concerns a t/a caravan with a seriously damaged axle.
A site operator asked the opinion of experienced touring caravan owners, the concensus is that the caravan should be trailer recovered and / or repaired before it is taken onto the roads, so let's leave it at that please.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts