Energy Usage

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi To All

With the debate on Energy now at the forefront of politics etc, would now not be a good time for the Caravan Clubs and Associations to publish energy saving tips with regard to Caravans.

Some ideas I was thinking of, Shower Blocks on all CC sites all water heated by Solar ? Wind Turbine Generating power into the Grid in winter, returned in Summer i.e negative use.

Batteries should you charge at home/storage site from the grid ? is the network electricity more green than the cars alternator ??

Just a couple of thoughts that could portray caravanners in a more environmental friendly manner.

Val & Frank

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
When we park our vans in Green fields for our hols, we have not used the resources it would take to build and run a hotel and light and heat it.

We've used a bit of fuel to get from Home A to site B, but have not sprayed thousand of lbs of Av Gas into the air flying BA, Virgin or Easy Jet. My van has solar power and Electrical and Gas Usage is minimal compared to using a hotel.

A van when empty uses virtualy no resorces and needs minimal maintenance. Not the case with near empty hotels!

I think caravanning is "greener" than many would have you believe already !

In the winter most camp sites return to their natural "green" state and many provide winter grazing for animals and hedge rows homes to a wide variety of wild life, try getting a Neon lit Hotel or Guest House to blend back into the natural environment !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the Government announcing its energy plans for the future today, now is a good time to take stock. It is my belief that on our houses we would be better of if we all had our own Solar panels for electricity and heating and a small wind turbine to do the same in the winter months. It should not be that difficult with modern technology.

Does anybody else see a problem with the utility companies making ruddy great wind turbines, nuclear power plants, gas fired power stations etc and then having to transport the energy to us?

Would it not be better if we became self efficient units?

Or is this idea not attractive to the public utility companies and Government as it would make us all too independent?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the Government announcing its energy plans for the future today, now is a good time to take stock. It is my belief that on our houses we would be better of if we all had our own Solar panels for electricity and heating and a small wind turbine to do the same in the winter months. It should not be that difficult with modern technology.

Does anybody else see a problem with the utility companies making ruddy great wind turbines, nuclear power plants, gas fired power stations etc and then having to transport the energy to us?

Would it not be better if we became self efficient units?

Or is this idea not attractive to the public utility companies and Government as it would make us all too independent?
woops - should read "self sufficient efficient units"

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
All I do that is considered energy efficient is place my solar panel on the roof in storage and charge the battery using a charge controler. don't do it to be green, more a fact of needing to as it would be impossible to charge without removing.

As for the suggestions, who is going to pay for all the equipment? Are you happy with increased prices just to show how green we can be?

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
I have a "flexible" very light weight solar panel from the States that was unused apart from at a few trade shows it is bonded to the vans roof and a flat cable runs through bathroom roof vent so it needed no holes making in the van. It charges battery and will run Note Pad PC and 12 volt TV.

On bright sunny days we use it to run a small 12 volt fan to keep the air moving in the van.

A "green" neighbour kindly informed me that the maufacturing of solar panels is not very green and that I will be doing nothing to save the planet by having it!

For me it provides convenience and we do not draw as much electic on site + I have not had to replace the battery as it never goes flat and sulphates.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Frank,

Like the previous respondents, I believe that Caravanning is already considerably 'greener' than living at home or certainly using a hotel etc.

When Caravanning, it is amazing how concious you become about the amount of water you use, the 12v/230v power and the gas, not to mention the toilet etc.

But back to your question about charging the battery, the big power generators are at best only about 40% efficient at converting coal/gas to power, and you car engine is only 12% of fuel to electrical power from the alternator.

There are alternatives such as solar, and wind. It all rather depends on how much power you use vs the convenience of the alternatives.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts