Emptying aqualroll

jo3

Jul 3, 2007
Visit site
Haven't been caravanning long and am unsure about the etiquette with regard to emptying aquaroll at end of stay. I always take it to the drain along with wastemaster, but as it is clean water would it be ok to empty on the grass next to van?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If we have clean water left over when we pack up I usually pour it along the nearest hedge or trees.

I would not pour it onto the pitch as it is more than likely a new arrival will pitch on the site before it has had time to soak in, and it may cause them a rather unpleasant time if they kneel in it.

jo3

Jul 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jo

We too are quite new and i must be honest, and say we have emptied the fresh water on the grass, however it's been very little.

Angela
Thanks for replies. I will empty nearer van from now on. Cheers

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Having encountered this issue only yesterday, I had about a 1/3rd of the aqua roll left, and luckily enough we had a stream behind our pitch, so I just emptied it in there :)

Other than that I would empty it on the perimiter, not into the waste, I think thats criminal, or, empty into a bowl, then clean your windows, or any other muck (birds)

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
I think we always empty ours on the grass.

So far (newbies) we've only been away for long weekends and only have a little water left to throw away. Initially we found we got through an aquaroll a day - which seemed quite a lot (for a couple who didn't use the onboard shower), so we cut back a bit and got through 2 aquarolls on a 3 night break.

Anyway, the point is, we ensured we didn't have too much (a whole aquaroll) left when we had to pack up and go. We tend to empty it on the grass - though not on the pitch, or anywhere it may do some good - fresh water isn't a waste product and will do some good wherever it goes, except on the pitch where it will make everything soggy!

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Many of the sites I visit are borderd by hedges and plants and if I have clean water to dispose of I water the hedges and plants with it. If it's summer and the grass is looking parched we water that away fom the caravan spot where you kneel in it;-0

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Like others, I water the hedges etc......but what about the hot water cylinder - if I pull the drain plug on this it floods hot water all over the pitch - not so bad on gravel or sand, but can't be good for a nice grass pitch! Any suggestions for draining the hot water?

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Keith,

I only do rallies now and when emptying the water heater we make sure it's turned off after the morning washing up is finished. It will cool itself during the rest of the stay, as we don't leave the rally field until around 16:00. If we need to do any washing up at lunch time we use the on site amenities, or take the items home with us, hope this helps,

best regards, Martin

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Like others, I water the hedges etc......but what about the hot water cylinder - if I pull the drain plug on this it floods hot water all over the pitch - not so bad on gravel or sand, but can't be good for a nice grass pitch! Any suggestions for draining the hot water?
Procedure I follow with the hot water:

Turn off heater

Put bucket under caravan to catch water

Open tap

When bucket full add cheapest pine disinfectant

Empty waste container and connect back to waste outlet

Pour hot water & disinfectant down all sinks in van

Take wastmaster to disposal point sloshing around hot water etc.

All systems empty and clean

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EASIEST WAY TO EMPTY THE WATER HEATER IS:-

1 TURN OFF THE WATER HEATER FROM THE MAINS OR GAS

2 RUN THE HOT WATER TAP TILL COLD RUNS THROUG

3 EMPTY THE TANK NOW AS THE WATER IS COLD AND WILL DO THE GRASS NON HARM

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Graham, Happy-Lappy and Klarky - Thanks for the tips. I particularly like Graham's idea but might be a bit lazy to do it every time when touring!

Keith

Jan 8, 2006
Visit site
Keith,

I only do rallies now and when emptying the water heater we make sure it's turned off after the morning washing up is finished. It will cool itself during the rest of the stay, as we don't leave the rally field until around 16:00. If we need to do any washing up at lunch time we use the on site amenities, or take the items home with us, hope this helps,

best regards, Martin
And what ralies do you get site facilities on, I have rallied with a lot of centres and have yet to come across one with facilities in over 30 years. J.Lo

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
And what ralies do you get site facilities on, I have rallied with a lot of centres and have yet to come across one with facilities in over 30 years. J.Lo
J Lo,

I rally with the Avon Centre and we get to rally on a lot of commercial sites. hen we are on your normal rally field, this is when we take the washing up home with us,

best regards, Martin

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
We have never emptied the water heater apart from when leaving it unused for the winter in the past.

We have never had a problem with any caravan water heater but know that others who drain them down when they move have.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all.

cold water out of the aqua roll goes in the nearest hedge.

after disconnecting the mains ect the hot water from the heater is drained into a bucket and used for washing the van, car,wastehog, aqua roll btm, awning skirt, ect, ect,

waste not, want not, as my granny used to say,

colin

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
We've found that we had no gurgling and glugging and air locks if we left it full and no spitting and puffing from the taps, and the heaters have never burn out if it were to get turned on with no water in it.

Keeping work to minimum on site is my idea of caravanning Colin;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts